Draw On Any Screen.

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Not sure if any of you have come across this before:

Linky link

I just built an infrared pen, and it really works! I have been drawing on my laptop screen and tomorrow we're going to try it in one of our lecture theatres on a projected screen.

Great Fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is pretty fantastic. A £40 controller doing roughly the same job as a £1000 interactive whiteboard? I think someone needs to price more realistically.

Wowzers! Someone make me an IR pen! :D

This looks fantastic. I've seen more videos by Johnny Lee in the past, he's a very intelligent and innovative person :)

nickspoon said:
That is pretty fantastic. A £40 controller doing roughly the same job as a £1000 interactive whiteboard? I think someone needs to price more realistically.
I think you mean a £40 controller and a £500 laptop and a £200 projector.

LHC said:
nickspoon said:

Surely if you wanted to do this you already have the £500 laptop and £200 projector? And by the way, you can do this with just the laptop as that's what I did earlier this afternoon, you don't need a projector :).

LHC said:
The projector yes, but you need the laptop for the interactive whiteboard anyway. Depending on the type of whiteboard you get you may also need to buy a projector separately.

Just to add, the Wii controller doesn't have a very high resolution at close range, it will be interesting to see how my tests fare on a big screen tomorrow.

I will let you know how it all goes.

Admittedly it is still far cheaper than a whiteboard. I was just pointing out that it is mighty expensive.

Oh and turning your laptop into a touchscreen is a pointless waste of time, because using a mouse is far better.

His head tracking experiment is more interesting ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw ) but my laptop can sometimes be a bit choosy about connecting to wiimotes so I've not seen it in action for real yet.

woogal said:
His head tracking experiment is more interesting ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw ) but my laptop can sometimes be a bit choosy about connecting to wiimotes so I've not seen it in action for real yet.

Oh my freeking god, I have got to try that! That has got to be my next project!

woogal said:

Awesome. Too bad this will probably never be used in any PC game. But on the Wii, The publisher could just sell the glasses seperately for about 10€ so anyone with a second Wiimote could experience this cool 3D effect.

EDIT: Oh wow, its on Penny Arcade now too!

Well I just built the a head tracking unit out of a £1.50p pair of sunglasses, 2 LED keychain torches (99p for them both) and a I swapped the LEDs for infrared ones.
After downloading his software it crashed, and I figured out I have to get a different version of DirectX SDK. So I downloaded that, it worked perfectly! I must say this really is awesome. It does exactly as shown in his Youtube video.

One thing I have noticed though, the bigger the screen the better the effect because of the viewing angle of the Wiimote. So if you have a bigger screen, you would be standing further back and you won't be out of the wiimotes viewing range.

Tomorrow I hope to try it in a lecture theater on a huge projector screen :). I will let you know how it goes.

After watching that video on Youtube that Woogal provided a link to, I was thinking.... Wouldn't Metroid Prime 3 have been so much cooler if they had done that? Wonder if they will actually start incorporating it into games because that would be cool. The stadium thing freaked me out a bit at first then I realised how he was doing it.

Ganepark32 said:
After watching that video on Youtube that Woogal provided a link to, I was thinking.... Wouldn't Metroid Prime 3 have been so much cooler if they had done that? Wonder if they will actually start incorporating it into games because that would be cool. The stadium thing freaked me out a bit at first then I realised how he was doing it.
I have a games developer sitting on my doorstep (Broadsword Interactive), literally half a mile from where I work and I know the guy who runs it, so I'm going to email him. They definitely should look into developing something with it.

namco said:

Tomorrow I hope to try it in a lecture theater on a huge projector screen
Youtube?

I'd love to see a bigger version of Johnny Lee's work.

You gotta be joking hate getting filmed. But seriously, If I can find someone willing to have a camera pointed at them, I will film it :).

Back