Dr.md Help

G

Goemon4

ok i was jus loading up umk3 & mk3 (ultimate mortal kombat 3 & mortal kombat 3) and i noticed a lack of moves...or should i say buttons...why do i say this because i checked some where and it said this was the button config for umk3....
• D Pad (any direction) highlight selection/option, move character in desired direction
• A/C Button Low punch/kick
• B Button Run
• X/Z Button High punch/kick
• Y Button Block
• L Button Block
• R Button Run

is this right? if so how can i play it on dr.md (or on opensnes)

You know that a Genesis pad only has 3 buttons?
In Street Fighter 2 you have to switch between punches and kicks by pressing start, don`t know how they handled it with MK3...

yeah i jus realized that...ill try it...but jus incase...can anyone tell me the controls?(cuz not being able to uppercut is getting to me)

megadrive had a 6 button pad launched specifically to play the likes of SFII CE & Ex-Ranza, it was also bundled with the systems 1993 onwards

Yeah it's more of an issue of drmd not emulating these buttons so you can't really play those games.

it can be played but not properly because i cant do certian things while fighting :(

then how? (or was the genisis version jus cut down compared to the snes version?)

I had wanted to ask the same question for a very long time. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat would definitely benefit from having a 6 button configuration.

You are right Craig, you can play it with a 3 button controller but it sucks. Having to press start to change from punches to kicks in SFII is really annoying.

Even if you go to control settings you cannot change the button configuration to use the extra buttons. If you count SELECT on the GP32, we would have 5 buttons available for use. A, B, L, R and select. That would be more than enough for a nice configuration for fighting games, but the problem is that Dr. MD does not emulate the 6 button controller so we are limited to playing on the GP32 as though it only had 3 buttons available when in fact it has more.

It would be good if Dr. MD would emulate a 6-button pad, and we could be allowed to configure what each of the GP32 buttons would do.

the six button config would be nice to have because in mk3 you cant change punches to kicks by pressing start (its used for run!!!!) so it would be a nice add on mabey in later versions of dr.md.....

I was a big MK fan back in the day and if I remember correctly, MK3 sort of forced you to use all 6 buttons. The first MK used start not to switch buttons but to block, if I remember correctly it was Street Fighter 2 where start swapped punches for kicks.

So starting with MK2, which in 1994 came at a time when everyone had the now-old 6 button controllers, I'm pretty sure it was just expected of the player. If not, it was definitely that way by Mortal Kombat 3 and especially UMK3. The latter came out in 1996, at the end of the Genesis' life, and used not 5 buttons like MK1 and 2 but all 6 with the Run button addition. By now the Nomad (handheld Genesis) had come out and also was built with 6 buttons.

In other words, unfortunately, this was one of the most button-demanding (and button combination-demanding) games to ever come out for the genesis, so by then it was sort of expected of people to have the 6 button controller. The game couldn't possibly be modified to only use 3 buttons, similar to the problem you're encountering now.

My advice would be to just remap the buttons in the game's config menu (there SHOULD be one). The GP32 does have 6 buttons, which I use comfortably for MK1 and 2 but haven't tried 3 or up (because START would have to be used for something, which is weird). My config is to use A for high punch, B for low kick, R for high kick, L for block, and select for low punch. With this I can capably play MK1 and 2 (for snes) but like I said i Haven't tried 3 or UMK3 yet because it's a lot faster than the other three games and uses an extra button. These two things combined seems like it would make the game pretty darn hard to play!

But good luck, I know what it's like to wanna get your MK fix.

EDIT: I realize that since I've been playing MK on opensnes, not drmd, the shoulder buttons and so forth may not even be available for drmd (which would correlate with what others were saying about drmd not supporting those buttons). If that's the case, then you may be screwed. I didn't know that drmd may not support those buttons at all, I do think that SHOULD be added myself.

it dosent sadly...but if i ever get a new smc card ill deffinatly try opensnes....

MK1, 3, and Ultimate have boith 3 and 6 button support, however DrMD reports the emulated controller as a 6 button, while only giving the option to assign 3.

In street fighter 2 turbo on MD you can map the moves to any button. I have A & B as Hard punch and Hard kick and I have select as light punch for those slow fire balls!

Its a shame as you cannot remap the butons that way in Special champ edition.

As for UMK3 I play it in Opensnez, runs well at 180mhz :)

Back