Eight Character Smc Name Limit

pea

developer
Website
www.projectitis.com
Hi There,

I was just reading a post on the newbie board that said:
i bought my card reader off of ebay for $2, and it was $8 after shipping. For $8 it was the best money I spent on my GP32 because of speed in which you can transfer stuff, and also a card reader is not limited to the 8 character limit that pc link is, so I can transfer something that is more than 8 characters without a problem, that was my biggest pain in the ass, downloading something, then trying to transfer it forgetting that it needed renamed.

Does this mean that the SMC can have files with names on it that don't follow the 8.3 standard? Can these files be accessed and read using, say, the smc functions by MrMirko?

Cheers,
Pea

Yes, you can.
If you download Pc-link 1.3.1 Hacked Deluxe English, or try GPdrive program you can do the same thing with your USB cable.

Byes.

Yes, you can.
If you download Pc-link 1.3.1 Hacked Deluxe English, or try GPdrive program you can do the same thing with your USB cable.

Byes.

Using a card reader, you also can.
That's because the longer file name is included in the FAT Fileinformation, so basically, every FAT supports long names, but they will be shortened if the program you're reading them with doesn't support this.

Last edited:
Yeah why people can't develop their progs on gp32 to support long file names... I got the 6 megaman on NES and it's hard to find which one is the 4th qhen you got names like megama`1.nes (sorry can't do the little wave caracter...). I know I could rename all my files but I feel it would be cool to have full filenames!!!

Yeah why people can't develop their progs on gp32 to support long file names... I got the 6 megaman on NES and it's hard to find which one is the 4th qhen you got names like megama`1.nes (sorry can't do the little wave caracter...). I know I could rename all my files but I feel it would be cool to have full filenames!!!

??? :blink:
How about naming them megaman1.nes, megaman2.nes, ..., megaman6.nes instead of "Megaman 1.nes" (i think your roms names are like this)
megaman1.nes for example has 8+3 characters, and is well shown on your gp32...

Last edited by a moderator:

??? :blink:
How about naming them megaman1.nes, megaman2.nes, ..., megaman6.nes instead of "Megaman 1.nes" (i think your roms names are like this)
megaman1.nes for example has 8+3 characters, and is well shown on your gp32...

If he uses the GOOD ROM names (like myself), rom names are much longer like "Mega Man 1 (U)[!].nes"

Last edited:
Those confuse the hell out of me! What does the exclamation mark mean?

[!] means, it's a good dump :)

Just read the readme, it's all there:

STANDARD CODES

[a] Alternate [p] Pirate
Bad Dump [t] Trained
[f] Fixed [T-] OldTranslation
[T+] NewerTranslation
[h] Hack (-) Unknown Year
[o] Overdump [!] Verified Good Dump
(M#) Multilanguage (# of Languages)
(###) Checksum (??k) ROM Size
ZZZ_ Unclassified (Unl) Unlicensed

................: SPECIAL CODES ::...............
: :\
: .-----Gameboy-----. .----Super Nintendo----. :\
: [ [C] Color ] [ (BS) BS ROMs ] :\
: [ Super ] [ (ST) Sufami Turbo ] :\
: [ [BF] Bung Fix ] [ (NP) Nintendo Power ] :\
: `-----------------' `----------------------' :\
: .--------Atari---------. :\
: .-----Genesis-----. [ (PAL) Euro Version ] :\
: [ (1) Japan ] `----------------------' :\
: [ (4) USA ] .---------GBA----------. :\
: [ (5) NTSC Only ] [ [hI??] Intro hacks ] :\
: [ (8) PAL Only ] `----------------------' :\
: [ (B) non USA ] .--------Coleco--------. :\
: [ [c] Checksum ] [ (Adam) ADAM Version ] :\
: [ [x] Bad Checksum] `----------------------' :\
: [ [R-] Countries ] :\
: `-----------------' :\
: .--------NES/FC--------. :\
: .--NeoGeo Pocket--. [ (PC10) PlayChoice 10 ] :\
: [ [M] Mono Only ] [ (VS) Versus ] :\
: `-----------------' [ [hFFE] FFE Copier fmt] :\
: `----------------------' :\
:...............................................:\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

................: COUNTRY CODES ::...............
: :\
: (1) Japan & Korea (4) USA & BrazilNTSC :\
: (A) Australia (J) Japan :\
: (B) non USA (Genesis) (K) Korea :\
: © China (NL) Netherlands :\
: (E) Europe (PD) Public Domain :\
: (F) France (S) Spain :\
: (F) World (Genesis) :\
: (FC) French Canadian (SW) Sweden :\
: (FN) Finland (U) USA :\
: (G) Germany (UK) England :\
: (GR) Greece (Unk) Unknown Country :\
: (HK) Hong Kong (I) Italy :\
: (H) Holland (Unl) Unlicensed :\
:...............................................:\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

If you read more of the GoodCodes Readme, you'll get a detailed
explanation :)

Last edited:
So if I make my apps support long filenames, then I just have to be sure to include instructions NOT to use the original GPLink software? SOunds good to me...

So if I make my apps support long filenames, then I just have to be sure to include instructions NOT to use the original GPLink software? SOunds good to me...

Yes, it should be that easy.
There are description of the VFAT (VirtualFAT, that's what those files with long filenames are called) available on the net.

Last edited:
Back