"failed to open USB port"... HELP!

Nutzo

Just got my GP32.

I installed PCLink 1.3, and installed the USB drivers for Win98 which is what I use.

I connect my GP32 to USB port, turn it on then put it to PC Link mode and it says "Now waiting..."

Then I start PC-Link and all I get is "can't open USB port"!

Authentication Wizard (gpreg) gives the same error.

No what... Every other USB device I have used worked perfectly...

It's a brand new GP32 FLU. :(((

I installed to my old PC (also Win98), and PCLink worked.

I have tried EVERYTHING to get it going on my current PC and all I get are "failed to open USB port" or "timed out" or "unknow error" when I start PCLink.

So basically I'm totally screwed and don't know why. I can't consistently use my old PC for my GP32 for numerous reasons. I am very, very angry.

On top of it all buy.com sent me the WRONG smc cards. And according to the site I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for them to even read my damn complaint report. I have not been this angry and frustrated in a long time.

I feel like throwing this GP32 across the room and watching it explode in a thousand pieces.

ifeel like throwing this GP32 across the room and watching it explode in a thousand pieces.
that would'nt be a very good idea, you can always feel free to give it to me :D. not sure want your problem is with the usb thing and all, maybe the the motherboard??? highly doubt it though, but i dont know anything about all this tech stuff. when i get my gp32 this same thing will probaly happen to me lol :D

Do you have an SMC card in your GP32 (since you mentioned the wrong ones were shipped)? No idea if its necessary, but it might be. Other than that, I'm sorry, but I don't have any ideas on how to get USB working for ya. One possibility to at least get your GP32 going is to buy an SMC card reader.

right click on "my computer" and choose properties then click the tab called "device manager" look for "universal serial bus" and click the + next to it, now remove the the root hub and host controller (all of them if there are more than 1) then reboot your machine.

Also if your motherboard uses a VIA chipset you might need to update to the latest 4 in 1 drivers as VIA chipsets have trouble with some USB devices, check with your motherboard manufacturer 1st or if you are at a loss you could try:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

This should work

Yahooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=)

The problem was VERY WEIRD but it's fixed. I have a new (and very nice) combo printer/scanner/copier/fax/card reader called the Canon P80. It's really great, but apparently for me to use PCLink for GP32 the printer MUST BE ON!

Once I turned my printer on GPLink worked great, and I've already tried some MP3's, GPengine and VCS. I am now much, much happier with my GP32 FLU!

I had a hunch the printer might be involved because it has a USB driver to read compact flash cards, and sure enough, that was it.

*RELIEVED* :)

As for Buy.com screwing up and sending me 32mb SMC's instead of the 128's, I'm FURIOUS about that but all I can do now is wait for those morons to respond to my claim. In the mean time I found I was able to open one of the cards and use it without hurting the packaging, unfortunately the other one's packaging is sealed like Fort Knox. Bleh... Better than nothing...

Back