Life Span Of A Gp2X F100 And F200

Strange question...

In physical terms or in developement terms?

It is possible that the machine will last for the next 20 or thirty years physically - look at the likes of the ZX Spectrum, C64 and CPC, many are still going strong now despite being built over 25 years ago. Development also continues for these machines - you can still buy commercial software for them.

In real terms, the GP2X is likely to "die" a lot sooner however, as there are fewer owners and developers for it and those that are devving now have a much larger array of alternative platforms to choose from - many are waiting for the Pandora. New releases have definitely been drying up.

The GP2X isn't particularly well made and it's well known that bits have broken off from inside the machine, so unless you meet/know someone that owns a time-machine, we can only guess. I suspect that the GP2X will be completely dead within the space of 5 years. Who knows.

iprice said:
Strange question...

In physical terms or in developement terms?

It is possible that the machine will last for the next 20 or thirty years physically - look at the likes of the ZX Spectrum, C64 and CPC, many are still going strong now despite being built over 25 years ago. Development also continues for these machines - you can still buy commercial software for them.

In real terms, the GP2X is likely to "die" a lot sooner however, as there are fewer owners and developers for it and those that are devving now have a much larger array of alternative platforms to choose from - many are waiting for the Pandora. New releases have definitely been drying up.

The GP2X isn't particularly well made and it's well known that bits have broken off from inside the machine, so unless you meet/know someone that owns a time-machine, we can only guess. I suspect that the GP2X will be completely dead within the space of 5 years. Who knows.

I herd that a lot of them fail after 2 to 3 years I just want to know if this is correct

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gp2X F100 Mk1 is still working. I haven't used it for a year and managed to use it recently to play some old games and scoring with Little Piggy Tracker. Everything is fine for the moment :)

It really depends on how well you take care of it. There are no moving parts, so it should last for years and years as long as you don't bang it around. I've had my GP2X for several years and it looks and runs pretty much like new.

I bought my GP32 for Xmas 03 and it still works fine with the exception of 1 game that will not run no matter what I do, it just resets the machine. The anti-glare coating wore off very quickly, but the buttons and joystick still work fine and the stick still clicks.

I bought my gp2x around June 07. The only real problem I have had with it is the battery contacts used to be too tight and now they are too lose. Most likely because of the battery contact being too lose, the batteries tend to heat up when watching movies. The right shoulder button seems to be a little lose but it still works fine. I did drop it twice, once on a concrete floor and that is probably when that happened.

Overall, I think the gp32 was better made than the gp2x, especially since the things you can touch like the joypad and battery comp are so poorly made/designed, but since most of the machine is non-moving parts, I suspect it will last many years.

Chris

I got my GP2X-F200 in December 2007 and it still works perfectly. I am a very careful person so no knocks or drops to it yet.
cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
well just don't get your GP2X exposed to stuff like moisture, static and water, snow and even very humid temperatures (these things affect electronic life) =_= which is why the Korean factory have a moisture dehumidifier absorbant pack(that "do not eat" thingy you find in some packaged foods) included with every release of GP2X.

I've had an F100 since October 2006 and an F200 since I think early 2008.

The F100 has never had a problem. The F200 recently stopped working with batteries but that was only after I was soldering some new leads inside for an external battery pack. After resoldering them again it now works great.

Once in a while I'll notice an SD card starts acting up. I clean it with a cotton swab and some contact cleaner and insert it into the GP2X slot a few additional times while the leads are soaked, then blow it out with canned air.. works great after that.

A small part inside the unit actually came loose for me about half a year after purchase (a F100, bought march 06), I re soldered the component, and the unit now works.
Sometime last year the stick gave up on me tough.

Back