Drmd Version 4.1

Panorama Cotton has some problems that weren't there before - in particular, all of the objects now have vertical transparent bars going through them every two pixels or so. It actually was more playable in previous versions, for some reason.

Also, is it possible that some games run too slow while at the same time running with a good framerate? For example, although Mickey Mania runs at 30FPS or above, it runs about 1.5 times slower than it did in DrMD v1.0 (it's had the problem of running about 1.5 times slower on all the versions since that one). Could it be possible to add some kind of speed control for games, such as "run this game 40% faster" or something? Could make some games more fun, too. :)

Jaw posted on Oct 24 2005 at 11:22 PM said:
humm.. i've just figured something out. GP32 does not NEED 5.3 files i just bunged a load of non renamed roms on the machine, and dr md picked em up fine :) makes life much easier.

It is 8+3 not 5+3 and of yourse you can copy longer file names there, but the names will not appear correctly in most applications if at all. DrMD shows the names correctly because it picks the names from within the zip files, the rom names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn posted on Oct 25 2005 at 06:14 AM said:
Panorama Cotton has some problems that weren't there before - in particular, all of the objects now have vertical transparent bars going through them every two pixels or so. It actually was more playable in previous versions, for some reason.

Also, is it possible that some games run too slow while at the same time running with a good framerate? For example, although Mickey Mania runs at 30FPS or above, it runs about 1.5 times slower than it did in DrMD v1.0 (it's had the problem of running about 1.5 times slower on all the versions since that one). Could it be possible to add some kind of speed control for games, such as "run this game 40% faster" or something? Could make some games more fun, too. :)

In DrMD version 1.0 PAL mode was not emulated correctly, so PAL games ran at NTSC speeds. I think you can get the same results in DrMD version 4.1 by manually selecting the region you want. Just select USA 60fps and hopefully the game should run at NTSC speed.

Cool Super street fighter works nice, I was hoping that memory banking would fix a few of the massive roms.

Gosh, another update so quick!

Okay I have added 4.1 to the compatibility lists.

I wonder if the update will have Paperboy working? Will let you know :)

Hey, Fantastic Dizzy works! Great news! I don't know if that's in this version or if it was there in 3.0 as well (3.0 didn't work for me before, but I reformatted my SMC and now everything seems to work :blink:).

Jim Power now works, although it has horizontal lines of brown gibberish running across the whole screen except for the main character sprite.

Star Control is still missing the health bars and the things on the side, although you can play it. Star Control on the Genesis though is naturally 50% slower than on the PC because of a programming bug, so although it's better in other ways such as having more missions I'm not sure if I'd reccommend it. ;)

Rings of Power unfortunately still doesn't work. :( It works fine up until you load the main game screen to play, but then instead of seeing this...

ringsofpowergs5mc.gif

...you see a black spot where the landscape should be. So basically you see everything except what's in the playing square. I know that I'm moving because the N/S/E/W directions light up, but you can't actually see what I'm doing. Do you have any idea what might be causing that, Reesy?

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the tip about the 60FPS USA thing. :D Even though it's the wrong speed, it makes Mickey Mania more enjoyable for me for some reason. :ph34r:

Esn posted on Oct 25 2005 at 02:25 AM said:
Rings of Power unfortunately still doesn't work. :( It works fine up until you load the main game screen to play, but then instead of seeing this...
ringsofpowergs5mc.gif

...you see a black spot where the landscape should be. So basically you see everything except what's in the playing square. I know that I'm moving because the N/S/E/W directions light up, but you can't actually see what I'm doing. Do you have any idea what might be causing that, Reesy?

Ring of Power! I loved that game when I was young. I remember breaking out a window in the garage, and being grounded. I had just rented Rings of Power, so I sat down and played it for probably two days straight. Back on Topic a bit - didn't Rings of Power work on a previous version of drmd? (DoctorMedicalDoctor)

And if possible, could the next release of drmd be called DRMDPHD? Just joking on this - going with the doctor theme.

Esn posted on Oct 25 2005 at 03:25 AM said:
Star Control is still missing the health bars and the things on the side, although you can play it. Star Control on the Genesis though is naturally 50% slower than on the PC because of a programming bug, so although it's better in other ways such as having more missions I'm not sure if I'd reccommend it. ;)
Couldn't that be fixed by overclocking the genesis itself (not the emulator) as Epicenter had previously suggested? I don't think that it would be possible on the GP32 but maybe on the GP2X?

Oh, and awesome work Reesy :)

is there any chance of including the D button in future releases?

i realize a lot of arcade pads for genesis had 3 extra buttons ...

but even one extra button would mean all the moves in samurai shodown could be executed :lol:

again--great emu, thanks for it!

edit: ... never mind, i found in a faq that all moves are possible on a 3 button pad, dirr

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/genesis/fil...shodown_gen.txt

A series of weird things happened while I was playing Phantasy Star IV (which is working again, so thanks for that :)). First, my GP32 rebooted upon beating the final boss - which shouldn't have been a problem, since I made save states along the way.

However...

All the saves I made got wiped, and the slots I overwrote reverted to the way they were the previous time the power was turned on. The original save in slot 3 (which I had overwritten) moved to slot 4, and the most recent saves I made in slots 3 and 5 now appear as 0KB files. Plus, a 1616KB file "__rzi_02.344" appeared in the GPMM/GENESIS folder, taking up all but 16,384B of the empty space on the SMC.

Can anyone explain?

reaper79 posted on Oct 25 2005 at 01:27 PM said:
Ring of Power! I loved that game when I was young. I remember breaking out a window in the garage, and being grounded. I had just rented Rings of Power, so I sat down and played it for probably two days straight. Back on Topic a bit - didn't Rings of Power work on a previous version of drmd? (DoctorMedicalDoctor)

And if possible, could the next release of drmd be called DRMDPHD? Just joking on this - going with the doctor theme.
Well, it must've been either DrMD beta9 or v3.0 (if you're sure that it did - as I said, the intro works fine) - it didn't work on 1.0 or 2.0 and it doesn't work on this version.

Oh, and I'm glad that the sweet sound of v1.0 seems to be back. :) (although again, that might've already been there on beta9 or v3.0 - I haven't tried those)

EDIT: Come to think of it, I've had a problem with save states on Phantasy Star 4 as well - when I tried to load one, I got an image from Phantasy Star 3 (I played PS3 before on previous DrMD versions, but it wasn't on my SMC when this happened). :blink: So I click "ok", and it loads to a still image of where I saved in Phatasy Star 3. I couldn't move around or anything; it just froze.

Great work Reesy, sprite problems in Virtua Fighter 2 now fixed.

fishybawb posted on Oct 25 2005 at 06:42 AM said:
Any further discoveries with Jimmy White? That region thing is weird...

I was informed by PM (thanks to the person who PMed me - you know who you are) that if you get hold of one of the hacked versions of Jimmy White (H2 is the one you need) the gaem starts up. However in DrMD it's still screwed up, the view/AI doesn't work properly at all, so you can't play anyway.

Can anyone explain why Zany Golf defaults to the Select button to play the game. This is impossible with a blu as more than 3 seconds holding the select button turns off the light. I have tried configuring the keys and also the games asks for a key that you are going to use. This makes no difference once the game starts. Is there a way round this?

Zool still resets GP

Phantasy Star IV [!] weirdness continued: instant reboot at the title screen (it loops back after the ending sequence, preventing continuing from SRAM save and accessing the sound test).

Super Street Fighter II [c] [!]: freeze on starting a match in Time Challenge mode.

@tennisbox: try saving the config for the game only? A savestate made with the old config might be reloading the old settings, too...

Back