Emulation Overclocking Sound

foleyjo

Hi all

I'm having a problem finding the right settings on emulators.
When I overclock I can get a good framerate but the sound always seems to go the wrong pitch.
This is happening in Picodrive and GPSP.
Is there anyway to stop this?

Solod

Still Fresh
foleyjo, at 1.6.0 i haven't problems with overclocking in picodrive, when i need to play sega 32x games

foleyjo

What about sega cd games?
For example I can get Sewer Shark to play at a good speed but all the sounds and voices are really high pitched.

Should I (and how do I) downgrade back to 1.6.0

rohezal

Advanced Member
You played a game where a fat guy is always eating while your flying through sewers oO?

foleyjo

He isn't always eating. If you fly long enough you see him doing a conga line on the beach. Now that's what I call a good reward for clearing the sewers

foleyjo

Think I've fixed it.
Haven't tried with a cd game yet but with Sonic I overclocked and the sound went high pitched.
Then I changed the sound output option to a lower mhz.
Then I put it back to the 44000mhz or whatever it is and the sound was working fine again.

crow_riot

foleyjo said:
Think I've fixed it.
Haven't tried with a cd game yet but with Sonic I overclocked and the sound went high pitched.
Then I changed the sound output option to a lower mhz.
Then I put it back to the 44000mhz or whatever it is and the sound was working fine again.
IIRC that has something todo with hardware timers ... the caanoo doesn't use a separate overclocking independent timer for the audio processing unit ... can't find the forum link right now, but simon from GPH (or ex-GPH) has stated somthing like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

stooovie

Still Fresh
BTW, I've found that with many GBA games (Castlevania, Kirby series...) it actually helps to LOWER CPU Speed to about 500-566 MHz to get clean sound without crackling/choppiness and full framerate. With higher speeds, sound emulation cannot keep up and gets garbled.