Error when running Java

T.Willey

Still Fresh
I have followed WizardStan's instruction on how to install Java, and I think it went correctly.  I'm in a Java class, and thought it would be great to be able to run the simple programs on my Panda, but when I tried to run a simple 'hello world' type command I get this error message (which works on my desktop comp):

una:/media/Pandora02$ java Welcome1
Found java.pnd at /media/Pandora02/pandora/menu/java.pnd
Attempting to execute jvm at /mnt/utmp/java/jdk/bin/java
Args are: Welcome1
/mnt/utmp/java/sunjava.sh: line 12: /mnt/utmp/java/jdk/bin/java: No such file or directory
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device rmdir:
failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/java': Device or resource busy
I have two sd cards inserted with different file system types, but ran this one of the one that is ext.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Do any of the other PNDs that require Java work fine?

Nope.  I just grabbed JOthello with PNDManager, and then downloaded JCloisterZone.  Neither worked.

Okay, looks like something got corrupted in your java install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check /media/Pandora02/pandora/appdata/java/jdk/

If that directory doesn't exist, or doesn't contain a /bin/ directory, or that bin directory doesn't contain a java executable, then something went wrong with the install. You can try to reinstall the official Oracle JDK again, or just to get it working simply run the install again and select the openJDK this time.

The Oracle Java is faster, better on RAM, but you need to make sure you've got the right files in the right place. The OpenJDK should just work without issue.

edit: :ph34r:

Check /media/Pandora02/pandora/appdata/java/jdk/

If that directory doesn't exist, or doesn't contain a /bin/ directory, or that bin directory doesn't contain a java executable, then something went wrong with the install.
I have up to the /jdk directory, but only have a /jre directory within.  Should I erase the /appdata/java directory before I reinstalll the Oracle JDK?

Using jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz file.

I had an older folder that the java.pnd renamed to 'jdk1.7.0_10' which had the bin directory, plus others.  I copied those over to the jdk directory, and it seems to be working now.  Thanks for the help WizardStan and TrashyMG.

I still got this message, below, after my program ran though.  Should I be worried, even though the directory seems to have been removed?

Code:
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/java': Device or resource busy

That's an issue with the pnd system itself. As long as everything runs you can ignore that last error.

Glad you got it working.

Out of interest, what is the best method to upgrade if I wanted to? (not that a subsequent version has been released yet, 7u10 is still the most recent for this platform) Could I install the new one over the top, or should I run the uninstaller first?

- Neelix

You could just decompress the most recent into the appdata directory and rename it from "jdk7u10whatever" to simply "jdk". Alternatively just rerun the install with the latest .tar.gz file and it'll automatically install it, renaming the old jdk in case you want to quickly restore, or just delete the extra directory.

Thanks for all the help WizardStan, and I can't wait til I can code something cool in Java and have it run on my Panda.

Back