Dream Coding Grand Prix 2004

wraggster

Certified Guru
Website
www.dcemu.co.uk
Its my honour to officially announce the <a href="http://www.dcemu.co.uk/dcgp.shtml" target="_blank" >Dream Coding Grand Prix 2004</a> Coding Competition.

The Competition is a joint competition for the Dreamcast and Gamepark 32 Scenes with <a href="http://www.dcemu.co.uk" target="_blank" >DCEmu UK</a> & <a href="http://www.gp32x.de" target="_blank" >GP32 Xtreme</a> being the hosts and <a href="http://www.liksang.com/" target="_blank" >Lik Sang</a> are the sponsors of this competition.

<b>Competition Details</B>

The first Dream Coding Grand Prix will be a multi-tiered contest. The competitions are as follows.

<b>Childrens Game/Learning Contest</b>

This is the main competition, the basic goal of this contest is to produce Games, tools apps etc that can be used as a learning device/ educational tool for children. There will be a First, Second and Third Prize for this Contest.

<b>Beats of Rage Mod Contest</b>

This is the secondary competition, the goal of this competition is to produce excellent Beats of Rage mods to be used primarily on the Dreamcast and Gamepark 32 but also on systems like the Playstation 2 and Tapwave Zodiac. There will be a first and second prize for this contest.

<b>Minor/Special Awards</B>

In addition to the two main competitions we also have four minor awards,

Most Original Release
Best Work from a Newcomer
Best Artwork in a game
Best CD Cover/BoxArt for Game

The four minor awards apply to both competitions above, so for example if you make a Beats of Rage Mod and someone else makes a CD Cover/Box Art for it they can win the special award.

<b>Main Prize</b>

The winner of the main competition will win

Neo Geo Pocket Color w/ 6 games
Feet of Fury for DC
Soul Calibur for DC
DC Mini Twin Joysticks
Sonic Fan Pack
GP32 Mug

<b>Time for Comp</b>

The contest will run from September 30th, 2004 to December 30th, 2004.
The contest will end at midnight, GMT, (the beginning of December 30th, 2004).

Full details on this competition can be found on the <a href="http://www.dcemu.co.uk/dcgp.shtml" target="_blank" >Dream Coding Grand Prix 2004</a> Page.

All questions and entries should be directed to the <a href="http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=DCGP2004" target="_blank" >Dream Coding Grand Prix 2004 Official Forum</a>.

Let the coding Begin :)

* Hando might want to post this himself and maybe create a forum on GP32X for discussion/submissions to this comp. So some links might want changing ie the official forum for GP32 Entries :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This wouldve looked nicer without all the tags and such. :) Anyways nice to know another competition is coming up.

www.gp32z.com

Childrens Game/Learning Contest
I like :)

I got my DC earlier this year with the intention of coding for it but never found the time. Then recently I found out I'm going to become a daddy next year, and I suddenly realised that the gp32 is far too small for a baby but the DC's arcade stick is perfect for crawling up to and hitting :). Now, whats the best dev environment for DC these days? (last time I looked was 6 months ago, have there been any major updates since then?)

hmm, could ya add one more " general " sector please
not trying to sound rude, but I just would like to see something other than leap-pad, jumpstart, and mor BOR stuff

~Octavious

Octavious posted on Oct 1 2004 at 12:03 AM said:
hmm at could ya add one more " general " sector please
not trying to sound rude, but I just would like to see something other than leap-pad, jumpstart, and mor BOR stuff

~Octavious

See, it's not always about "let's get the community new games", sometimes it's about other things. And to be honest, this topic is very challenging on a whole new level for the developers.

well if i hade coding skill or if i wasnt to lavy to learn to code or make a game i would try probably not win anything but i would try

It seems that the prizes are a bit light on the GP32 side of things, many DC related stuff though. A neo pocket? Why not a GP32 BLU? That would be nice for a DC owner that doesn't have one and may even encourage a port of a DC program, or at least a taste of the "other" scene.

Well a Compo is good anyway.

It's most likely because the two communities are pretty tight, and I'm guessing most of us here own Dreamcast's for the homebrew just as much as they own GP32's ;)

Perhaps a typing of the dead style scenerio teaching kids to spell words with the chatboard could be entered?

That would be nice :)

This looks interesting :). Should provide a different challenge for coders anyway, give kids an excuse for their parents to get them a dc/gp as well :p.

mattmagoo posted on Oct 2 2004 at 03:07 PM said:
what if a BOR mod has edited sprites from real games?

Hi i'm a admin over at dcemu, just had a wee look at your forums to see how much interest there is in he contest.

to answer your question
Competition Rules

General Rules

The contest will run from September 30th, 2004 to December 30th, 2004.

The contest will end at midnight, GMT, (the beginning of December 30th, 2004).

Submissions for the Main & Beats Of Rage Contest must be in a CD Image for the Dreamcast or a Binary for the Gamepark 32 and submitted with information detailing what the submission is and with 125x125 screenshots.

If webspace is needed for hosting, please ask in either GP32 Xtreme or DCEmu UK Forums.

The entry can be a port of any open-source educational tool or game, or it can be an original creation.

The entry cannot contain any copyrighted elements without express written permission of the copyright holder (images, sounds, music, etc.)

The entries will be judged by TBA

Multiple entries are allowed although only the best entry will win prizes.

Entries must be freeware so that when tournament ends they can be distributed.

i plan to make a bor mod with original artwork in it, but i'm like yourself, bit lazy ;)

Back