Evercade - buy your retro games on carts for this thing

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
Because downloads are just too convenient.

http://evercade.co.uk/

It's coming...
[doublepost=1555122648,1555121802][/doublepost]Yeah, I should be a little more forthcoming. This claims to be a handheld that will play officially licensed retro games on carts made for it.

They say they already have at least three publishing partners and will be releasing this year. What I wanna know is if they already have manufacturing sorted out. ED knows the road to manufacturing ain't no joke.

Last edited:
Fuck downloads! But that thing will probably fail.

Lets just print cardboxes and put SD cards with "games for pyra®" in it.
If reasonally priced i would go buy this...

FAQ says it will be released in 2019. Is this already in development for years or they are planning to start and finish within a year.

"USB re-chargeable battery – with 4-5 hours of solid game play on the battery alone."
That's a weak point.

Anyway I guess we have to wait if this is a real product.

So there is no information on their website of who is behind the project. Looking around I cannot see any info on who they are.

Whois says they registered evercade.co.uk on April fools day ie April 1st. -> https://dig.whois.com.au/dwhois/evercade.co.uk

Their Facebook page also doesn't say who is behind the project. So I asked them who they were on Facebook and got this reply:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Well that resolves everything, nothing to worry about here, they gave me the thumbs up

Its an aprils fool!
I am not getting the joke here... but FOOLS!

Yeah, maybe I jumped the gun a bit here. Shiny new handhelds are my thing though.

Props to vcoleiro1 for doing actual investigation. Even all the gaming news sites covering this thing didn't bother with that.

But where do I put the cartri... Oh. It has a cart slot. Well, let's see if it happens and doesn't suck.

Well, technically speaking they don't need to be registered yet, since they aren't taking money, and even then there are amounts you need to be taking before that becomes an issue. The main benefit is becoming VAT registered and being able to buy stocks at trade prices. I guess they will need to have registered a data protection officer to handle all of those email addresses though, and I'm not sure how that works if you're not a company.

I don't think Craig's firm was ever registered at companies house, for reference, but then again that might not be the best reference to use here.

But you can copyright anything you've written yourself. In fact, in some senses it all happens automatically.

(c) Levi on the pyra-handheld boards 2019

True, just thought it was worth checking to see if it was listed under anyone's name

Why can't I shake the feeling that, if they had anything to say that was half so exciting as the mere anticipation of an announcement, they would just have said it?

My worry is more that I won't be old enough to appreciate the games for this thing. I doubt they'll be getting any Nintendo system titles, so my only hope is for Genesis and other Sega games. Watch it all be C64, ZX Spectrum, and Amiga stuff. Maybe some TurboGrafx-16 if we're really lucky?

Apparently, a site called Funstock Retro put a mention of this thing in an email to customers. Not sure why they would do that unless they at least know something we don't.

Makes me wonder, why isn't ED being proactive in finding out what this thing is? He could be selling this in the shop one day. Or does he know something we don't too?

Back