Emulation Overclocking Sound

foleyjo

Hi all

I'm having a problem finding the right settings on emulators.
When I overclock I can get a good framerate but the sound always seems to go the wrong pitch.
This is happening in Picodrive and GPSP.
Is there anyway to stop this?

foleyjo, at 1.6.0 i haven't problems with overclocking in picodrive, when i need to play sega 32x games

What about sega cd games?
For example I can get Sewer Shark to play at a good speed but all the sounds and voices are really high pitched.

Should I (and how do I) downgrade back to 1.6.0

You played a game where a fat guy is always eating while your flying through sewers oO?

He isn't always eating. If you fly long enough you see him doing a conga line on the beach. Now that's what I call a good reward for clearing the sewers

Think I've fixed it.
Haven't tried with a cd game yet but with Sonic I overclocked and the sound went high pitched.
Then I changed the sound output option to a lower mhz.
Then I put it back to the 44000mhz or whatever it is and the sound was working fine again.

foleyjo said:
Think I've fixed it.
Haven't tried with a cd game yet but with Sonic I overclocked and the sound went high pitched.
Then I changed the sound output option to a lower mhz.
Then I put it back to the 44000mhz or whatever it is and the sound was working fine again.

IIRC that has something todo with hardware timers ... the caanoo doesn't use a separate overclocking independent timer for the audio processing unit ... can't find the forum link right now, but simon from GPH (or ex-GPH) has stated somthing like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I've found that with many GBA games (Castlevania, Kirby series...) it actually helps to LOWER CPU Speed to about 500-566 MHz to get clean sound without crackling/choppiness and full framerate. With higher speeds, sound emulation cannot keep up and gets garbled.

Back