Dxx-Rebirth (1 And 2)

Pickle, this is such a great contribution. I remember buying that gigantic Descent game box, slowly sliding that beast out of there, installing it, and "preparing for descent" for ungodly amounts of time during each level load. By the time each level loaded, I was more than "prepared."

Way back then, my sister's boyfriend bought a copy too, and we called each other over our modems to play Descent. I now wonder if all three multi-player modes have survived the porting process. Will we be able to use the modem, null modem, and play over LAN/Internet features from the original game?

I actually rebought D1 and D2 on GoG a few weeks ago; I found my old D1 stuff, but couldn't find D2 CD .. and for $5 on GoG, who could argue? I do have my D3 CD, but I never thought it was as good as the earlier ones. (And never played Freespace 1/2, which was the same developers IIRC ... wouldn't a Freespace port rule? ;)

Woot :)

jeff

Freespace is an incredible space sim. Volition missed there calling with they stopped developing freespace games.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/descent-freespace-the-great-war

If you can not port it, I still recommend everyone that reads this to play it through once. The gameplay is so immersive that you really feel like you are fighting in space.

I also recommend you play this with a supported force feedback flightstick/gamepad.

Jason

skeezix said:
(And never played Freespace 1/2, which was the same developers IIRC ... wouldn't a Freespace port rule? ;)
I do quite like Freespace 2 (not played the first one), and the open engine for it. I've sort of held off on playing it too much because I think it would suit the Pandora and its nubs quite well, if a port shows up. :lol: (There are also several standalone games based on the engine, as well, including an interesting-looking Star Fox fan-game which isn't yet finished.)

[/mildly off-topic]

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Here it is :)
So it did happen :) Thanks

Would you please be kind enough to add a zenity dialog to say if the data files are not there ?
And please update your toolkit : 2007q3 start to be old no ?

Thanks again :)

Hehe, I remember playing Descent 1,2,3 using my trusty config (turning - ESDF / strafing - IJKL / pri wep - A / sec wep - ; / forward - H / back - N / afterburn - Space). :D

It's gonna be a bit tough to come up with a setup in Pandora. Maybe pri/sec wep in shoulders, turn/strafe in nubs, forward/back in dpad or ABXY buttons. I think it is OK to switch between strafe and forward/back controls, since those aren't used simultaneously much.

This is gonna be loads of fun. :D

sebt3 said:
Pickle said:
Here it is :)
So it did happen :) Thanks

Would you please be kind enough to add a zenity dialog to say if the data files are not there ?
And please update your toolkit : 2007q3 start to be old no ?

Thanks again :)

Tried 2010q1 and it seems to lock up in the gles driver.
I dont think a zenity message is really needed to tell you put 2 files in the data folder

I did find a couple typos when i was messing with the 2010 compiler, the transparent mode works better

Pickle,
This is awesome news. I, too, remember ungodly hours being lost to this game, and I look forward to losing a few more. Thanks for all your work on all of the ports and the info you share with the community!

Controls are changable in the game right? Nubs work? If its like the earlier non gles port, with 10 mins of setup it would be great

Ill try it tonight :)

Multiplayer... Pick a night guys ;)

Jeffphone

@skeezix

all controls work like the sw render version. Ive used the nub (mouse) but i find the dpad easy to control.

@wrath of khan

there are 2 file (pig ext) that go in the appdata folder under data, if you have run once you should see that data folder

Edit. and i will be putting out a new version tonight, ive gotten 2010q1 to run without lockups without any any opto flags including neon, neither feel like they help so no loss in not using them i think.
I sure would be nice if gcc and the imgtec driver could be a bit more stable, drives me nuts.

Edit 2:
the update is up, just awaiting approval
source is also updated
same links for both

This also has the fixes for the transparency effects, so try it out.

Nice one pickle! Just nabbed it (10pm Sat version, whichever it is), seems to run great; definately a huge improvement on the framerate to the gles instead of software :) (full speed at full res it looks like?)

Anyone have a good solid set of controls configured that they would like to share?

At first having left-nub on free-look inverted seemed goofy, so I inverted it back .. and that stunk; so having left-nub as freelook inverted (The default) seems wise. Right-nub as fire ... maybe not a bad idea, but not sure; I'm tempted to use dpad-buttons for move and fire -- Y for accel (forward) and X for back, with B for fire main weapon and A for alt weapon. Still, for rotation of the ship, and slid left/right .. not sure how to fit them in, in a way that woudl feel right.... could use the dpad or right-nub for slide and rotate, but would be awkward (ie: left/right on right-nub to rotate, and up/down to slide leftr/right? meh!)

Almost feels like we need a meta-key -- right-nub left/right being rotate, or with left-trigger, being slide.

Anyone got something that feels right, short of using the panda with a mouse ;)

jeff

skeezix said:
Anyone got something that feels right, short of using the panda with a mouse ;)

Ive been using the following
dpad : pitch controls
abxy : slide left/right accel for/rev
left shoulder fire prim
right shoulder fire sec
m map
space look rev
q and e are rotate (default i think)

pickle -- no nub being used eh? I'll try it out :) Get a few levels in... or developer style? (ie: only enough time after coding to try the first 30seconds ;)

jeff

Thanks Pickle for this port. I am a huge fan of the descent series.
But: There is too much input lag (both Buttons and Nubs) although the framerate is good enough in 800x480. The controls (especially the nubs) work 1000 times better and without lag in 320x240 display resolution. I'm using the mouse nub as pitch control.
I don't think its caused by the lower framerate in 800x480 because the original dos version had no lag when the framerate was low. Could you please have a look at this issue? Perhaps its just a small thingie in an event loop. I would commit a patch here if I had the coding skill. I looked a bit through the sources but its a mess. ;)

Edit: Besides that input lag, the game looks awesome at that high resolution with trilinear filtering!

hey Pickle, good job! but i still got one word for you: freespace

;p

Back