Downloading?


linc186

Still Fresh
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
79
Hello, I'm curious of something. On my pandora can I go on firefox, then onto the file archive, download any emulator.. Let's say nes and then goto a website like doperoms to download roms for it, and then run it? In a short summory, can i download something from the file archive and then something like a rom directly from my pandora, without plugging it into a computer?
 

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Messages
29,596
Age
43
Location
Ingolstadt
linc186 said:
Hello, I'm curious of something. On my pandora can I go on firefox, then onto the file archive, download any emulator.. Let's say nes and then goto a website like doperoms to download roms for it, and then run it? In a short summory, can i download something from the file archive and then something like a rom directly from my pandora, without plugging it into a computer?
Yes.
 
Last edited:

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
6,093
Age
30
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
Theoretically it's possible, but not officially supported by us.
 

TitanUranus

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
756
Location
UK
Doperoms, did you say doperoms? I don't think you can say doperoms on here it's terribly naughty and we wouldn't want people using a service like doperoms. Doperoms is after all a bad place where unscroupulous people go to get bad things. Don't look at it people, your soul will turn black and you will burn in the fiery flames of eternal hell and damnation....

EDIT: Oh, look forward to seeing you who ignore my warning in eternal hell, lets have a Pandora party when we get there. Assuming I get my Pandora before the big freeze we're expecting down here.
 

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
3,503
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
linc186 said:
can i download something from the file archive and then something like a rom directly from my pandora, without plugging it into a computer?
Yes. Unlike the iDevices, the Pandora runs a full operating system, so you can easily download a program and then run it.
As far as I have heard, you don't need a desktop to help the Pandora do anything, though it can do some things faster or easier, like development.
It's the future of things-we've-been-doing-for-decades-until-Apple-fucked-them-up.

Edit: Well, I don't really mind the fact that Apple has messed something up, because I don't endure ownership of any of their devices, but it's the fact that they're big, and so when they mess up, everyone assumes that's the state of the industry. Luckily, most PCs are still running more useful OSes than iOS.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

#1 GameMaster

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
377
Age
30
Location
Columbus,OH
Website
Visit site
lulzfish said:
linc186 said:
can i download something from the file archive and then something like a rom directly from my pandora, without plugging it into a computer?
Yes. Unlike the iDevices, the Pandora runs a full operating system, so you can easily download a program and then run it.
As far as I have heard, you don't need a desktop to help the Pandora do anything, though it can do some things faster or easier, like development.
It's the future of things-we've-been-doing-for-decades-until-Apple-fucked-them-up.
Yes, and that is the thing that I absolutely love about The Pandora :D , becuase unlike my PSP I would just be able to download the stuff onto it instead of connecting it to my computer every time I want to add something which gets old fast. <_<
 
Last edited by a moderator:

greendots

Its finally here!
Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Messages
610
Can some one get this guy to stop spamming the boards? 11 of his 27 posts are new topics...
 

Prometheus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
9,475
Well, *I'm* not going to, because he isn't spamming or doing anything against the rules.
 

darkblu

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2008
Messages
640
lulzfish said:
Yes. Unlike the iDevices, the Pandora runs a full operating system, so you can easily download a program and then run it.
erm, i know it's fashionable to bash on the idevices but that's just funny. if one took it at face value, they'd conclude that:

a. the idevices have something less than a full operating system, and
b. they can't easily download and run applications with no pc involved

my cellphone from 2007 can download and run applications autonomously. heck, even the dsi can do it, and that one indeed does not have a full os. so let's not get carried away, lest somebody casually reading this forum would get the wrong impression of this place.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

paulguy

Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
414
Age
31
Location
Buffalo, NY
Website
paulguy.co.uk
Remember the guy who asked if it could multitask? it's sickening that simple things like that have become a seeming impossibility because iphones haven't been able to do it (With stock OS.) until very recently, even though portables have had multitasking for ages, well before iphones existed.
 

mali

-
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
6,543
Age
44
Location
EU
Website
Visit site
#1 GameMaster said:
Yes, and that is the thing that I absolutely love about The Pandora :D
Definitely :)
I _hate_ it if I have to fire up another device to properly use my handheld. Pandora is a great stand-alone computer and even a back-up solution in certain situations when a full PC is out of reach/broken.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
3,503
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
darkblu said:
lulzfish said:
Yes. Unlike the iDevices, the Pandora runs a full operating system, so you can easily download a program and then run it.
erm, i know it's fashionable to bash on the idevices but that's just funny. if one took it at face value, they'd conclude that:

a. the idevices have something less than a full operating system, and
b. they can't easily download and run applications with no pc involved

my cellphone from 2007 can download and run applications autonomously. heck, even the dsi can do it, and that one indeed does not have a full os. so let's not get carried away, lest somebody casually reading this forum would get the wrong impression of this place.
Yeah, I wasn't very specific.
In case anyone has never used one of the iDevices (iPod Touch, iPhone *), I can't blame you, here's a summary from my experience in playing with my friend's iPhone:
* iPhone OS is actually a full multitasking OS, but locked-down to prevent the user from doing things with it that might be illegal, like pirating software, or might not be, like developing software, having a window manager, or using an interpreted language. (To be even more specific, I think it's illegal for an application to expose any kind of code interpreter to the user... wonder if Brainfuck could be made into a game to skirt this rule?)
* And it can download applications, but only from Apple's repositories or from a desktop PC that, I suspect, has all the proper developer stuff installed and paid for. (Apparently you have to pay to be an Apple developer, so much for programming my friend's iPhone to do silly tricks)

And whoever's casually reading this, be aware that I totally hate the iDevices, but my point is that it's inconveniencing us, the community of an unrelated device, by convincing people that standard operating system features are completely new and foreign on mobile devices, because cell phones are expected to be like cars or refrigerators, totally reliable in the sense that a user can't even risk running their own code lest they should lock up the device and blame its manufacturer.

It's a thing that bothers me a lot, but it's not really the fault of the people asking questions either, because they haven't heard any better.

So I'm glad you're at least asking, because now we can give you a good answer: All modern cell phones multitask, even my Motorola W259. (Numeric keypad, flip-open chassis, no touchscreen, limited voice and SMS plan, you know what I mean: CHEAP) It did today, I saw it, it was pretty amazing. They can always download their own executables. Mine doesn't, because I'm sure Motorola has nothing worth downloading, much less paying for. The manufacturers just want your money in as safe a way as possible, so they don't let you run unscreened applications, because you might break something and yell at them.

You might break the Pandora by downloading and running something, it might even be a virus, but freedom means you're taking that into your own hands. If you mess up, we'll help. The Pandora doesn't have to stay on the road at 80 miles per hours like a car or make emergency calls like a cell phone, you're not going to endanger anyone by having fun with it.

This is a wall of text clarifying a lot of my thoughts. I was supposed to start a web journal tonight, but this has taken a while, and I'd hate to write something that will mostly read by people who just want to read something bitching about Apple.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top