F-zero dilemna

demonstar3

Still Fresh
Recently ive been playing alot of fzero for the snes and started to do the queens league. Took some time to pass the courses but then.... white wonderland 2 appears. Mind you, I've been playing as the pink car so it has some difficulties accelerating but has good traction. The hard part is that very big jump you have to do. Any tips on jumping successfully with the pink car?

Unfortunately not, because I prefer to play with Captain Falcon (blue) than Samurai Goroh (pink). I can't remember exactly, but I think holding down helps (or was it up? I can't really remember).

F-Zero on the N64 works pretty well too - you might want to check it out (though my favourite is GX, which isn't on the Pandora).

Holding down (or up? Forgot) at a jump boosts you higher. You can use your boost around this tricky jump as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The key to mastery of the SNES-era Fire Stingray ("the pink one") is the timing of the S-jet (Super Jet). You don't want to use that until you're absolutely sure you won't have to slow down for a while.... unless you really need it (exempli gratia, for your troublesome jump).

Piloting an F-Zero machine is not like driving a car. You have three digital dimensions of control, not one analogue one. Pull back on the stick [down on d-pad] as you hit the jump plate to gain height. Holding the stick back will keep you in the air longer, and keeping it held as you land will keep you from hitting the track (F-Zero machines, as you probably know, are designed to hover magnetically about two feet from the track) and help you maintain your speed.

The Fire Stingray is a rather heavy and bulky machine (weighing in at nearly 2,000 kilograms), and it takes even the twin RS5025 engines a little while to really get it going. The Stingray handles well around corners, so don't bother using the brake, just be sure to shift your weight in the direction of your turn and, if it's really sharp, punch the throttle a few times to fight the momentum.

^ The single player is definitely very hard. I think I only finished the very last stage on easy. I never got the chance to play AX, simply because there are no arcades near where I live.

Even if there were, AX is very rare; I live in New York, and the closest machine to me is in Georgia, about a thousand miles away! However, all of the content of AX can be unlocked in GX without AX save data. Better get castrated first, though; the beating you'll take from the requirements to unlock the AX stuff is much more painful than simply removing the "object" to beat. No cheats, either.

Wonder how much AX is fetching for on eBay and the like now?

^ The single player is definitely very hard. I think I only finished the very last stage on easy. I never got the chance to play AX, simply because there are no arcades near where I live.
Same with me now, because it's been many years since I last spotted it at my local arcades.

Back