Dreamcast

I don't know the technical reason for it, but some of those image files are over 700MB. BUT when you burn them, they take up less space on the disc (more specifically, less than 700).

Pretty sure the 800MB discs are unnecessary.

shinneri posted on Apr 17 2006 at 11:41 AM said:
I don't know the technical reason for it, but some of those image files are over 700MB. BUT when you burn them, they take up less space on the disc (more specifically, less than 700).

Pretty sure the 800MB discs are unnecessary.

Yes they usually are unnecessary.

The reason they are over 700 MB yet burn on 700 MB disks has to do with CD image storage and MODE2 burning. MODE2 is a format that because the files have their own error correction (movie/audio etc.). The data that was originally being used to make sure the disk is much more readable (error correction etc.) is now being used for data as well, so in the end you get more data capacity. Also, the CD image has to make sure the burner has all the information it will ever need about how to burn the disk.

Interesting article I found on google here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Radio posted on Apr 17 2006 at 02:26 PM said:
Question: I've have a couple of aquired games that I want to burn to CD-Rs but they are bigger than 700mb so I bought some 800mb CD-Rs and I'm using Nero 5. My cd drive apparantly is capable of overburning and I changed the settings in Nero to enable overburning but Nero isn't recognising the disk properly and thinks it only has 96mb of data free even though the disk is brand new.
Any pointers anyone?
Don´t use Nero. Even if you manage to burn the images, the DC will most probably not recognize them. Use DiscJuggler or something...

nickspoon posted on Apr 18 2006 at 10:57 AM said:
Use Alcohol 120%. It is the most amazing disc burner software EVAR.

Yeah, can't beat alcohol for Dreamcast games *stares at 200 disc high spindle of awesomeness*

Just bought one off ebay. So, now it's time to get Alcohol 120%, yes....?

make sure you get a RGB cable ;)
lubidog posted on Apr 21 2006 at 12:21 AM said:

wolly wotsit posted on Apr 24 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
Hmm, Looks interesting.There is a copy I can buy, but is japanese, any option to select language?
No. You'll have to find a US version (was it released in Europe?). The game's almost entirely dialogue, so two languages probably wouldn't have fit on the disc.

Ebay has it lots of the time. Just be sure it comes with the microphone.

Shenmue 1 & 2 are the most atmospheric games ever. I love it when it turns to Christmas on Shenmue 1, and the coloured lights go up in the street, and the snow falls.. ahhh!

Try Tokyo Bus Driver too. Google an English gameguide.

shinneri posted on Apr 25 2006 at 05:00 AM said:
Hmm, Looks interesting.There is a copy I can buy, but is japanese, any option to select language?
No. You'll have to find a US version (was it released in Europe?). The game's almost entirely dialogue, so two languages probably wouldn't have fit on the disc.

Hmm, sounds like i need to work on my yank accent.

Nova posted on Apr 25 2006 at 03:52 PM said:
shinneri posted on Apr 25 2006 at 05:00 AM said:

Hmm, sounds like i need to work on my yank accent.

The voice recognition is fairly poor if you are not American. I remember a bit near the beginning when it asks you which month your birthday is in. I would say "September" and the Seaman would say back "You were born in May. Is this correct?". I would say Seaman is an interesting interactive screensaver but it is quite a relief when he dies (I went away for a weekend and when I came back he was dead).

lubidog posted on Apr 21 2006 at 12:21 AM said:

Buy a 100 pack of CDR's, get a decent torrent client* and prepare yourself for the greatest gaming experience** of all time.

*Twimfy and friends do not support piracy

**IMHO

Back