F200 Got Bricked!

Eclipse

Website
0xdeadc0de.org
Hello,
I wrote for a gp2x user that's not able to speak english well (ok, gotcha, i'm not so able too), he tried to... downgrade the F-200 to the 2.0 F-100 firmware and it runs.
Then he tried to came back to the 4.0 and the f200 got freezed for about half an hour, then it was bricked.
Now switching it on it only show a black screen and the blue led.
How to unbrick it, if it's possible? :ph34r:

I think he have also a cradle and he can connect it to the pc via serial port too

Eclipse said:
Hello,
I wrote for a gp2x user that's not able to speak english well (ok, gotcha, i'm not so able too), he tried to... downgrade the F-200 to the 2.0 F-100 firmware and it runs.
Then he tried to came back to the 4.0 and the f200 got freezed for about half an hour, then it was bricked.

I think he have also a cradle and he can connect it to the pc via serial port too
It sounds like a fairly normal 'brick' (i.e. U-Boot wiped and the rest of the NAND in an unknown state, most lightly with bad blocks like the 3 > 2 firmware downgrades). We just have the added problem of being an F200. Most (all) 'regular' unbricking guides (esp. my old ones) are not really appropriate for the F200 at the moment.

I am not even going to ask what possessed them to downgrade to a lower firmware on the F200 ;) (esp. as aspects of the hardware are different) but still, that does not fix the problem he has now. For the record all a firmware downgrade on an F200 was ever going to do was bricking the GP2X :(.

I have not yet unbricked an F200 yet but I have a rough idea of how it should work and have a few bits go code to help get it done. I really planned to wait until somebody in the UK bricked there's so they could send it to me to fix but such is life, the 1st brick that comes to my attention is in Italy ;).

There are a number of issues even if the GP2X was unbricked as full firmware dumps for the F200 are not available and I do not have an F200 to make the rips. Do you know anybody else with an F200? If not I am sure I can get the necessary files from somewhere it’s just that there is a small risk of bricking when collecting these files.

Does your friend have access to the jTAG port on the cradle and a suitably wired parallel lead?
Is he running Linux or Windows?
Does he use IRC and is he happy to test my F200 unbricking tools? ;)
Does he have a lot of patience? (Most of this will be trial and error so expect it to not work 1st time and take up a LOT of time to sort out fully.)

I am normally lurking in #GP2XDev on EFNet if he wants to get hold of me and I am happy to try and see what can be done as long as he does not expect a quick fix or miracles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am the friend of Eclipse, and I have the briccked GP2X. :D

I am taking a parallel cable, and I will use that with my old PC, it has Windows 98 installed (but i can put in Debian), so I have not tryed Gp2x recovery by JTAG, but I will try it in shortly time.
My Cradle has got the JTAG.
I have not IRC, but I have Messenger, and I am very happy to try your tools for unbrick the GP2X.
I have not a lot of patience :D. I was joking.

Thank you very much for the help!! I am desperate.

DJWillis said:
Eclipse said:
Hello,

It sounds like a fairly normal 'brick' (i.e. U-Boot wiped and the rest of the NAND in an unknown state, most lightly with bad blocks like the 3 > 2 firmware downgrades). We just have the added problem of being an F200. Most (all) 'regular' unbricking guides (esp. my old ones) are not really appropriate for the F200 at the moment.

I am not even going to ask what possessed them to downgrade to a lower firmware on the F200 ;) (esp. as aspects of the hardware are different) but still, that does not fix the problem he has now. For the record all a firmware downgrade on an F200 was ever going to do was bricking the GP2X :(.

I have not yet unbricked an F200 yet but I have a rough idea of how it should work and have a few bits go code to help get it done. I really planned to wait until somebody in the UK bricked there's so they could send it to me to fix but such is life, the 1st brick that comes to my attention is in Italy ;).

There are a number of issues even if the GP2X was unbricked as full firmware dumps for the F200 are not available and I do not have an F200 to make the rips. Do you know anybody else with an F200? If not I am sure I can get the necessary files from somewhere it’s just that there is a small risk of bricking when collecting these files.

Does your friend have access to the jTAG port on the cradle and a suitably wired parallel lead?
Is he running Linux or Windows?
Does he use IRC and is he happy to test my F200 unbricking tools? ;)
Does he have a lot of patience? (Most of this will be trial and error so expect it to not work 1st time and take up a LOT of time to sort out fully.)

I am normally lurking in #GP2XDev on EFNet if he wants to get hold of me and I am happy to try and see what can be done as long as he does not expect a quick fix or miracles.

I thought the 4.0.0 firmware is complete released.

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2423

What files exactly are missing?

Regards,
Stephan

The firmware updating I was putting in was given by a lot of files, divided in 6 directories: bin, etc, root, dev, home and usr. The root directory name's f200-rip. Now in the file repisitory there is a different version, its name's gp2x-f200_4(1).0.0_071220 .

Now I have all the cables for connect the PC at the cradle.

sbock said:
I thought the 4.0.0 firmware is complete released.

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2423

What files exactly are missing?

Regards,
Stephan

Stephen,

Thanks for that, it does indeed look like a full FW4 YAFFS dump with the vairous other bits and bobs for an F200.

Thanks for the pointers. One way to find out ;).

Since I just had an F200 to unbrick, here's some information about unbricking with GP2xRecovery.
It actually DOES work - but a bit different than it works with the F100.

You have to put ALL FW-Files from the FW4.0.0 Archive onto the SD-Card.
If you only put the gp2xboot.img onto the card, it won't work!

Then switch on the gp2x, immediately start gp2xrecovery.
If you can watch the progress via HyperTerm, just wait until it doesn't do anything else and waits at the #gp2x prompt.

If you can't follow the progress, wait about 2 minutes, then switch it off.

The SCREEN STAYS BLACK DURING THE WHOLE TIME UNTIL NOW!

Now, DON'T remove the SD Card and SWITCH on the gp2x.
The boot screen should come up, booting should start. AND the gp2x should continue the firmware flashing. Wait until it's finished (can take a few minutes).

Did that work?

EvilDragon said:
Since I just had an F200 to unbrick, here's some information about unbricking with GP2xRecovery.
I have the same problem (F200 bricked), can I use Linux to do the recovery (or the program GP2xRecovery is only for Windows) ? with Wine ? VmWare ?

Which type of parallel cable do we need ? a 25 pin to pin straight cable ?

I already have a USB to serial cable working with 'minicom' and it's working fine with one GP2X but I get nothing on the boot-up with another one.

Thanks

There are few people on here have bricked gp2x f-200.
doesn't the same idea work from gp2x f-100 meaning updating with new fw, try that if that works.

Here is my advice the new gp2x f-200 is a touch screen console only use firmware 4.0 and latest updates which will be released soon using 2.0.0 and 2.1.1 fw will mess up the operating system because them fw don't support touch screen feature.

Oh noo; the EvilDragon' s method doesn't go for me :(:(:(.

The unical solution is try to use GDB and update the .elf file into the gp2x.

I need help for this; I have tryed to use OCD Commander on Windows 98; and it takes me; after the CONN command: OCDemon Error -- internal error 43.

GDB; after the commands exec-file u-boot.elf and target remote localhost:3333 responses to me: localhost:3333: (undocumented errno 10061).

HELP!!!

Hi,

I try to fix my F200 and I got tons of errors from 'openocd' when loading the 'u-boot.elf'

Error: arm_jtag.c:38 arm_jtag_set_instr_error_handler(): setting the new JTAG instruction failed, debugging is likely to be broken
Error: arm_jtag.c:38 arm_jtag_set_instr_error_handler(): setting the new JTAG instruction failed, debugging is likely to be broken

After the previous step, at the GDB prompt when I try to load 'u-boot' in memory, the 'openocd' program stop with this error:
Error: armv4_5.c:186 armv4_5_mode_to_number(): invalid mode value encountered
Error: arm7_9_common.c:1025 arm7_9_debug_entry(): cpsr contains invalid mode value - communication failure
Error: target.c:1143 handle_target(): couldn't poll target, exiting

Also, I did a change in the file gp2x.cfg (jtag_speed 0 => 5) to be able to connect the PC with the F200.

Can somebody can help me ? I try different 'jtag_speed' without any success :-(

Maybe it's a new problem with the F200 ?

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 with OpenOcd (version 2007-07-31 19:00 CEST)

I have used OpenOCD with GDB too; and I used the guide at the letter.

But GDB goes to pausing...

Here is the log:

OpenOCD:

bash-3.1$ su

Password:
bash-3.1# lsmod | grep ppdev

ppdev 11140 0

parport 34760 2
ppdev,parport_pc

bash-3.1# ls -l /dev/parport0

c---rw-rw- 1 root lp 99, 0 2008-03-06 13:16 /dev/parport0

bash-3.1# chmod 666 /dev/parport0

bash-3.1# ls -l /dev/parport0

crw-rw-rw- 1 root lp 99, 0 2008-03-06 13:16 /dev/parport0

bash-3.1# openocd -f gp2x.cfg

Info: openocd.c:92 main(): Open On-Chip Debugger (2007-07-31 19:00 CEST)

From GDB:

bash-3.1$ dir

Desktop gdb-6.7.1.tar.bz2 kde-i18n-it-3.5.7-noarch-1.tgz u-boot.elf
gdb-6.7.1 gp2x.cfg source\ openocd

bash-3.1$ cd gdb-6.7.1
bash-3.1$ cd gdb-6.7.1/
bash-3.1$ cd build/

bash-3.1$ cd bin/

bash-3.1$ arm-elf-gdb

GNU gdb 6.7.1

Copyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.

There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.

This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-elf".

(gdb) exec-file u-boot.elf

(gdb) target remote localhost:3333

Remote debugging using localhost:3333

Ignoring packet error, continuing...

warning: unrecognized item "timeout" in "qSupported" response

(remains pending infinitely)

Back