in fork!
PND ++ /media/TRANSCEND16/pandora/menu//d1x-rebirth.pnd
mountpoint: /media/TRANSCEND16
Basename: d1x
mkdir -p /mnt/pnd/d1x
/mnt/utmp/d1x
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 124: [: !: integer expression expected
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.
LoopMountedon:
/dev/loop4
Filetype is Squashfs
sudo mount -t squashfs /dev/loop4
mounting union!
Filesystem is vfat
cp: `default/..' and `.' are the same file
Error: Not enough strings in text file - expecting 621 (or at least 514), found 555
Error: Not enough strings in text file - expecting 621 (or at least 514), found 555
app exited
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/d1x': Device or resource busy
rm: cannot remove `/mnt/utmp/d1x': Is a directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/TRANSCEND16/pandora/appdata/d1x/.wh..wh.plnk': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/TRANSCEND16/pandora/appdata/d1x/.wh..wh..tmp': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/media/TRANSCEND16/pandora/appdata/d1x/': Directory not empty
cleanup done

D2X-Rebirth added:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,177

D1X-Rebirth will see a update

NOTE: Ive removed the need for the data folder, if you update move the PIG files to the appdata folder
Transparency effects option in d2x has issues if you use that option.

@whynodd : no idea, maybe try a higher clock, im not going to try and look into it. (I dont think its really issue that can be fixed)

@darkblu : thanks, i thought it was eduke32 ;-) I dont have any data for freespace, anyway your the 3d expert ;-)

@yod4z : looks like you may not have patched the data files.

DOH! - A huge slap upside the head for me, had a sudden attack of incontinence when i glanced at this thread
(Deus Ex on Pandora YES!!)

Anyway i digress, fantastic work so far more power to your elbow.

Pickle said:
@Yod4z : looks like you may not have patched the data files.
thanks, that's it ;) i have old cd game and need to patch to 1.4. I have found the need file to patch on http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/sourceforge/d/project/dx/dxx-rebirth/OldFiles/

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
@darkblu : thanks, i thought it was eduke32 ;-)
i thought we're on a FIFO here : )

I dont have any data for freespace, anyway your the 3d expert ;-)
naaah, i'm just gonna be just another guy who plays the heck out of it once you port it ; )

seriously though, freespace(2) was opensourced a long time ago. by that time it was already hw-accelerated (3dfx glide, perhaps d3d too but my memory is hazy). anyway, the community took it and did some serious work on it (well, mainly server-side). around that time i lost my tab on it, but i would not be surprised if freespace already had a desktop GL port today. at the very worst case it'd be glide, and glide maps relatively easily to gl (no surprise, given glide's origins). i'm very much game for porting freespace, but i'm not sure i'd have the time resource for the complete package. still, i'd be glad to help with the display part.

Pickle said:
@whynodd : no idea, maybe try a higher clock, im not going to try and look into it. (I dont think its really issue that can be fixed)
Nevermind, D2X instead runs like it should. No bad input lag. PERFECT!
Pandora: The first handheld with enough buttons to play Descent.

Pickle said:
D2X-Rebirth added:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,177

D1X-Rebirth will see a update

NOTE: Ive removed the need for the data folder, if you update move the PIG files to the appdata folder
Transparency effects option in d2x has issues if you use that option.

@darkblu : thanks, i thought it was eduke32 ;-) I dont have any data for freespace, anyway your the 3d expert ;-)

@Yod4z : looks like you may not have patched the data files.
There should be some kind of readme or instructions somewhere for this.

I have a few questions. Do you need all pig files? Do you need the hog files at all? Which ones do you need as I see sometimes there are many of each type?

I got D1 to work but not D2, it just dumps out. Maybe I am missing some files but not sure which ones.

Also the text is hard to read, parts of it are blotchy/missing. Is there maybe a way to toggle the blurr filter off that is put on the graphics? That may be causing that.

Thanks for the great work.

This really is an amazing port, absolutly brilliant game on the Pandora, would be nice to use the nubs but other than that its great.
Quick question regarding the files, I thought it was only the .pig files that were needed but this did not work for me and had to copy the entire contents from my C:/games/descent folder. Doesnt really matter as its working great.
Cheers Craig.

I just added this with the version of Descent I purchased from GOG.com ages ago. It needed the .hog and .pig files, but once I figured that out it worked great. It's ridiculously cool having this on a handheld! Many thanks, Pickle.

I do have one (possibly stupid) question though - any way to get music?

OldGamer said:

all you need is the timidity intruments, someone had made a pnd to install these to the nand. I installed them myself manually

I will put up a list of files on the first post when i have a minute

CraigW said:
This really is an amazing port, absolutly brilliant game on the Pandora, would be nice to use the nubs but other than that its great.
Hey, the nubs work. Before I start the game, I switch both nubs to joystick mode*. It seems to work more accurate than "nubmousing" and I can use both this way in the game. Then I can set up my controls in Descent. Just tick "joystick" in the game options and assign the joystick axes how you like.

My setup:
Left Nub: aiming
Right Nub: throttle and strafing left/right
Shoulder Buttons: Fire/Alt-Fire
ABXY: Strafing in all directions
DPad: Strafing up/down and banking left/right
and all the other functions are on the keyboard (automap, afterburner, flares, shieldconverter etc.)
With this setup, I have maximum control in all directions.

Its a bit tricky to use special game functions (save, load, Guidebot commandos) because they are combinations of shift/alt/strg + Fkeys but they work.

* I copied the relevant sections of EDs Nub-Setup script and saved my own small oneliner scripts on the desktop to quick change between mousing and joystick mode.

Pickle said:
all you need is the timidity intruments, someone had made a pnd to install these to the nand. I installed them myself manually
It was me. this is offline now.

No problem with timidity in your games ?

I remember playing descent way back when I was a tiddler. Gave me absolutely chronic motion sickness, but I would just keep playing until I physically had to go throw up.

Great game.

Pickle said:
OldGamer said:

I will put up a list of files on the first post when i have a minute
Is there a way to install timidity to the SD card, maybe in a "timidity" directory in appdata? I hate mucking with the NAND especially since there is not much room there. Maybe this could be an option have it look in both NAND OR timidity dir in appdata?

DaveC said:
Is there a way to install timidity to the SD card, maybe in a "timidity" directory in appdata? I hate mucking with the NAND especially since there is not much room there. Maybe this could be an option have it look in both NAND OR timidity dir in appdata?
I think the problem is that timidity is a daemon. In theory I imagine it could be packaged into some kind of PND file, but until someone figures out a secure way to make PND daemons, you'll have to manually start it every boot before playing anything that uses midi music.

WizardStan said:
DaveC said:
I think the problem is that timidity is a daemon. In theory I imagine it could be packaged into some kind of PND file, but until someone figures out a secure way to make PND daemons, you'll have to manually start it every boot before playing anything that uses midi music.
It doesn't have to be a pnd, I would just put all of the loose files into a directory in appdata called "timidity".

DaveC said:
It doesn't have to be a pnd, I would just put all of the loose files into a directory in appdata called "timidity".
I just suggested PND because that would make it easier to run the daemon, I think. You're right, it doesn't have to be, but you'd still be tasked with starting it every reboot.

WizardStan said:
One PND could always start another by doing a find and pnd_run in its start-up script.

I'm guessing that your concerns about security are to do with starting stuff as root. Most daemons only need root to open privileged ports (<1024) so as long as that's not a requirement there's no real problem.

Back