Dzz Games

Dzz

stmia r0!, {r2-r9}
Website
Visit site
Hi gp2xers!

I used to be an active developer, etc, in the gp2x scene (Vektar, Zooov, NetHack port). About a year ago I got burned out and quit. I was trying to do too many things -- demo competition, review website, tutorial development articles, and so on, and I got sick of it.

Recently my friend Pete reminded me how much fun it is though, with the release of his great game Blast Riot! for the GBAX compo. So I am trying to put my development environment back together again and remember all the stuff I forgot about coding for the gp2x.

My goal is to limit myself to just doing the thing I enjoy most -- writing goofy little games. By "goofy little game" I mean something that looks kind of cool and provides a couple hours of diversion for people who like it, and at least a little bit of an aesthetic experience for folks who don't care for the game itself. I'd rather do little things like that than huge projects with endless ongoing update releases.

In the last year a lot of you developers have produced some amazing stuff, great job!

A couple pre-emptive answers to questions:

1. No, I will not be doing an update to NetHack in the near future. I don't think it really needs one, and it won't be much fun to dig into it again.
2. I don't think I will be doing a sequel to Zooov 4:05. Not many people seemed to like the first one all that much and its download count is not particularly high.
3. gp2xgamer.com won't be returning, there's too much homebrew to keep track of anyway!
4. I have no plans at present to run another demo competition, but you never know.

Now, where's my compiler....

Welcome back, Dzz. I was wondering what happened to you. It is a big gain for everyone to have you back.

I personally loved Zoov, and I remember a lot of other people did as well. I look forward to all of your future releases :)

Will you be running for president of the United States? The Oval Office needs a great video game developer to lead the country into the future. If of course you have the time in between make goofy little games because that's what we want most.

Aww, no more further progress on Nethack?
Ohwell, it's near-perfect already anyways.. :)

Glad to see you back!

Welcome back Dzz, I wondered where you went.
Also: Zooov is great imo

2. I don't think I will be doing a sequel to Zooov 4:05. Not many people seemed to like the first one all that much and its download count is not particularly high.

i just heard of zoov now through your post and just tried it, it is excellent! is the idea original?
being able to control spin of rotation would be handy! as well as an exit key!

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you back!

and as a side note... Zoov will always have a special place in my SD card

Ahh, great to see you returning. I always thought it was a real pity that you left.

Even if you don't make any games at all, your expertise helps (and has helped) many others!

Julius said:
Even if you don't make any games at all, your expertise helps (and has helped) many others!
Indeed. PicoDrive (and Gngeo2x too) ARM940 code is derived from ogg940, many thanks for your important work!

Last edited by a moderator:
great to have you back. it sucked when you left suddenly. welcome back. i loved everything you did and ive never not had your nethack port, vektar, and zoov on my sd card.

can't wait to see what you come up with.

Back