Driving Game

bluey

Still Fresh
Website
azulebanana.com
Does anyone think this would be nice on a GP2X?

It is currently made in a scripting language created by the author, and it is not Open Source. He wants to port it to C++, but doesn't feel like opening the code right now (and I don't know if in the future), but would like to make it run on other platforms (a Mac version has great demand).

Would there be interest enough to donate a GP2X to him to make the port?

PS: The demo runs perfectly with Wine for those like me, on Linux. ;)

Nice concept, although it does run like crap on my old AMD K6-2 @ 450mhz. Not a good sign. It probably uses D3D or GL.

He isn't, I know.

I've e-mailed him, and he is planning in making Win/Lin/Mac versions of the regular demo/game which he is porting to C++. He thinks that porting the game to a less powerful platform would be possible from a C++ version, which is nowhere finished. I've sent him another e-mail focusing in a possible GP2X port.

hmm id be intrested in a game like this (since im a GT junkie) hope theres a port (goes to look for a mac version)

also, plz bug the crap out of him till theres a port (since thers hardly any racing games on the gp2x (other than emulated games))

There's no Mac version yet either, I believe that's one of the reasons that made him think of a port to C++.

The style of the demo is pretty cool, if he took the time to write a scripting language to make games with that engine, would make it very flexible. He already has various scenes (I believe they're already implemented in the C++ version, check the screencast), one could choose the scene, add intersections, cars and trucks, create own cars, script missions, etc. But this is just me dreaming about these possibilities... :rolleyes:

Cheers

A bit back i remember suggesting a remake of TranzAm and i still think it's quite a good idea.

Might be one for trying to do as a multiplayer game as well with other users taking the place of the AI-driven simpletons.

One for the melting pot i suppose.

A port would never work anyway, as - according to his FAQ - it's pretty CPU intensive. I can run it pretty darn well on my Athlon 64 3200+, but that's not exactly comparable. ^_^

That being said, you could probably make something similar that would work well. All you need is simple 3D models with no lighting and two colours "on" and "off". You wouldn't even need textures, as you could simply assign colour to whole polygons instead. I would guess that even a modified version of the Quake engine could pull this off with relative ease. Or am I wrong?

I don't care much about graphics on racing games, as long as the physics simulation is good (not necessarily realistic, but a decent blend of realism-playability - the Gran Turismo series manages that very well for me). I think this is the hardest part to get done right. Hence I think the non-texture racer would be very enjoyable as long as the physics didn't suck major balls. I have no idea when it comes to ways of implementing it though.

Back