Port Request - Cool Reader

leathco

I may be wrong, but after browsing the repo I cannot find an ebook reader that supports .mobi formats.  I have a large ebook collection in .mobi and would love to use the Pandora to read them.

After doing some browsing I came across Cool Reader - http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/

I am rubbish at coding, don't know the first thing about it.  However from what I can tell browsing the site there are both Linux and ARM versions of this available.  Does that mean it could be made for Pandora?  Looks like a great ebook reader for epub formats!

Grabbed the sources and compiled it.

Done a quick test with is, here a some screenshot.

130415-081054.png 130415-081237.png

I'll package it and post it in a few hours. I think FBreader is better fit for the Pandora, but I guess alternative are a good thing.

Grabbed the sources and compiled it.

Done a quick test with is, here a some screenshot.

attachicon.gif
130415-081054.png
attachicon.gif
130415-081237.png

I'll package it and post it in a few hours. I think FBreader is better fit for the Pandora, but I guess alternative are a good thing.
Before you put it in the repo can you apply some proper settings first ? That will help and avoid extra rework for everyone when starting the application. Such as, for example, having the text in horizontal orientation at start, plus the right font used and the right font size (not too big and not too small). Of course this is left to your judgement :) Thanks!

One more question, does coolreader support Japanese?

Last edited by a moderator:
About japanese, I have no idea, and have no Japanese sample book to test.

About orientation & size I font, I completely agree. I have to mess with that (the screenshots where just quick one, not the "final" package"). By default, it open a a normal application, in landscape mode, but i'm not sure it"s the best orientation, so I used rotate. Also, horisontal as a "double page" display by default that is not so good on the Pandora Screen. And the first rotate is the 1st Screenshot, not the one I will naturaly use, screen beeing at the left side. I prefer screen at the right side. But I must say that the advantage of the screen on the left is that the DPad is easily reached to scroll or change page (both or possible).

About font screen, the one on the screenshots is still a bit to big in my taste, but I guess that would change (it can be easily changed). Bigest problem (not showed on the screenshot) is the Preference dialog that is to big, I should try to make it fit the screen (and hope scrollbar can be added to it automatically). This soft can use many different GUI (I choose Qt, but I can pick Wx also), so I guess hacking it would be difficult...

Wow that was fast! Also I didn't know the other reader supported mobi, my mistake.

However I'm glad I found an app and judged correctly if it could be compiled, its another learning step for me.

Huge thanks and props to you guys. That was incredibly fast.

I will take some time to try configure the soft to better fit the Pandora. Grabbing and Compiling was easy (git clone git://blblbla / cd coolreader / ccmake . / messing with the install dir / make / make install), now, more difficult part is to have a perfectly usable soft. Not always easy, it depend on the soft.

For example, one of the point is "fullscreen" doesn't hide Controls. That a waste of screenspace on Pandora...

Back