Favorite Gp2X Freeware Games Not Ported To Wiz

vaustein

I recently picked up a Wiz for $99 @ ThinkGeek. It's everything I want in a handheld: long battery life, highly portable, raw power with stable 700MHz overclock, hardware volume controls, and DPAD/D-button layout that's a perfect fit for my thumbs. The Pandora is more power at greater financial expense than I really need.

Unfortunately, between the lack of Wiz back-compat w/ GP2X and this community's understandable focus on porting open source projects to the Pandora, some really great GP2X freeware is falling through the cracks. The following freeware projects were excellent on the GP2X, and I'd really like to see these on the Wiz. I'm not optimistic about that happening, though, since these were released for the 2X around 2007-2008, and the developers likely have moved on to other things.

• Garden of Coloured Lights (Garden2x)
  • Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari
  • Electronia
  • Waternet
  • Egoboo

If any of these are playable on the Wiz via compatibility layer or other solution, please let me know.

Here is the Wiz archive. GINGE is sort of a GP2x emulator. You can play most games through it, including cave story, which actually has been partially ported to the wiz (I don't remember the details, I think it's in the archive too)

I stand corrected, cavestory is not in the archive, but I think there was a thread on the forums here somewhere.

Thanks for the assistance. I tested the following GP2X games, and they work perfectly w/ GINGE.
- Electronia
- Waternet
- Tecnoballz
- Supertux

The last two have native Wiz ports that, for me, run *worse* native than under GINGE. These, however, just hang under launched within GINGE.
- Egoboo
- Garden2X

Still, great improvement! Excellent work!

Mr.TwisT said:
I stand corrected, cavestory is not in the archive, but I think there was a thread on the forums here somewhere.
Yeah, don't remember where exactly, but I got a native Wiz port of Cave Story from somewhere here on the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it is, http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58507-cave-story/page__p__939538__hl__Wiz%20cave%20story__fromsearch__1&#entry939538

It seems to work fine, I guess Simon forgot to upload it to the archive.

vaustein said:
Thanks for the assistance. I tested the following GP2X games, and they work perfectly w/ GINGE.
- Electronia
- Waternet
- Tecnoballz
- Supertux

The last two have native Wiz ports that, for me, run *worse* native than under GINGE. These, however, just hang under launched within GINGE.
- Egoboo
- Garden2X

Still, great improvement! Excellent work!

egoboo gp2x port will never run since it used the second core to simulate opengl, egoboo would need to be ported to opengles to run on any non-gp2x device

Back