Emulators For Psp

ste_167

Website
Visit site
Is there a similar archive website for PSPs as there is for the GP2X? PSP emulators seem a little behind the GP2X at the moment on many platforms, but I wouldn't mind checking that I have the correct and latest versions.

I had expected Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES) to be pretty much full-speed, but it's considerably slower than the GP2X version. In fact, the GP2X looks to be better for many platforms. NeoGeo games can be extremely jerky at times.

To help you out on what to choose, I would recommend:

SNES9X TYL (SNES)
DGEN (Genesis)
NesterJ (NES)
RIN (GB/GBC)
gpSP (GBA)

Thanks for your help, everyone.

It has to be said, the GP2X is still the best current emulation handheld :) The screen is just tooo wrong on the PSP! Wrong shape, wrong refresh, bad 'black' level etc!

And, I was expecting more from the PSP scene, given the popularity of the system.

There only appears to one area that the GP2X doesn't match or (more often) thrash the PSP and that's with N64 emulation. However, I can't view the N64 emulator as anything other than a clever tech demo due to it having no sound and limited compatibility.

A plus point though: The PSP thumbstick is actually pretty good, despite my former bad memories of it from my previous unit. Sensible Soccer on the SNES emu plays very well with it.

It has to be said, the GP2X is still the best current emulation handheld :) The screen is just tooo wrong on the PSP! Wrong shape, wrong refresh, bad 'black' level etc!

A plus point though: The PSP thumbstick is actually pretty good, despite my former bad memories of it from my previous unit. Sensible Soccer on the SNES emu plays very well with it.
I think it's safe to say that GBA emulation is better on the PSP at the moment, although that may change in the nearish future.

I'm very new to the PSP (mine arrived as a result of a swap last week), so haven't tried everything out yet, of course.

SNES 9X YTL - very good indeed. Was surprised that the frame rate wasn't better in some games like DKC, however. I haven't played with all the different settings yet, however... maybe there's a magic bullet.

gpsp - the best (released) GBA emulator I've used on a handheld.

pspuae - quite disappointing. Looks pretty, could perform better.

commercial software - some high quality releases.

General: I too like the PSP thumbstick for football games - Kick Off 3 on the SNES rocks. The screen's pretty good, and I haven't noticed much in the way of ghosting that others have mentioned. Suspend is very nice. The volume control is as it should be. The build quality is high. The extra CPU horsepower is handy.

The PSP has quite a lot of untapped potential IMHO. It's easy enough to code for, so hopefully it'll improve. I've got a development environment up and running well, and have had good success in targeting it for ports.

Last edited by a moderator:
the best (released) GBA emulator I've used on a handheld.
A teaser of a comment!

For an example of ghosting, try playing Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on SNES 9X YTL and see how the background graphics darken when moving due to the blurring.

I had a 1.0 PSP at one point which had the fabled Sharp screen, and I can't remember it having such a slow refresh rate - however I may be more of a perfectionist these days..

What are you intending to port to the PSP? *trys to keep a calm face!*
Ahhh!!
I've ported (but not released) uae4all to the PSP, using FAME/C, and it runs faster than pspuae 0.60.

Last edited by a moderator:
*comes out from behind a bush*

The PSPers won't know what's hit them! To be entirely honest, I was going to put my PSP up for sale on Ebay before you said you were working on it. I'd have missed Archer Maclean's Mercury, mind.

Back