External Hard Disc Enclosure

stealingaliving

Still Fresh
Hi, I currently own an iRiver H320 which has just failed on me.
I am therefore looking to replace it.
I use the unit primarily as a music player in the car (mainly WMA, but mp3 also). I also play videos on it when on holiday etc.

Anyway, the unit has failed, but the hard disc is ok.

To replace the unit, I was looking at the GP2X, however, with only SD support, I feel it would not be a direct replacement.

What I would like is a hard disc add-on. I know you can plug in an external USB hard drive, however, this means I would be carring two devices, attached by a lead. What I would like (and I feel many other would also) is an add on that clips onto the back of the device, holding the device and the hard disc together, effectively giving me one single unit.

I would like the 'external hard disc enclosure' to come just as that, so I may put my own hard disc in it, with my music and video files etc.

I understand that the hard disc enclosure would have to have it's own power supply (batteries).

I have found the following unit, which is exactly as I would want, however, there is no way to attach the body to the GP2X (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=370169).

I would also use the unit to backup my camera images, as this unit is aimed at.

I really think that the GP2X is a great unit, and even if you take away the gaming experience, which I do not believe I'd use very much, I would still have a multimedia player at a more than favourable price. I think it looks like a great product.

Thank you for your time.

nickspoon posted on Aug 17 2006 at 01:50 PM said:
This + sticky tape :)

Thanks for the replies...

The enclosure I added in the link is only £20, so I'd prefer a similar priced item!

Thanks though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw snaps, is he really selling those? I'm getting one for sure. That's sweet.

To the OP: I think the main reason you'd want to get that one is that it comes with a cable that will plug straight into your gp2x, and it's battery powered.

LordFu posted on Aug 18 2006 at 12:20 AM said:
To the OP: I think the main reason you'd want to get that one is that it comes with a cable that will plug straight into your gp2x, and it's battery powered.
Exactly why I got one <_<

stealingaliving posted on Aug 17 2006 at 02:21 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Aug 17 2006 at 01:50 PM said:
This + sticky tape :)

Thanks for the replies...

The enclosure I added in the link is only £20, so I'd prefer a similar priced item!

Thanks though.
Considering you'd have to buy a USB cable as well, it almost levels out.

Plus, this one has a Li-Ion battery and built-in card readers, so you could just take the SD out of your camera and put it in the slot.

Back