DOTA?

Norfen

Still Fresh
I'm a huge DOTA fan, and I'd love to be able to play DOTA or a variant on my pandora. I know its not ideal, but I think it'd be cool. Can anyone point me to an ARM DOTA game? I googled HoN because it works with linux, but all I found was the 'arm crusher' I know all the rules of porting, so I ask if HoN has an official ARM version.

Tl;dr; want DOTA on Pandora, wat do?

Please pardon me, but could you elaborate, please? Having read your post, I have no idea what "DOTA" and "HoN" are... ;)

I'm a huge DOTA fan, and I'd love to be able to play DOTA or a variant on my pandora. I know its not ideal, but I think it'd be cool. Can anyone point me to an ARM DOTA game? I googled HoN because it works with linux, but all I found was the 'arm crusher' I know all the rules of porting, so I ask if HoN has an official ARM version.

Tl;dr; want DOTA on Pandora, wat do?

A little birdy told me that the makers of DOTA, they now have their own dedicated game League of Legends (LoL) they are looking into an android port because it supports Adobe Air, and the LoL client is built completely on adobe air and would be easier to port to arm... might not happen for a while (dual core arm procs/tegra gpu) but that's what is "in the weeds".

As far as the pandora, open sourced linux version of DOTA (warcraft 3)clone... don't think so

Last edited by a moderator:
Please pardon me, but could you elaborate, please? Having read your post, I have no idea what "DOTA" and "HoN" are... ;)

DotA was/is a custom map for Warcraft III. It grew immensely popular and was remade and improved over time until it was pretty much as close as you could get to a standalone game without being one.

It has spawned a few "spin-off" games such as Heroes of Newerth (HoN) and League of Legends (LoL). I'm quite fond of LoL, and I actually never have played the original as I've never played any non-free online games.

From my experience with LoL, these games have much of the control mechanics of an MMO, but within a very time-sensitive, abbreviated context (no drawn-out quests, character development, etc.). A friend, who introduced me to LoL and the concept of DotA-like games, said that it was comparable to "WoW in 30 minutes." Having never played WoW either, I cannot say anything about the veracity of that claim, but it seems about right given what I know about it.

+1 and some links please.

Wikipedia: DotA

Wikipedia: HoN

Wikipedia: LoL

Last edited by a moderator:
From my experience with LoL, these games have much of the control mechanics of an MMO, but within a very time-sensitive, abbreviated context (no drawn-out quests, character development, etc.). A friend, who introduced me to LoL and the concept of DotA-like games, said that it was comparable to "WoW in 30 minutes." Having never played WoW either, I cannot say anything about the veracity of that claim, but it seems about right given what I know about it.
I'm a big WoW player (obviously see sig) and a LoL player (I'm level capped at level 30) played both rather extensively

In WoW it took me about 6 months of 1-2 hours day max 10 hours/week to get to character level 80

in LoL get to character level 18 in 30 min and player level 30 in about the same 6 months with equal time playing.

"wow in 30 min" is pretty accurate description of the game. But I'd also say WoW meets Warhammer (video game)

I love LoL too (DOTA flame wars avoided :ph34r: ) but I've never tried HoN. Or the original DOTA for that matter. Anyway, the Wesnoth DOTA thing sounds cool, but its hard to believe something isnt for ARM...

As the legend goes, this guy wrote a song about his favorite game. He also wrote a few others (one was about a chatbot, I think). He distributed them to his friends, someone important listened to them, and now he's a Eurodance artist. I think the girls are there for that reason.

There were these other guys who wrote this song about their favorite gaming peripheral shaped like a glove, and this woman (I think she was a girlfriend) sold me their cd. So the whole girls and games thing...what were we talking about again?

Well, there's an english version, but it's about relationships (ick) instead of gaming.

This is probably one of the most silly game ports you could ever ask for, even disregarding the lack of source for WC3/HoN/LoL.

Not only are these games more or less multiplayer only, it's so mouse intensive with all the last hitting/denying/movement that you couldn't ever hope to play it properly without a mouse. You would be doing your team a very great disservice by playing it on a Pandora.

Have you tried playing DOTA with a PS2 or xbox controller? I'd be pretty pissed if I got someone on my team doing that.

have you ever played a MMO with someone with an xbox or sixaxis controller? It's REALLY obvious that they aren't useing the ideal setup to play the game that was designed for keyboard and mouse.

a touch screen is not a substitute for an actual mouse for games like that. Is there any multiplayer multi-platform rts games on the pandora yet? I would absolutely adore to woop up on some people trying to play that on a touch screen.

have you ever played a MMO with someone with an xbox or sixaxis controller? It's REALLY obvious that they aren't useing the ideal setup to play the game that was designed for keyboard and mouse.

a touch screen is not a substitute for an actual mouse for games like that. Is there any multiplayer multi-platform rts games on the pandora yet? I would absolutely adore to woop up on some people trying to play that on a touch screen.
Wargus. I'm not going to volunteer, since you'd probably still whoop me if you gave me double the resources and a 5 minute head start :p

Back