Eclipse On Pandora?

crasherball

hi,
I wonder if it will be possible to install eclipse on pandora
I mean...its a huge program....
does anybody know the system-requirements for eclipse?

are there such things as requirements for eclipse? :eek:

1) Wrong section.

2) The Pandora doesn't ship with a full QWERTY keyboard or mouse, which would likely make coding on it difficult. Someone will probably try to get it to run, but it's not going to be out-of-the-box software. ;)

I doubt there's enough ram. Look for a text editor, I'm partial to Kate.

Eugh, Kate? Don't that require most of the QT3 libs? Pretty silly(and heavy) for just a text editor.

Gimmie nano or vi, I'll be happy :p

I don't think the keypad is flexible enough for the symbols used in development, maybe with a usb keyboard.

Anyway, eclipse is java plus uses lots of ram and relies on high-res screens.

So, not such a good mix on the pandora.

i expected it to run outofthebox
but ya well, I thought ram would be the problem

about the keyboard: u can actually go ahead and map ur qwerty-keyboard as u want to be able using special-characters
about the mouse: touchscreen? :-||

Komodo Edit is based on xulrunner and is quite lean, should work if you want a full ide.

Sphinxter said:
and there is no swap.
He means that Gentoo complains when you compile Eclipse, not when you use Eclipse to compile something. It would be released as a pre-compiled binary, so you wouldn't have to worry about that part of the process. I don't know how much RAM it uses when you are running it though, so I can't say where there are other memory issues present.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, thanks for the answers guys

guess I'll be stuck with gedit or pico for my java-programming :D

Vorporeal said:
I don't know how much RAM it uses when you are running it though, so I can't say where there are other memory issues present.

It struggled to run (ALONE and without any extra packs, only JDK) in my laptop when it had 256MB of RAM. If I opened any other program, the entire computer was semi-unusable. If I opened just Eclipse and Firefox, I'd better say "oops, I did it again. Better to reboot now than wait for Firefox to get focus." :p

It'll run vi, and it'll even be (just) powerful enough to run emacs.

What else could you possibly need?

chadnickbok said:
It'll run vi, and it'll even be (just) powerful enough to run emacs.

What else could you possibly need?
eclipse lol :D

Vorporeal said:
He means that Gentoo complains when you compile Eclipse, not when you use Eclipse to compile something. It would be released as a pre-compiled binary, so you wouldn't have to worry about that part of the process. I don't know how much RAM it uses when you are running it though, so I can't say where there are other memory issues present.
It uses at least 128 MB, if not 256 MB, never mind if you're running the Visual Editor (which alone takes up another 128 MB). I use to have a meter in one version of Eclipse that would tell me how much memory was being used. It would steadily climb to the point where the garbage collector would have to kick in, and I'd see about a 25% drop in usage. To me, that isn't Java's fault, that's a terrible job of memory management on the part of Eclipse developers. :p

The big feature for me in Eclipse is the nice auto-completion feature. Once you've selected a method, it'll even list out each argument as you type. That I'd like, especially on a small keyboard like the Pandora. :)

Back