E3 2015

- MacIntosh and his inquisitoress fighting against all gamer related stuff (this year "violent games" like Doom)

- big companies advocating their DRMed Windows games

- nVidia and ATI showing off their newest 40cm long blow-dryers now with integrated nuclear power source and liquid nitrogen cooling system

- MacIntosh and his inquisitoress fighting against all gamer related stuff (this year "violent games" like Doom)
I clicked the link and read most of what was there. I would be interested in seeing the documents that support his claim that violent games = violent people, but not enough to seek it out (and I wonder if it peer-reviewed). I have seen something recently that showed that there was no correlation (actually, it may have even taken it one step further and said that violent games make better balanced people in general, but I don't remember the details, and, again, I didn't dig any deeper...it was my entertainment time).

Since allowing others the freedom to say or create what they want means you are supporting that (not even getting into how violent things can get when people try to stop those they merely suspect of doing or saying things they dislike or disagree with) that means that the sites and services that he uses agree with him, right? They must, they let him say it (are there really people that believe this?*). Even the ones that allow people to post/say/produce/share what he disagrees with? And everyone who reposts or shares what he says? I wish people wouldn't try to make decisions for the rest of us, or spread lies like this. Is he vocally opposed to other freedoms or human rights?

If you don't like it don't play it.

*Possibly the same ones that were always giving me problems in high school if I expressed interest, or even mentioned, something they felt went against their interpretation of their holy books, or just because I didn't go to church (or their church). Their response was often in the form of violence (and it was perfectly acceptable for them to seek out casual sex, although that was widely stated as not being allowed...I could dig deeper, but it is of little value here). I am unsure if the "like Doom" was a reference to that time and people like what I described or not, but it is a perfect example, since it did come up, and yet similar people that are even more involved in such churches are now playing these games, such as aspiring pastors.

If this starts to become a side discussion can we split it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope starfox will be good :\
You and me both. I really don't understand how "N" constantly releases the same games year after year, with a new coat of paint, while every time they seem to do something Star Fox related, they need to reinvent the wheel. Star Fox 2 was the first where they decided to go for something different, and realized it didn't work, and fix the errors for SF64.

We've really only had 2 good games out of the bunch, as Miyamoto seems hell bent to do something lame each time. Why not do something "New" for 2D Mario, or those same game Mario Kart efforts?

In all my years of going to CES and E3, the debut for the SNES Star Fox is probably my favorite experience. There are videos on the web, but they don't do the experience justice. Every since then, I have loved SF, and sadly, "N" doesn't seem to show the same love.

I'm hopeful we'll get something decent, but after what the showed last year, I'm not holding my breath. Anyway, their show is less than 15 minutes away, so lets keep our fingers crossed. https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo

Chris

Star Fox Muppets already...

Edit: Zelda stuff as expected, and a Metroid Prime game (kinda).  I guess I am happy for the Metroid one.

Historically there's always been games for all my Nintendo systems that I've wanted to play. Together with video for games in the near future - ie Zelda. Not this year.

Everything is multi-player or Amiibo enhanced. They seem to have forgoten about WiiU altogether. The only new WiiU games mentioned were Mario Tennis (v28) and an Animal Crossing borad game. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

They couldn't even give us a glimpse of Zelda WiiU to at least keep us slightly interested.

I agree a bit.  I was really hoping for a Wii U Metroid, which is why I wasn't more excited.  Any new Metroid is better than nothing (maybe), but I really think it deserves better.  I still haven't completed Other M, and MPH was fun for what it was, but I want a traditional Metroid game, and even the Prime trilogy fits that better than Other M, imo.  I missed part of the very short clip about this game because I got busy for a moment right after it started.  During the few seconds I saw it seemed to be more along the lines of MPH, which is pretty much just a FPS (I don't remember if the new one was first person perspective).  Other handheld Metroid games were real Metroid games.  This one looks cheesy ("They will buy it, it has the Metroid Prime name on it" I guess).  Either way, I like Metroid and FPSs, so I guess I should give it a chance.  I also like handheld many games.

But I want a big, full, single-player Metroid game...

Yeah, that was typical "N". Nothing really great, but those "co-op" games are useless in my opinion, but they are going where the money is. I thought Amiibos where crap from the first announcement, but look at how much extra money they can now make from doing very little work, it's no surprise this is where their focus lies.

Star Fox looked decent, but not great. I'll see how the reviews go at launch. Yoshi's yarn looks cool, and might be a return to the greatness of the original. The new Mario Luigi game also looks cool, but besides that, there is nothing I'm wanting.

Chris

World of Final Fantasy, seems like i have to charge my Vita yet

Hopefully it will gives the vita more sales..

The Mario and Luigi Paper Mario Game also sound great, and Hyrule Warriors 3DS is Day one Buy..

I will getter more informations if i have some time..

Yeah, that was typical "N". Nothing really great, but those "co-op" games are useless in my opinion, but they are going where the money is. I thought Amiibos where crap from the first announcement, but look at how much extra money they can now make from doing very little work, it's no surprise this is where their focus lies.

Star Fox looked decent, but not great. I'll see how the reviews go at launch. Yoshi's yarn looks cool, and might be a return to the greatness of the original. The new Mario Luigi game also looks cool, but besides that, there is nothing I'm wanting.

Chris
Yeah, I thought Amiibos were stupid when they first started talking about them, but as seen in the thread about recent purchases I bought a Varia suit Samus (prolly not gonna get the other one, but we shall see).  It took me a while to decide that I like it as a figurine, and that it might be cool to have some of the little things that it can do in games.  I may end up getting the 8-bit Mario and some others.  

Yoshi's Yarn might be fun, and I will probably pick it up eventually (maybe in a couple years).  I might get an Amiibo for it long before I get the game.  It seems they really suckered me in with the whole Amiibo thing (but I am not going all Pokemon, "Gotta catch 'em all", over it).  

I have actually been waiting for Mario Maker since it was announced, and hope to make and play some great levels once it is released.  I won't be surprised if most of what is produced is horrible compared to official ones.

The Mario and Luigi Paper Mario Game also sound great, and Hyrule Warriors 3DS is Day one Buy..
Paper Mario never appealed to me, although I do like many of the side-scrollers.  Hyrule Warriors isn't even a Zelda game in my eyes, but I have a Zelda fan here that wanted the first one, and it isn't one of the types of games this person usually plays.  I am guessing it was good marketing to brand it as a Zelda game.  Do you like them for the Zelda link (...wow, definitely did not mean for that pun to get in there, but I do remember seeing Link wearing a Zelda dress in the other game...), or as stand alone games?

I paused the live feed I had playing in the background when they said they were going to show them playing the new Metroid "Prime" game.  After I watch that I need to pretend to be productive again for a while.

Yeah, I like the Paper Mario games, and to be fair that was probably the only game I cared about in the whole presentation. I already have Hyrule Warriors on WiiU, so I won't be buying the 3DS version.

I won't buy any more Nintendo machines where the output I want is less than two games per year - unless those games are Pikmin and a proper Zelda. ;)

Just for clarification:
Isn't "Amiibo" this hardware-DRM for Nintendo's new (day-1?) DLCs disguised as a collector's item?

I am unsure if the "like Doom" was a reference to that time and people like what I described or not
No, it was a reference to McIntosh and his sect's rant against the new Doom, but yeah, things haven't changed and it reminds me of the backlash Doom (1) got in the local media, it was immediately banned from Germany and stayed that way for 15 years, it seems people like this are always present, but I hope they don't get any vote in such decisions internationally.

I have seen something recently that showed that there was no correlation (actually, it may have even taken it one step further and said that violent games make better balanced people in general, but I don't remember the details, and, again, I didn't dig any deeper...it was my entertainment time).
Yes, you are right, every proper research (and there has been a lot) proved the opposite of what it was supposed to prove, but fanatics can't be hindered by facts and reason.

Just for clarification:

Isn't "Amiibo" this hardware-DRM for Nintendo's new (day-1?) DLCs disguised as a collector's item?
Exactly. I am not very fond of the whole amiibo thing as there is sometimes very interesting bonus content I can't get a hold of - and I am surely won't buy that cheaply made crap (at least the squid thingy my son has is).

Just for clarification:

I suppose you could call it that, but everything I have bothered to look into with them uses it to get a minor unlockable, usually a costume or something.  Additionally it can be used to store some data, although I kinda doubt it is anything like how memory cards used to function.  A costume (or daily bonus powerup, or whatever the SSB "training" stuff is) isn't quite what I would call DLC.  I think most people buy them as collectibles, not to actually use them.

Back