Doubletwist Media Manager Application

Shirohagen

Brutal Deluxe
Website
richardho.lt
Here's an interesting media manager application which seems well put together and is open to new devices. It's basically iTunes for non-iPods.

I thought it might play nice with the Pandora...

http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

It's for Mac or PC, I wonder if it could software/ROMs/apps etc too...

®

Song Bird is another player in the iTuneish category. It's open source so I think it's more probable pandora will sync with that one

the only way for it to work on the pandora would be for them to make it as is not opensouce

if your saying running it on a pc and syncing it that way then this should work as it work with so may devices, and I would think that means that it can just put files (like music or videos) just like you would with drag and drop

I was meaning that the app would reside on our computers, Mac or PC, and have all our files/music/games in it, and sync with the Pandora like iTunes, not actually be running on the Pandora itself. Not sure why you'd run something like that natively on the Pandora (to sync to itself?) that would feel more like a file manager or media browser for what's already on there - of which there are a few in development already.

No, I meant this to keep music, movies, games or emulation collections organised on the computer, and sync the desired ones to the Pandora easily. Especially if the media collections are larger than the Pandora's loaded SD card(s)...

Song Bird looks nice but it's a music player, DoubleTwist is a media manager too and the site says they're relatively open and happy to support any devices. Not sure if it has the ability to work with miscellaneous file types, if so it could manage software and files too...

®

If the Pandora gets a mtp daemon it can be used with any media program that supports mtp transfers and syncing.

...Or it can just remain like it is: it'll show up as an USB drive when you insert it into your computer, and then all media players in the world may do as they wish (because all media players can sync to an USB drive with the right metadata).

i want only a cmd line player and a directory tree full of all my music. i dont need integration.

Hey, I'm sure someone will eventually make a nice Pandora file manager with a simple GUI.
Of course, you could just copy the files over manually, but I really like central management (ID3 tags and rom screenshots in a Pandora manager would be absolute heaven!)

fearofshorts said:
Hey, I'm sure someone will eventually make a nice Pandora file manager with a simple GUI.
Of course, you could just copy the files over manually, but I really like central management (ID3 tags and rom screenshots in a Pandora manager would be absolute heaven!)

Thunar is a "nice file manager with a simple GUI." It is the default XFCE file mangager and therefore should be part of the default firmware image. I don't really like GUI file managers myself, but Thunar is probably my favorite of all of them. It already supports displaying ID3 tags (as well as custom icons for many other common file types, such as video and image thumbnails.) Thunar even includes an extensions framework (the aptly named Thunar Extensions Framework.)

ROM screenshots could be difficult as the ROM files don't actually INCLUDE a screenshot within the file, however I suppose a "thumbnailer" daemon (similar to what is used for video clips) could be written to auto-screenshot ROMS. If .pnd files include an icon/screenshot (I assume that they do, so that .desktop files can be created,) then they can easily be given custom icons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back