Elder Scrolls: Arena

kennyk

Still Fresh
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I couldn't decide which.

I read about a month and a half ago that Arena was ported to the dingoo. Do you think a port for the good ol Pandora is possible by the same developer, or by other developer? Both arena and Daggerfall have been released for free on Bethesda's site (I'm guessing the source was too?). Anyway, I think it would be awesome if some kind developer might work on it, as I have no real programming skills myself.

Thanks again for reading,
Charles

kennyk said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I couldn't decide which.

I read about a month and a half ago that Arena was ported to the dingoo. Do you think a port for the good ol Pandora is possible by the same developer, or by other developer? Both arena and Daggerfall have been released for free on Bethesda's site (I'm guessing the source was too?). Anyway, I think it would be awesome if some kind developer might work on it, as I have no real programming skills myself.

Thanks again for reading,
Charles
if the source code was released it could be done on the Pandora. If the Dingoo can handle it, the Pandora definitely can.We've got 200Mhz more than the dingoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game on the Openhandhelds archive is just a convenient wrapper for the game for dosbox. Heck, it even requires dosbox available to work.
Bethseda hasn't released the sources of any of their games, so a native port is unlikely.

I'm curious how it runs on the Dingoo, but however it runs, the Pandora will do so better.

Of course, I might be talking about something else, but a source release of any high profile game is bound to go noticed through the internets no matter how old the game is.

I tried Arena using dosbox on the pandora and it was close to playable at 1 Ghz overclocking. Not sure how it worked on the Dingoo.

MUMBL35 said:
I tried Arena using dosbox on the pandora and it was close to playable at 1 Ghz overclocking. Not sure how it worked on the Dingoo.
You can ove clock to 1 Ghz? Jesus! I thought max was 800Mhz! God, we would be able to emulate everything up to the 360/ps3 if only ocmpanies would release source...

linc186 said:
MUMBL35 said:
You can ove clock to 1 Ghz? Jesus! I thought max was 800Mhz! God, we would be able to emulate everything up to the 360/ps3 if only ocmpanies would release source...

The new firmware lets you overvolt to OMAP 4 and 5. It lets me get to about 1 Ghz.

Does anyone know if the Dingoo Dosbox port have any kind of special hardware acceleration? If not I'm not sure how playable it would be. Maybe I'll post something in the Dingoo forums.

MUMBL35 said:
Does anyone know if the Dingoo Dosbox port have any kind of special hardware acceleration? If not I'm not sure how playable it would be. Maybe I'll post something in the Dingoo forums.
I don't think s0. It doesn't even have a 3D chip in it. How is that port even possible?

that would be totally awesome :) I heard that someone (sorry can't remimber who) is going to optimize Dosbox alot more. and hopefullty it will be possible with some epic overcloking. :)

The arena.exe file contained in the Dingoo zip file is different from the one that I have. They're both 1.06, apparently, but one is a little bit smaller. Doesn't seem to make a difference on my Pandora which of the two I run, it's still just a too slow, even at minimum quality setting it's not quite smooth enough for a comfortable play experience, I think.

WizardStan said:
The arena.exe file contained in the Dingoo zip file is different from the one that I have. They're both 1.06, apparently, but one is a little bit smaller. Doesn't seem to make a difference on my Pandora which of the two I run, it's still just a too slow, even at minimum quality setting it's not quite smooth enough for a comfortable play experience, I think.

I tried the file as well and did not make a difference. I'm not sure what the commands did in the config file, but they didn't work.

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know it was a dosbox wrapper. I hope someone can get it to work one day, and maybe even daggerfall (but proby not).
Thanks again.

kennyk said:
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know it was a dosbox wrapper. I hope someone can get it to work one day, and maybe even daggerfall (but proby not).
Thanks again.
Oddly enough, Arena runs worse, or at least, almost as bad on my computer than Daggerfall, so perhaps should Arena become more playable, Daggerfall may need no more work.
Obviously without some monster cpu, those games are too far from any portable device, for quite some time.

Could dosbox be more optimiced?. If I recall correctly, the arm recompiler is quite on par with the pc counterpart in terms of efficiency, so I don't think we'll see unplayable games becoming playable.
Unlike the mips port (the one on the dingoo) that "small" amounts of work can translate in serious gains.

Klepto said:
The Daggrefall source code has been lost, there are no known copies in existance.

That really sucks. Is this straight from Bethesda?

kennyk said:
That really sucks. Is this straight from Bethesda?
I don't know if they have ever made a definitive statement about it, but there have been persistent rumours in numerous places on the net for many years.

Back