Emulation Frame Rates

Billy Lee

I'm thinking of selling my GP32 and getting a GP2X. I just wanted to know what the frame rate is like on DrMD on the GP2X because the only thing imperfect about the GP32 version was the frame rate. Megadrive games usually ran at 60fps on the actual console but on the GP32 they ran at around 30fps at 166MHz. Do Megadrive games run at 60fps on the GP2X?

Also, what frame rate does Golden Axe run on MAME for GP2X? Thanks. :)

Most games run at 59-60 FPS at all times at 200 MHz. There's the option to overclock to 250 MHz in the program although I am going to suggest to Reesy this go up to 300 MHz or above. Some games do run a bit below 60 FPS but they are pretty few and far between-- and an overclock easily takes care of them. It's a damn fast emulator.

Wow! That's brilliant! So what did Squidge do exactly? I remember Reesy did something for a GP32 beta of DrMD that made it overclock to about 190MHz and that made games run at 60fps. Surely it's just the fact that the GP2X runs at 200MHz that it runs at such a high frame rate?

What is MAME like? And what about Golden Axe on MAME?

Actually, at 200 MHz in older versions, relatively stressful games (e.g. Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles, Ecco the Dolphin 2.. things that work the M68000 to over ~50% capacity most of the time) would run closer to 30-40 FPS. The application of the MMU hack by Squidge that accelerates ARM920T processor access to the upper 32MB of memory, where the framebuffer is located (and possibly some other bits DrMDx utilizes) is what caused the speedup of your average game from 30-40 to 59-60 FPS on average at 200 MHz. Now, there's practically nothing that overworks this emulator; though I do ask for an overclocking option to 300 MHz+ since my ARM920T makes it to 312 MHz with relative stability, and there are a few (extremely rare) parts of a couple games, like Globe Holder in Ecco 2 where the M68000 is running at near maximum capacity, the resolution is altered and intense graphical operations are transpiring, where you can see <45 FPS with 250 MHz ARM920T clockrate. But such events of course are few and far between.

I can't speak TOO much of MAME on the '2x since I only play one game in it, Aero Fighters. That game is pretty stressful; it has an M68000 and Z80 and some beefy audio hardware to emulater but with a small overclock runs remarkably well. Haven't tried Golden Axe, sorry.

Some of the more MC68k-intense games (M.U.S.H.A, Sonic 3) require a slight overclock to achieve a steady rate of 60 FPS, at least when you're using 22 kHz soundrate (which is required if you're interested in somewhat accurate sound).

has no one got Golden Axe?
ok hang on I'll just copy it across and give it a go.

EDIT: I cant get it running yet, I think I need to rename the files. Will try to do that later.

Hmm, my version (goldnaxe.zip) freezes when I try to select a character. :( But the Genesis versions run perfectly.

Back