Easy filesystem sharing between Mac & OpenPandora. HFS+ (hfsplus) sharing without file permission ha

porg

So far I used FAT32 for the SD card sharing between my Pandora and my Mac.

Now comes a point, where I'd like to use symbolic links on the SD card.

As hfsplus is supported on the Pandora OS since June 2013, I am trying to figure out the simplest possible way to share a HFS+ formatted partition between my Pandora and my Mac. I want to avoid any file permission efforts/headaches, as security does not matter in the issue, as the OpenPandora is pure leisure for me.

APPROACH 1: Change the Mac user/group to that of the OpenPandora.

As the Mac is my working machine, and the Pandora my leisure device,

this approach is excluded by principle.

APPROACH 2: Change the OpenPandora user/group to that of the Mac.

This is probably the easiest way to go.

Don't know how well the Pandora OS, libpnd and specific PNDs react to other-than-default UIDs and GIDs...

Any experiences?

APPROACH 3: Change the HFS+ mount behavior on the Pandora

3a) at best in a fashion which ignores file permissions.

On the Mac you have the option "Ignore ownership on this volume".

But technically this just causes files on the Mac to be associated with user and group id 99 "unknown".

I changed /etc/fstab on the Pandora to this:

Code:
LABEL=snpa /media/snpa hfsplus defaults,force,uid=99,gid=99 0 0

Having considered this sources:

On the Pandora I'd need to ensure that my user gets membership in group 99 for r/w access of existing files. (Btw, how?)

But what about newly created files? They still get the UID/GID of the default Pandora user, as my test showed. Overwriting keeps UID/GID 99, creating new file/dir creates them with the default Pandora user UID/GID.

So no way around approach 2?

3b) Is there a way to mount the drive that the current user can r/w existing UID/GID 99 files/dirs AND newly created files/dirs get that UID/GID under which it is "specially mounted" (being 99)? Or no way around approach 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you change UID/GID on the Pandora to look like those on your mac ?

Why don't you change UID/GID on the Pandora to look like those on your mac ?
That is my approach nr.2, I just had uncertainties, as stated here:

Don't know how well the Pandora OS, libpnd and specific PNDs react to other-than-default UIDs and GIDs... Any experiences?
And wanted an answer from you experts whether there are any downsides to this?

Should be ok for UID. Maybe you'll have to chown your /home/* and its hidden files inside after that.

Thanks for that answer!

I postpone that solution for now, as I workaround my need for symbolic and hard links, simply by duplicating the content on my FAT32 volume accordingly ;-)

Not elegant — but effective :)

Storage space is so plenty nowadays ;-)

Back