Fast LCD cable failure?

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
It seems I only just got my Pandora in the mail (on the 14th), but I opened it a few minutes after starting my music, and there was nothing but a black screen. I restarted it, and it gave me what looked like a bar code, but nothing more. Backlight's still on, though.

With the screen being inoperative but the backlight on, would this be a cable failure or just it being misaligned or coming out of its socket? Is there any way I can fix this without another RMA? I really don't want to wait another month and a quarter.

I was just getting used to having a portable device that fit in my pocket, too. :(

Edit: I guess this probably should've gone in the support forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
black and white vertical lines is how mine looks when the cable comes loose from its connector and I have to squeeze the corner back together to make it make contact. It's a sudden poor connection across all data channels, resulting in signals that the LCD can't really interpret, leaving the black and white artifacts. If it were a broken cable, it would simply tint, as the signal degrades from one side or the other.

As far as I can tell it is an entirely different unit than the May- or June-made one I got last year; the new one was sent out on May 3, if that helps.

How do I disassemble the screen once I have the screws out? I don't remember if it's glued or not.

Edit:

Turns out I didn't need to go that far; I put the screws back into the screen to make sure my table didn't absorb them during the night, and it started working again. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The LCD connection is in the base of the unit for future reference, there is nothing serviceable in the top part.

Thanks; I was assuming that there was a socket in the top part, since when I squeezed the corner of the screen casing it showed a (messed-up) image. If it stops working again I'll see if it's crept out in the bottom part.

Well, I fixed it, and it still does the exact same thing. I think the problem is inside the hinge (maybe where the cable twists), since when I put pressure on the hinge, it shows a (garbled) image instead of a black screen.

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA it again after all :(

Well, I fixed it, and it still does the exact same thing. I think the problem is inside the hinge (maybe where the cable twists), since when I put pressure on the hinge, it shows a (garbled) image instead of a black screen.

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA it again after all :(

You can be sure it will get a new LCD Cable and a lot of love from me when I fix it.

You might also be able to watch the repairment live ;)

Back