F200 Skins

Fear345

Still Fresh
Is there a list of skins that work with the F200 v4 f/w ive only just got mine and don't fancy bricking it already :blink:

omg your joking ? why would they do such a thing as not to allow it to be skinable like the previous ones ?

Because they quickly hacked together a touch screen GUI and didn't care about things like that.

Fear345 said:
omg your joking ? why would they do such a thing as not to allow it to be skinable like the previous ones ?
Why would they...
... build units without a USB networking option like in previous units
... build units which can't charge themselves by USB
... build units which need 2 power adapters for the cradle and device
... take aeons to release the sourcecode
... ship units without having the firmware available for download
... ship units with a power LED thats so bright it burns your retina
... ship units without a battery level indicator LED (hint: because the code won't compile)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fear345 said:
Is there a list of skins that work with the F200 v4 f/w ive only just got mine and don't fancy bricking it already :blink:
you can change the background images though ;) , but no icon changes as yet

simonb said:
Fear345 said:
Why would they...
... ship units without a battery level indicator LED (hint: because the code won't compile)

LOLOLOLOL

I hope they will change some of that. At least if things can be done by updated firmware...

-Standby mode would be awesome...
-option to turn off LED light (if it doesn't, I'm putting a tape over it)
-USB hosting that actually works
-better screen scaling for TV output

Ok, we all know that the GP-200 FW4.0 version is far away from being perfect. But in case you guys like the idea that the community is growing, you have to be aware of the fact that new members have little possibility to get one of these black GP that you are so proud of keeping it. The more unsolved problems occur, the less people want to buy a GP.

Keeping this in mind it makes more sense to me to help solve the problem. I messed up my GP200 by using an alternative skin and I don't think it's funny. As I bought it just one week ago, I think of taking it back to the store and buy me a PSP instead. Does that sound better to you?

Some german guys hacked the 4.0 FW and hopefully come up with a solution soon. A first fix that could help me a lot would be an original FW 4.0 skin restorer. Someone out there how knows how that could become true?

Thanx for help. Keep on joking, but then come back to normal an try to fix things - please.

Best regards

HanDuo

HanDuo said:
Keeping this in mind it makes more sense to me to help solve the problem. I messed up my GP200 by using an alternative skin and I don't think it's funny. As I bought it just one week ago, I think of taking it back to the store and buy me a PSP instead. Does that sound better to you?
How messed up is it? Is the problem just with corrupted graphics, or does it not boot altogether?

PS: most skins say what firmware version they're for, ie. 2.1.x or 3.0, which skin did you use that was not labeled?

HanDuo said:
Ok, we all know that the GP-200 FW4.0 version is far away from being perfect. But in case you guys like the idea that the community is growing, you have to be aware of the fact that new members have little possibility to get one of these black GP that you are so proud of keeping it. The more unsolved problems occur, the less people want to buy a GP.

Some german guys hacked the 4.0 FW and hopefully come up with a solution soon. A first fix that could help me a lot would be an original FW 4.0 skin restorer. Someone out there how knows how that could become true?

Thanx for help. Keep on joking, but then come back to normal an try to fix things - please.

Best regards

HanDuo
sorry about your problem m8, hopefully GPH will post the 4.0 firmware on
there site soon so you can reflash your firmware.

but as alex asked wot is the problem with it?

Alex. said:
How messed up is it? Is the problem just with corrupted graphics, or does it not boot altogether?
Well, I used the OSX Aqua Skin as I have a Mac myself. Was just a silly idea to convince my friend (who wants to port Carrier Command as multiplayer game for NDS and is a mac user since he is eight years old) to buy a GP2X himself and do some Carrier Command porting there.

But now to the problem: Basically the option where one can choose between "SD-Card" or "built in games" was totally scrambled. It was a 50/50 chance to get that one you want to choose from.

I was able to fix that one by replacing the OSX-style skin with the FW3 original skin. Still one problem stays: The file-browser looks very silly. I have a blue line (1px height) on a blue screen. And the line is above the file you choose, not under it (what I think would be more logical as you mark text by underling it - don't you?) . So far I try to avoid the inbuilt screen by using GMenu2X. Anyway, a skin fix back to FW4.0 would be nice though.
Also: I love the idea of opensource. Meaning: As soon as I have time to clean up my harddisk, ubuntu will be a second OS on my PowerBook.
Furthermore: The %§*$!!! GP2X-200 FW 4.0 should be hacked for the better as soon as possible. I want to be able to do what you guys do. (And I want to convince my friend (he is a pro who loves portable devices) to trade his NDS and buy himself a GP2X.)

Alex. said:
PS: most skins say what firmware version they're for, ie. 2.1.x or 3.0, which skin did you use that was not labeled?
It says nothing about FW problems in the manual. There was just a link "to the firmware". As I found out later, not to the FW I need. I was reading some stuff on skins on the net - the FW4.0 problem never came to my knowledge. I read the readme.txt inside the skin zip-file. Nothing about the FW probs.

I guess it was beginners luck!

So far so good... while thinking about FW 4.0 I remember a message from the medway boys meue 37: "Your protection was good... but not good enough." That's what I want to read when I switch on my GP2x next time... (just kidding)

Greetings
HanDuo

simonb said:
Why would they...
GPH is fantastically and helplessly incompetent.

HanDuo: That was indeed beginner's luck... There have always been skin incompatibilities between firmwares, and most people gave up on the default front end (not necessarily because of this specific issue) and like you, use Gmenu2x. If you need an explorer until a flashable FW4 is released, I recommend Enexfi.

@HanDuo

i have that little blue line on my file browser, what i was doing is
changing the backgrounds with the skin changer, i had edited the
script to just transfer those background files but in the end i used
the original script by mistake and have the same as you :(
just lucky it didnt do more damage i suppose..:)

anyways when you use GMenu2X can you use the file browser thats included
in it?? cos i know can with mine i dont know why but it may be the fact that
the backgrounds i put on had an explorer background in it also.

nickspoon said:
simonb said:
Why would they...
GPH is fantastically and helplessly incompetent.

You are too kind sir.

There came a fix for the skin problem from a german guy today. The firmware 4.0 is also available for download now, but nobody has tested it yet. The skin fix for the FW 4.0 has been tested by An56ar from germany - works fine he says!

The Link to the FW 4.0 download comes from sbock, as well as the default skin for FW 4.0.

First entry. Link one is the FW download, link 2 is the download for the skin.

Link to the links (german gp2x board): http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?t=4992

But notice - works with GP2X-200 only!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun! :D

Han Duo

HanDuo said:
There came a fix for the skin problem from a german guy today. The firmware 4.0 is also available for download now, but nobody has tested it yet. The skin fix for the FW 4.0 has been tested by An56ar from germany - works fine he says!

The Link to the FW 4.0 download comes from sbock, as well as the default skin for FW 4.0.

First entry. Link one is the FW download, link 2 is the download for the skin.

Link to the links (german gp2x board): http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?t=4992

I see the executable is just a copy of some directories to overwrite the old one, are you sure it makes the modifications definitely in the GP ?
I don't think so, maybe you can lauch it every time you start the console through the autorun.gpe . :unsure:

My skin was broken and so I pached it with the default fw4.0 skin -works. Everything like when I started the GP2x-200 the first time.

HanDuo said:
My skin was broken and so I pached it with the default fw4.0 skin -works. Everything like when I started the GP2x-200 the first time.
cheers works here also..thanx....:)

Back