Dreamcast Stuff

pubjoe

Website
Visit site
Just got a dreamcast from gamestation (£25 plus £9 for SF3 3rd Strike - I know B) ). ...I just had to trade in Mariokart DD, Pikmin & Silent Hill 2 :)

I was just wondering as quite a few people here have dreamcasts, are there any good forums or sites anywhere near these standards.

Oh, and are there any homebrew games that I can't miss. Apart from Giana Sisters of course.

Sorry if I don't reply for a bit but I'm moving house at the moment. :angry:

It aint a forum or a homebrew, but I had about 30 or so games for dc (only three bootlegs!) :) . Anyway, try to aquire a copy of Bangai-o. Great (and wierd) Treasure game.

I liked Bangai-O too, but I did get fed up with the controls as it is not easy to use the stick and d-pad at the same time on the Dreamcast. The game was originally a N64 game so it must have been designed with the N64 pad in mind.

Anyway, for Dreamcast emulation I recommend you try out:
Nester DC - Pretty much full speed NES emulator
DCGnuBoy - A fantastic Gameboy emulator, the graphics look better than they do on the Gamecube Gameboy player
SMEG - Full speed Master System emulation but no saves. I think the new SMSPlus may be better these days and have sound but I haven't tried it yet.
ZX-Ishpectrum - Perfect spectrum emulation but no keyboard support or saves

DreamSNES is a pretty good SNES emulator but most games are not full speed.

There are some great MAME things around but it all gets a bit confusing as there are so many of them. Some games run perfectly, and some are not so good.

Thanks for all the advice.

DCemulation seems by far the best site. And the forums are really informative to, if a little sarcastic.

It just occured to me while looking at some IRC channels that the combination of a dreamcast and broadband gives you the best fun possible with two hands. ...almost.

...Mind you you can pick up all the games for £1-£5/10 :)

Just played Ikaruga for the first time and can finally see what all the fuss is about.

Tried Beats of Rage which is pretty good, but to be honest I wasn't much of a Streets of Rage fan in the first place. I can remember when Double Dragon came out and since then I've found most sidescrollers very similar.

...It would be cool if they could bring in more moves from KOF though, Ive always wanted to play a SS Beat-em-up with a more in-depth fighting system.

I've got a bit of free time today so I'm gonna try Giana sisters and some emulators.

Nice to see that so much is still in development for Dreamcast I can't believe I've been missing out until now coz they've been dirt cheap for a while now.

The only slightly disapointing thing is that snes emulation is having problems (though it doesn't really matter with all the other great stuff), I suppose I'd need an Xbox for that kind of thing.

P.S Dr34M(a2t R0xZ0rs!!!!!! (instant convert).

theres a genesis\megadrive emu for dreamcast thats virtualy perfect on most games.its a hacked version of sega smash pack well worth it if you can find it.

Is it true that you dont need a modchip to play homebrew games on a DC? I just heard this but i could have sworn that I saw a modchip for sale once for a DC

Nah DC games can be made to self boot... there are also boot disks for those that dont :/

theres a genesis\megadrive emu for dreamcast thats virtualy perfect on most games.its a hacked version of sega smash pack well worth it if you can find it.
Its called SegaGen and apparently the sound is abit crappy, roms have to be in .bin format and the loader is hard to use. :/
If you request this in a DC forum you wont get a reply cause its a hack so its abit taboo :/

IIRC from a few days ago R+L should do the trick, Hando. ;) And there are quite a few R+... key-combos that give you access to various options.

Back