Emulate A Sega Saturn

Illuminerdi said:
SONY said:
Illuminerdi said:
How does that rule go? The emulating system need to be approximately 8 times as fast as the emulated one?
Apparently that has proven to be a false statement now.

10 years later and Sony's still trying to kill the Saturn ;)

Well, even if that rule is false, I'd still be very surprised if it was impossible for the Pandora to emulate the Saturn due to technical limitations.
No no, I believe you are mistaken. It was proven false in both directions: some things need more that 8 times to emulate, and others can get pretty close to 1:1 emulation. That's why the rule is false, it's too general and doesn't take any other factors into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dreamcast! Many, Many good 2d side scrolling shoots! Has anyone seen any updates on the emu in the past 7 months? Would be great news!
(the one major Saturn game I would like to play is Nights)

x68000 said:
Saturn IS the pinnacle of old school gaming :D

Jeez, are you still a kid or what? There's no way that the Saturn (although yes, I'll grant that it was an awesome platform) is "old school". It's far too modern. You'll be telling us the N64 is "retro" next.

ZX81/Spectrum/C64/MSX/BBC et al - the pinnacle of "old school gaming". Even the Amiga is a bit too modern to be considered "old school".

D.

Reality check - Saturn was released 16 years ago. Considering it less than modern doesn't make someone a "kid" >_>

The PINNACLE of gaming was and IS the Sega Mega Drive! Yes, Sega Master System was awesome! C64 and all the old ones are fine. But as people above have stated above, they are opinions.

SEGA MEDA DRIVE!

kingoddball said:
The PINNACLE of gaming was and IS the Sega Mega Drive! Yes, Sega Master System was awesome! C64 and all the old ones are fine. But as people above have stated above, they are opinions.

SEGA MEDA DRIVE!

Haha YESS!!! Just a couple of days ago I was playing Probotector on GENS. Wicked fun game.

^^This information is in no way a useful contribution to this argument, i just wanted to point out how much i miss Sega Genesis/MD2 and can't wait to play them on my pandora. That is all.

Dunny said:
x68000 said:
Saturn IS the pinnacle of old school gaming :D

Jeez, are you still a kid or what? There's no way that the Saturn (although yes, I'll grant that it was an awesome platform) is "old school". It's far too modern. You'll be telling us the N64 is "retro" next.

ZX81/Spectrum/C64/MSX/BBC et al - the pinnacle of "old school gaming". Even the Amiga is a bit too modern to be considered "old school".

D.
I'm finding it difficult to see a timeline which tells me what defines an 'old school' system.

You obviously don't have any grasp over the kind of games that were released on the Saturn in the east.

'Old School' does not just apply to 8-bit home computers. Take a long hard look over the Japanese back catalogue before you start telling me what the correct definition of 'old school' is.

x68000 said:
I'm finding it difficult to see a timeline which tells me what defines an 'old school' system.

You obviously don't have any grasp over the kind of games that were released on the Saturn in the east.

'Old School' does not just apply to 8-bit home computers. Take a long hard look over the Japanese back catalogue before you start telling me what the correct definition of 'old school' is.

Hmm, you appear to have taken offence where none was intended, and launched some sort of attack. I shall tailor my response in kind.

Your definition of 'old school' is obviously wrong, and you are clueless as to what constitutes 'retro' - both terms apply only to those machines I played in my pre-teen years, and the Saturn certainly wasn't around at that point so you are quite 'obviously' wrong. There's no point arguing, you'll not gain any ground.

I have no trouble with reality, thankyou very much mr. exophase.

D.

Removed off topic posts at members request.

@Dunny, Saying, 'Jeez, are you still a kid or what?' and then telling me that, 'no offence was intended' is pretty rich. Please attempt to restrain the personal atatcks, and take this as a warning.

In my eyes, 2 Dimensional games, no matter when they were released are Old School, whether they were released on a zx-81 or a PS3. The Saturn just so happened to have a fantastic number of these games and was certainly the spiritual successor to the PC-Engine, while other systems such as the PSX and N64 began the transition into what we play today.

x68000 said:
Removed off topic posts at members request.

@Dunny, Saying, 'Jeez, are you still a kid or what?' and then telling me that, 'no offence was intended' is pretty rich. Please attempt to restrain the personal atatcks, and take this as a warning.

In my eyes, 2 Dimensional games, no matter when they were released are Old School, whether they were released on a zx-81 or a PS3. The Saturn just so happened to have a fantastic number of these games and was certainly the spiritual successor to the PC-Engine, while other systems such as the PSX and N64 began the transition into what we play today.
Yeah, the Saturn was a 2-D power house. I consider it a classic/retro/old school console myself! Some of the best games ever appeared there. Here's hoping we see some decent emulation at some point. ;)

Chris

For me I would hope for Saturn Emulation as it is now the only console I have never experienced either on the physical system or emulation. I'm pretty sure I have tried just about every other available system. I just wish we would have never thrown out my Coleco Telestar after we got the Atari 2600. Now there's something I would love to play again for the nostalgia and not something you could just emulate (well everything but the gun could be) I also threw out my Atari some years later (SNES days) and have hated myself for that. I should also have never sold my TG16/Express and the 95 games I had collected over time. Should have never gave away my Dreamcast either. So many mistakes, which is why my Pandora will have to be completely unrepairable. Getting rid of it should NEVER be an option.

kingoddball said:

SEGA MEDA DRIVE!

You appear to have misspelled "PC Engine". :p

Loonie said:
kingoddball said:

SEGA MEDA DRIVE!

You appear to have misspelled "Mattel Intelevision". :p

WizardStan said:
Loonie said:
kingoddball said:

SEGA MEDA DRIVE!

You appear to have misspelled "Mattel Intelevision". :p

Thanks Wizard!
That'll learn him!
You cannot win! SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the threads gone to crap again. Take this to off-topic discussion or something.

I was comparing the SH-2's processors in the Saturn and the 32X, and it seems that the differences are minimal, the 32X has slightly slower MHz and I can't seem to find information if they have any on-chip cache.

Would the work Notaz has done on SH-2 emulation for his Wiz/GP2X Picodrive emulator (which lately has been getting 32X support) help towards Saturn emulation? :)

MDave said:
Seriously, the threads gone to crap again. Take this to off-topic discussion or something.

I was comparing the SH-2's processors in the Saturn and the 32X, and it seems that the differences are minimal, the 32X has slightly slower MHz and I can't seem to find information if they have any on-chip cache.

Would the work Notaz has done on SH-2 emulation for his Wiz/GP2X Picodrive emulator (which lately has been getting 32X support) help towards Saturn emulation? :)

The CPUs are like you say, the cache is also the same in the 32X. 32X + Genesis was kind of like a half-Saturn and was definitely part of Sega's development path. The 32X documentation even mentions Saturn in a few places.

notaz's work would probably help a lot. For all we know, he might be interested in trying a Saturn emulator himself, although the work needed for the two VDPs, DSPs, audio chip, and CD-ROM management can't be underestimated.

Back