Release FallingUp

mcobit

Advanced Member
This is a Port of the game FallingUp:

http://erif.org/code/fallingup/

This uses glutes and some hacks of me and Pickle, who again had some ideas to make it work. Thanks!

There might be some issues, but it plays fine. Please report!

fallingup1.png

Get the PND here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=fallingup-fallingup-6713

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate, love different Tetris takes like this one. Will give it ago now. :)

EDIT: Just got back from a good play (with hidden next block to make it harder for myself).

I got to level 15 (161,626) on my first play and even though I was doing well I decided to hold down the DOWN button, because I felt a little dizzy, lol. Tis an awesome game, but at times it twisted and turned and didn't stop till I got a Tetris. Sometimes, it would reverse and I had to throw everything that I knew about Tetris rules out the window!

Also, I'd love some panic techno music, because the current music is very calming, which is why I probably did better than I expected...but then again...I'm a Tetris whore!

Oh yeah, could we make the start button "START" instead of SPACE BAR or ENTER, because it took me 30 seconds to find out how to start the game. Where's the PAUSE button, by the way?

CONTROLS

On title screen:

Start Game = SPACE BAR or ENTER

In-game:

Turn Block = UP

Fast Block Fall = DOWN

Instant Block Fall = SPACE BAR

Anyway, thanks for an awesome port, mcobit~ Can't wait for the final version! B)

Hey, thanks for this fast, detailed comment!

I don't necessarily want to change the music, as I don't want to fork this, but I can have a look at the startbutton, when I get around it. Also I don't think, that the game has a pause function ;)

Nice take on tetris....controls and looks great.

Thanks.

You know, I think ENTER is pretty intuitive... it's kinda what I expect, to be honest, since a lot of Pandora's games use "Enter".

Although assigning "instant fall block" to "A" would be nice. ;)

What about this:

A - Instant fall

X - turn piece

Start - Gamestart/Change options.

?

What about this:

A - Instant fall

X - turn piece

?
I like it the way it is now.

Not that anyone gives a rat's arse since i am not an 'expert'. :huh:

Last edited:
What about this:

A - Instant fall

X - turn piece

?
I like it the way it is now.

Not that anyone gives a rat's arse since i am not an 'expert'. :huh:

For me personally, I think the proposed key setup sounds better, It feels a bit more standard for gamepad controls anyway! (and I seemed to hit the spacebar when I didn't really want to when things got hectic!! :p )

What about this:

A - Instant fall

X - turn piece

?

I vote

B - turn piece

X - instant fall

Reasoning is that B has become the "main" button for what seems like the majority of pandora software, and X is the southmost button and therefore feels like a good falling button. I'd be happy with yours though too.

As a Tetris expert, here are my suggestions for controls...

UP = Instant drop (this is what Nintendo and the rest of the million other companies do)

B = Turn Block (which is A for Nintendo consoles and O for SONY consoles)

Or to save arguments, you could just make A, Y, X & B turn blocks.

If you don't like the "industry standardized" UP being Instant drop, then maybe L shoulder button or R shoulder button or both L & R can be Instant drop.

I WIN!!!

I hope I get some time this evening to change that. Maybe SONY is right, so all the buttons turn the piece and up or L-Shoulder and R_Shoulder are instantdrop.

Ok, I don't like glut! It can't detect ALT or SHIFT directly, so Start and Shoulderbuttons can't be used.

I made the following keysetup now as a compromise:

D-pad up. Turn piece

D-pad left/right: Move left/right

D-pad down: Move faster down

A,B,Y - Turn piece

X - Drop piece

PND is updated in the repo.

If anyone has a suggestion, how I could use these keys directly in glut (This game don't use SDL at all), please tell me.

D-pad up. Turn piece = No use, because 99% of time the mind always thinks to turn pieces with actual action buttons, not the d-pad.

D-pad left/right: Move left/right =

D-pad down: Move faster down =

A,B,Y - Turn piece =

X - Drop piece = Not good, because when things get FRANTIC & CRAZY (which in most cases all the time, because this is not normal Tetris here we're dealing with) accidents can happen.

Why not go with the industry standard for "Drop piece/instant block drop/fall"?

I find the new keys more natural for me then the previous setup(I must not be industry standard!! :p )

Back