Getting A Dreamcast

Radio

Website
Visit site
I've bought a Dreamcast from eBay and it won't get here for a few days yet but I thought I'd ask here what you would recommend I try out first as I know a lot of you own one of these. Emus, homebrew and of course any favourite official games that I should shop around for.

I don't do the emu since i see no point since I have a GP32 and a PC that can do everything better. But the Beats of Rage games and mods are good. I'd recommend for commercial games, Marvel vs. Capcom, Shenmue, and Resident Evil Code Veronica.

Also, Phantasy Star Online is fun but I don't think you can play it online anymore.

KickinWing posted on Apr 27 2005 at 07:27 PM said:
I don't do the emu since i see no point since I have a GP32 and a PC that can do everything better. But the Beats of Rage games and mods are good. I'd recommend for commercial games, Marvel vs. Capcom, Shenmue, and Resident Evil Code Veronica.

Also, Phantasy Star Online is fun but I don't think you can play it online anymore.

soul calibur is a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can. Both versions of Phantasy Star Online can be played on a private server that's very, very good.

If you can get yourself a copy of the Utopia Boot CD (easily downloadable), then look into buying some of the post-2002 releases. Ikaruga is fantastic, along with Border Down, and the newly released Trizeal. All worthy purchases.

Rez is a must buy. It's absolutely FANTASTIC. Good luck finding it though.

Headhunter is pretty good aswell, I had a lot of fun with that.

(Edit: Shit, I missed out Soul Calibur. Post above)

----

Emulators rock on it. Neogeo CD emulation is BEAUTIFUL, as is Atari ST emulation (DCastaway). I would highly recommended trying those two out first.

DCGnuBoy (Gameboy Color), NesterDC (NES) and SMEG (Master System) are all excellent emulators. DreamSNES is great for some games but a bit slow for others. DC Quake is great but RadQuake may be better though, but I haven't tried it myself.

Out of official games try (other than those already mentioned):
Shenmue 2 (RPG with Virtua Fighter elements. Shenmue 1 is good too, but slower paced and with less fights and is a lot smaller)
MSR (Gran Turismo style racing game with variety of events)
Mr Driller (Great arcade puzzler)
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (better than N64 version as less fuzzy graphics, so you can see what is coming up)
Wacky Racers (Mario Kart style game better than Ps2 version)
Soldier Of Fortune (Great FPS)

I recommend: get Sega Marine Fishing along with the fishing rod controller and House Of The Dead 2 and/or Confidential Mission with one or two (for multiplayer fun) lightgun(s).

These games/controllers are why I love my DC :D

Lots of good stuff here for me to get my teeth into. :)

Rez £42.50 on Buy it now. :blink: Might have to wait a bit for that one.

I recommend: get Sega Marine Fishing along with the fishing rod controller and House Of The Dead 2 and/or Confidential Mission with one or two (for multiplayer fun) lightgun(s).
Are the fishing games any good then? They always seemed like an odd theme for a video game to me.

They are really really cool for a little gaming round with friends. But I recommend you not getting Sega Bass Fishing, that one is too lame, get Marine Fishing (more fish, nicer levels, more action)

dug out SC today, glad i did, its fantastic. you gotta go for that one.

Bangai-o (awsome game), crazy taxi, soul calliber, marvel vs. capcom (first one), jet set radio is great, sonic one is ok, tony hawk, quake III arena, Resident evil: code Veronica, rayman 2, and test drive: le mans (by far the best dc racinig game).

Oh man, Dreamcast is by far the greatest console of all time (IMO, of course).

-Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (I prefer 2)
-Grandia 2 (favorite traditional RPG... ever.)
-Skies of Arcadia (can get frustrating, but once you get into it it's an amazing RPG)
-House of the Dead (buy a lightgun)
-Propeller Arena (Gonna have to search for this one *COUGHBITTORRENTCOUGH*)
-Half-Life (^^^^^^^^)
-Resident Evil: Code Veronica
-Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
-Floigan Brother (very short, but entertaining while it lasts)
-Super Magnetic Neo (quirky Japanese title)
-Samba de Amigo
-Jet Grind Radio (though I like JSRF better..)
-Headhunters (PAL only--Buy a DC-X to play it on NTSC)

There are more, but that's enough...

oh yeah..

SHENMUE!!(Naturally I'm referring to both games in the series ;) )

Space Channel 5 is good if you like dancing style games. Or try to get hold of SC5 part 2... if you can...

Other must have games are:

SHENMUE 1&2
Crazy Taxi
Powerstone
Sonic Adventure (but not SA2)
Metropolis Street Racer
Rez
Jet Grind Radio
Phantasy Star Online
Marvel vs Capcom

And if you can find it, grab a copy of Half Life (time to go searching again.... COUGHHACK*BITTORRENT*HACKCOUGH)

PowerStone 2
Marvel vs Capcom
Soul Calibur
House of the Dead 2
Confidential Mission
International Track anf Field
Ikaruga
Jet Set Radio
Shenmue 1 & 2
Rez
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Street Fighter 3