Facebook down! Head for the hills!

Asmo

Advanced Member
I'm not a user, so I only saw this from the sudden outbreak of hysteria, mystification and some glee being posted left right and center.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/19/facebook-down-global-outage-website-and-apps

Edit: the above was their page as it was ongoing, the 'aftermath' report is:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/19/facebook-unavailable-longest-outage-four-years

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/facebook-goes-offline-seems-to-be-widespread-outage-19-06-2014/

So, there should be some choice conspiracy theories by this afternoon, and probably some official comment.

I hope Oculus' payment already cleared!

Last edited by a moderator:
"

Facebook has suffered a major outage that has hit both its website and smartphone and tablet apps across the globe.

The outage prevents users accessing the social network leading many to decamp to other services like Google+ and Twitter.

"

Now read it again and keep in mind the outage lasted 20 minutes.

"Facebook has suffered a major outage that has hit both its website and smartphone and tablet apps across the globe.

The outage prevents users accessing the social network leading many to decamp to other services like Google+ and Twitter."

Addiction to virtual socializing and the possibility to live out the now common narcism worldwide is a serious underrated issue of our time...

20 minutes can be a veeeeeeeeerry long time if you are a 13-16 year old girl that absolutely needs to know wether your best girldfriend A thinks that some handsome guy/girl B likes you, and wether your second best girlfriend C assents to that.

Vader-Nooo.jpg

Only 20 Minutes?

As I did read the topic I was hoping for more.

Would love to see millions of people crazy because Facebook is down for a day or so.

Would love to see millions of people crazy because Facebook is down for a day or so.
Maybe the future of terrorism ? Why spend a lot of time/effort/money/people into something that will bring you into the news for maybe a day or two, if you could directly strike fear into the hearts of your enemys ?

As I did read the topic I was hoping for more.
I assumed it was still down and had been down for at least a few hours (or maybe one hour) when I read the topic title...(I obviously hadn't noticed myself, I haven't gotten an account over there)

Face-what?  :rolleyes:

Seriously, there was a time where the Internet didn't even exist and Teens did not die due lack of communication. What's wrong with todays  youth?  

In some ways, the internet was cooler before the www, when it was 95% university students and professors communicating via usenet, ftp, gopher, talk and MUDs.

Facebook is a horrible game.
You level up by gathering points in form of buddys and followers, gain virtual influence with that, pay regular fees by selling your personal information and invest not only your spare time at home but also your spare time on the go via smartphone or tablet making you talk to nobody anymore and blocking eye contact and flirting in public transit etc...

It has nothing to do with social interaction and in fact is a way of reducing it, not only in real life but also real social interaction via online methods (eMail, chat, etc...) for some smalltalk and hipster games.
In the end, nobody there cares if you are in hospital, became father or just killed yourself,
because it's all about money and points.

I was never a part of it and really hope it will die as soon as possible.

Back