Faulty Nub....

jonlad1

Well I just got my Pandora...

I've had a good play around with it and everthing seems to be working fine aprt from the right nub.

I didnt get a stylus with mine so have been using the nubs to navigate round the desktop. Using the right nub as mouse buttons was fine until the right click menu started popping up randomly. I went into the nub menu and reset the right nub. The mouse cursor moves down by itself. Constantly downwards like I'm pulling down on it. Its not stuck, and has full movement.

I have reset it several times, rebooted, reflashed the firmware but it still does it.

Part of me thinks, well it doesnt really matter, its not like I'll be using the right nub like I'll be using the left one.... but its not right and I know I shouldnt settle for it.

I'm absolutely gutted cos I'm in Australia and I dont want to have to send it back already :(

PLEASE someone suggest something else to try! I really dont want to have to ship it back already!

I'd shutdown, take out the battery for half a minute or so(just in case, you never know), put it back in and calibrate the nub while booting. Be sure that the nub is centered correctly.

torpor said:
Are you guys doing the 'magic calibration' dance every time you reboot your Pandora? I've found this really does make a difference:

1. Power down your Pandora, to OFF state.
2. Center the nubs, physically, as best you can.
3. Turn it on.
4. While it is booting through the splash screen, press up, return to center, then down, return to center, left, return to center, right, return to center. Do this for each nub.

After doing this, the nubs *really* are calibrated properly and work superlatively on my Pandora every single time. I've gotten into the habit of doing this every time I reboot my Pandora ..

Last edited by a moderator:
That actually made it worse lol. Tried it a few times though, its started going down and to the right now. Nubs were definitely centered upon boot. The left one is fine, there is obviously something wrong with the right one.

Cant believe I've gotta send it back.

You do realise that the one-nubbers are a limited edition? ;)

There is thread specially for one-nubbers http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54468-200-finished-some-one-nubbers-available/

jonlad1 said:
Well I just got my Pandora...

I've had a good play around with it and everthing seems to be working fine aprt from the right nub.

I didnt get a stylus with mine so have been using the nubs to navigate round the desktop. Using the right nub as mouse buttons was fine until the right click menu started popping up randomly. I went into the nub menu and reset the right nub. The mouse cursor moves down by itself. Constantly downwards like I'm pulling down on it. Its not stuck, and has full movement.

I have reset it several times, rebooted, reflashed the firmware but it still does it.

Part of me thinks, well it doesnt really matter, its not like I'll be using the right nub like I'll be using the left one.... but its not right and I know I shouldnt settle for it.

I'm absolutely gutted cos I'm in Australia and I dont want to have to send it back already :(

PLEASE someone suggest something else to try! I really dont want to have to ship it back already!

Jon - I had a similar problem, but it applied to both nubs. I tried all the configuration stuff but had no success (in fact it often made it move faster!).

But then... (as if by magic! :lol: )... they BOTH started working perfectly again... which makes me suspect that it's not actually a physical issue with the nub hardware?

It couldn't be a touchscreen glitch, could it? Making the cursor move?

Does the nub feel like it's sticking and like it has something stuck inside it, and does it fail to centre when you move it? (I had a similar-sounding problem which required the unit to be replaced...)

The nubs were sort of designed to be in an 'always on' system (which right now obviously the Pandora isn't as we all like to drop the battery on a regular basis).

The best way to calibrate is to do the extreme->let it bounce back in each direction. Maybe even doing it 2-3 times for each direction:

up as far as it will go, let go do it bounces back to centre, do it again, then do that on each direction, then do some circles.

I'm also aware we could probably lower the resolution of the nubs and do some smoothing in software. It's all on the list.

If you really can't get it to work we can replace it.

craigix said:
The nubs were sort of designed to be in an 'always on' system (which right now obviously the Pandora isn't as we all like to drop the battery on a regular basis).

The best way to calibrate is to do the extreme->let it bounce back in each direction. Maybe even doing it 2-3 times for each direction:

up as far as it will go, let go do it bounces back to centre, do it again, then do that on each direction, then do some circles.

I'm also aware we could probably lower the resolution of the nubs and do some smoothing in software. It's all on the list.

Well mike got back to me and asked me to try doing complete circles on the nub to break it in.
This actually got it to work better. It's still not 100% though.
I've also noticed that on the left nub, I can't make it creep/scroll very slowly when pushing down or left. Making Mario "walk" in mario64 If you will. this problem happens no matter how much I break it in or calibrate it. Both nubs travel freely and do not feel stuck at all.
The screen bows a lot on the left side and I never received a stylus but i'm sure that's on its way.
Any thoughts on what I should do?
Cheers guys

jonlad1 said:
craigix said:

Well mike got back to me and asked me to try doing complete circles on the nub to break it in.
This actually got it to work better. It's still not 100% though.
I've also noticed that on the left nub, I can't make it creep/scroll very slowly when pushing down or left. Making Mario "walk" in mario64 If you will. this problem happens no matter how much I break it in or calibrate it. Both nubs travel freely and do not feel stuck at all.
The screen bows a lot on the left side and I never received a stylus but i'm sure that's on its way.
Any thoughts on what I should do?
Cheers guys

Ok, first, the walking Mario thing has nothing to do with your nubs, and everything to do with the N64 emulator. It's settings for the nubs are too sensitive. This should be fixed in the next release of Mupen64plus hopefully.

Second, the moving cursor bit can not be caused by your right nub if that is the nub you are using for mouseclicks. It would have to be a problem with your left nub.

-God Ginrai

the first point, that happens anywhere, not just the n64 emu. down and left will not go slowly. there is no gradual increase in speed.

second, thanks for trying to tell me what the problem is.

jonlad1 said:
the first point, that happens anywhere, not just the n64 emu. down and left will not go slowly. there is no gradual increase in speed.

second, thanks for trying to tell me what the problem is.

Are you making sure to calibrate during bootup? Do what craigix said during the screen that has the loading bar, and see if that helps at all.

-God Ginrai

Ok, first, the walking Mario thing has nothing to do with your nubs, and everything to do with the N64 emulator. It's settings for the nubs are too sensitive. This should be fixed in the next release of Mupen64plus hopefully.
Yeah, though the nubs are actually mapped 1:1 in mupen64plus.... its just that the N64 analog had a relatively massive amount of travel.

The problem isnt with mupen64, it happens on the desktop too. i can make the cursor move very very slowly when pushing up and right, but left and down only registers fast movement. What I said about making mario "walk" in mario64 was just as an example so people knew what i was talking about. i can make mario walk up and right but cannot do the same when pushing down or left. does that make sense?

I have calibrated numerous times upon boot, on the splash screen, reflashed the firmware, installed the hotfix, "done the circles" which mweston suggested (which fixed the original problem) and everything else that everyone has suggested.

the screen also bows a lot on the left side when closed.

i dont know what else to try.

jonlad1 said:
The problem isnt with mupen64, it happens on the desktop too. i can make the cursor move very very slowly when pushing up and right, but left and down only registers fast movement. What I said about making mario "walk" in mario64 was just as an example so people knew what i was talking about. i can make mario walk up and right but cannot do the same when pushing down or left. does that make sense?
Yeah, i was just replying to God Ginrai. He's made a few comments about it being too sensitive and i thought i would explain why. I have the same issues with my prototypes nubs. Initially both worked perfectly but now the left one is totally screwed and the right one doesn't register right movements. I actually posted a topic about it in the hidden Pandora forums awhile back, So I'm not surprised that there's been nub issues.

Back