Energizer Usb Charger - Review

simonb

Thought others here may appreciate some info about this rather magical device...

product.png

This is a USB charger, and seems to be quite quick at recharging high capacity AA & AAA batteries. It takes it about 3.5 hours to charge my 2700 mAh batteries. The coolest thing is that it comes with a "utility" which, under OSX appears as a "widget" and under XP as an "application window" which shows you how much time is remaining to charge the batteries. As it's able to do this, it's obviously an intelligent charger.

Seem to be going for about 15 quid, and this includes 2x AAA rechargeables. Of course, if you're using the cradle and it's powered via your GP2x/AC adapter, you can recharge your batteries while you're somewhere with a power supply...

The device is pretty small and light, the cable wraps away very nicely and it's pretty useful for use as a battery holder to stop you having to find them in your bag, etc..

The Energizer nimh batteries themselves have proved to be fairly shitty, but that is one badass sounding charger! I've been using the Sanyo Eneloop usb charger myself, but the little windows utility sounds cool. I wonder if it would work under gnu/linux via wine?

My unit arrived this morning so here's my impressions...

It looks and feels lovely, just the right size to carry around.

Charger time is great as far as I'm concerned, although it must be noted that my previous charger took 24 hours to fully charge my AA batteries!

The software that shows the amount of time remaining for charges isn't great - for example, I popped in a set of almost charged AAs and it's showing that there's five minutes remaining...but it's been stuck on that for 10 minutes now. :blink:

Still, this is a brilliant purchase for me. I can charge my batteries at work now!

Duddyroar said:
The software that shows the amount of time remaining for charges isn't great - for example, I popped in a set of almost charged AAs and it's showing that there's five minutes remaining...but it's been stuck on that for 10 minutes now. :blink:
Yeah, I get the same on windows and OSX... I'm using the time not as a definitive, but more like "download speed" info... I'm guessing this is due to it trickle charging the remaining capacity...

"A typical intelligent charger fast-charges a battery up to about 85% of its maximum capacity in less than an hour, then switches to trickle charging, which takes several hours to top off the battery to its full capacity." (from wikipedifilia)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that sounds about right. It was on "00:05" for ages then it suddenly said "charging complete".

Anyway, I'm still pleased as punch with this, it's perfect for my needs. I can now charge my batteries both at home and at work and the charge time is faster than my previous charger, so I'm happy. And like you said, it makes a perfect case for storing batteries in and can be easily popped into your workbag to carry around with you.

For just over £10, this is a steal.

I am running this on leopard but don't seem to see on the widget any time information. Is there a trick to getting this showing. I wonder if leopard breaks the widget.

Craw said:
I am running this on leopard but don't seem to see on the widget any time information. Is there a trick to getting this showing. I wonder if leopard breaks the widget.
You installed the widget, can see it, but theres no time indicator? Odd... I'm running 10.4.11 fyi.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a sweet little device if ever I saw one! My current charger is an Advan-tec fast charger, it's not great and the company seems to have disappeared. Nice. See below.

Advantec%2002.jpg

I was looking at the Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyser which is a beast but sports the price tag to match. I don't want my batteries to get wreaked by my charger (like the Advan-Tec), but don't really want to plump £50 for a charger! Maybe something like this?

I like the look of this charger, but do the batteries get hot when charging? Like burny bruny hot? Major problem with my current charger you see. :S

If they were too hot to handle, that would be slightly worrying. In fact I'd be chucking the charger out at that point, or installing a blast shield.

Totally man, been trying to use it as little as possible! However it's days are numbered, after a final bout of charger comparisons I've ordered this one:

MAHA MH-C401FS Cool Charger

Few other folk on the forum speak well of it and it gets good play back time on the battery wiki. Might pick up one of the Energizer POD chargers too depending. See how it goes anyway.

so if i get a female usb to male usb-mini, can i charge the batteries from the gp2x?

i put up with the "normal" energizer fast charger that comes in a pack with the batteries, but after a couple of years i recently shelled out for a maha/powerex WizardOne. i wish i'd got the powerex sooner...i love being able to control the charging rate and having the capacity shown after a charge. makes little squeaky noises, but i guess that's common with battery chargers that aren't the 15-minute type.

nice review & heads up, though. that does look like a cool device, and super small :D

Wow, nice find Gruntfuggly :)

I've been looking for a new charger, and this one looks like it fits the bill. ~£40 isn't all that bad when you consider the features and the fact that it comes with 4 batteries and a carry case.

Back