Emulators for Windows 8.1 tablets whats best?

CAZMIESTER

I have just bought a tesco connect7 windows 8.1 tablet for £49 on tesco direct can anyone tell me what version of windows is on it ie 32 bit or 64 bit it has an intel atom Z3735G  processor and where i can get a mame build for it and any other compatible emulators cheers and Merry Christmas 

Caz :)   :rolleyes:   ;)   :D  

so most 8 inch or smaller Intel atom win 8.1 tablets are 64 bit processors with a 32 bit install of windows

I can verify this because i just bought a hp stream 7 which has the same processor. i am not sure where you can finda build of mame, but try to search on Google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been trying for ages no joy at all thought there maybe an xp mode like windows 7 anyone any other suggestions?

I've recently bought a Miix 2 (baytraill z3740). It works fine. Win 8.1 32bits. I'm looking into installing linux (now UEFI 32bits is supported for using 64bits linux). So far I've tested PCSXr, nestopia, Kega Fusion, Snes 9X, FBA, Project64 and u64emu. All working flawlessly (with real controller). Haven't tested MAME.

Also what controller works best with windows 8.1

Note that there is some screen overlay virtual controllers you can install .. ie: that you can set up (design your own) or download some pre-made control layouts; then it shows a transparent window over a running app, that catches when you hit your virtualized controls.. thus letting you play controller-only games on a tablet. Clunky, but it can work.

(Mind you, I've had little real success with running 'real' heavy PC games on little tablets, and just picked up a teeny laptop to do it; having a real keyboard and touchpad is pretty slick.. I found using a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad-combo-thing and juggling the tablet just annoying. Also, screen too small for a lot of things.)

Windows 8.1 for stuff like Hearthstone works great; Civ V and Civ IV and such can work pretty well.

As to emus .. somethign like MAME + virtual screen controls works okay .. but better to use a bluetoth controller imho.

jeff

(I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro, got on sale for like $150CDN .. great device really.)

Yeah know what you mean m8 but i reckon the atom soc will be fine for me im retro so all that GTA and FIFA pish is not for me only emus and small homebrew games just need a decent bluetooth controller if anyone has any suggestions

Atoms work great for retro; I run one of my arcade cabs as a emu-cab (MAME etc) and it runs fine for most games I care about on an old Atom. I think even Killer Instinct with 3D works fine from Atom (with a video card doing the 3d anyway.)

jeff

You can also use bluetooth controller iPega 9023 for 30$ 

My monster machine - Surface Pro 2 + iPega 9023  :)

6d1485804011f0fa.jpg

Ok Vrilski plumped for the ipega 9023 was not convinced due to forums saying there was latency issues with the analogs but i dont see a better solution for tablets anywhere yet most games i play are digital anyway (mame etc) hopefully windows 8.1 will support all 32 bit builds of emulators its about time microsoft dealt with compatibility across the board anyway how easy is it to pare with the tablet is there a bit of configuration needed or is it instataneous

Well finally got the tablet 1st impressions, display 8/10 good contrast vibrant colours, sound 5/10 speaker does its job but there is residual sound hum from hardware when headphones are plugged in, windows 8.1 7/10 nightmare to use if your used to xp or 7 needs start menu and icons are hard to use due to resolution, also tv out options are rubbish only full hd or 1200 by 768 needs more choice considering my tv is 1024 by 1080i, ease of use 7/10 you really need a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to use windows 8.1 and alot of features your used to in xp like drag and drop and other features you take for granted in xp have been removed, this build seams dumbed down compared to my desktop windows 8, installing progs 9/10 installed itunes,maxthon browser vlc player photoshop office 365 and they all ran like a charm, tablet also takes some time to flip screen if turned from portrait to landscape but once your used to these little hiccups for £59 i'd dare anyone to show me a better value tablet on the market

6d1485804011f0fa.jpg
I'm thinking about getting one of those.

How does it work with other stuff than emulators?

Is there a proper mapping software for Android?

Windows 8.x has a dpi scaling option buried in the impenetrabe menus (look on the desktop-side control panel.. or better, right-click on the desktop background and delve in there.) You should be able to set a UI %age scaling and options like that, to keep icons and text and window UI elements scaled up, even on super high res or highly dense displays. (I picked up a laptop with an insane 3kx2k resolution, but have just set it to 1600x900 or less with scaling, so that things run fast :eek: . screw all that super high res crap.)

jeff

6d1485804011f0fa.jpg
I'm thinking about getting one of those.

How does it work with other stuff than emulators?

Is there a proper mapping software for Android?
Ipega 9023 is detected by Windows as a gamepad.

A lot of other games work very well or you remap the gamepad in the game settings.

Games that do not see Ipega - run emulator gamepad - Joytokey or x360ce.

I'm sorry but I do not have at the moment android device and I can not check.

There are apps for Android keymap but do not remember the name.

Look on youtube .Tam is a lot of movies with ipega + android.

@ Cazmiester - my ipega is the third version.

I think that I have no analogues delays.

Finally got that ipega controller set up need to find what the best mame version is for this as newer builds have to big a strain taito f3 and sh2 based arent even fullspeed tried following games Rtype 100% radiant silvergun 56% in the hunt 89/100% gunlock 69% viper phase 1 59% mushihimesama deathsmiles 47% pretty disapointed with overall performance.

Back