Dosbox

dreik

Still Fresh
I really look forward buying a caanoo ( especialy after seeing how well it performs with scummvm . Because i am a big fan of that era PC adventures i wanted to know how good caanoo performs with dosbox... Will i be able to play adventure games that required a 386 DX 40mhz + 4mb RAM? do you think i ask too much? Can someone who used dosbox with Caanoo or wiz give me an idea of its pergormance?
sorry for my english... B)

dreik said:
I really look forward buying a caanoo ( especialy after seeing how well it performs with scummvm . Because i am a big fan of that era PC adventures i wanted to know how good caanoo performs with dosbox... Will i be able to play adventure games that required a 386 DX 40mhz + 4mb RAM? do you think i ask too much? Can someone who used dosbox with Caanoo or wiz give me an idea of its pergormance?

same as the wiz, 286 low 386

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
dreik said:

I too am very interested in Dosbox - is there a Caanoo port currently in progress, or is it something much further down the line?

Additionally, is the performance something that can be improved (without an impractical amount of work), or would the spec you mentioned be about as much as the Caanoo/Wiz will ever be able to produce?

dosbox requires a quite strong CPU, so it won't be really fast on Caanoo
maybe porting dosemu worths a try, although i don't know about its compatibility (and i'm pretty sure it's compatibility list if much shorter than dosbox)

glezmen said:
maybe porting dosemu worths a try, although i don't know about its compatibility (and i'm pretty sure it's compatibility list if much shorter than dosbox)

dosemu is not cross platform

Pickle said:
glezmen said:

dosemu is not cross platform

you mean the code has x86-only parts? that's shame :(

glezmen said:
you mean the code has x86-only parts? that's shame :(

It uses a combination of hardware virtualization features and strategic emulation. It is thus able to achieve nearly native speed for 8086-compatible DOS operating systems and applications on x86 compatible processors, and for 32-bit DPMI applications on x86 compatible processors as well as on x86-64 processors (Virtual 8086 mode is not available in x86-64 long mode, so DOSEMU includes an 8086 processor emulator for use with 16-bit applications.).

Currently it is only available for x86 Linux systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosemu

AJack said:
Pickle said:
dreik said:

I too am very interested in Dosbox - is there a Caanoo port currently in progress, or is it something much further down the line?

Additionally, is the performance something that can be improved (without an impractical amount of work), or would the spec you mentioned be about as much as the Caanoo/Wiz will ever be able to produce?
well a low 386 is fine by me... On youtube i saw a wiz running warcraft 1 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0VJIEDMfVI ) which require 386/20 and 4mb RAM... to tell the truth it was running decently. But Ajack above has a very good point: is this build of dosbox final or is it possible to see a significant performance boost in the future?

well a low 386 is fine by me... On youtube i saw a wiz running warcraft 1 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0VJIEDMfVI ) which require 386/20 and 4mb RAM... to tell the truth it was running decently. But Ajack above has a very good point: is this build of dosbox final or is it possible to see a significant performance boost in the future?

At first I thought this link pointed to dosbox playing warcraft. But I think it must be the Warcraft port for the Wiz. I remember that I could never play anything in dosbox in a decent speed on Wiz. Even games that run fine with very few cycles like Dangerous Dave or Lotus 3. No, I did played them but either in half the speed or breaking sound. I don't expect better from dosbox in the caanoo but I'd love to try it anyway.

Optimus said:

At first I thought this link pointed to dosbox playing warcraft. But I think it must be the Warcraft port for the Wiz. I remember that I could never play anything in dosbox in a decent speed on Wiz. Even games that run fine with very few cycles like Dangerous Dave or Lotus 3. No, I did played them but either in half the speed or breaking sound. I don't expect better from dosbox in the caanoo but I'd love to try it anyway.

I've heard reports that games like the original Duke Nukem trilogy and the Commander Keen games run very well, and I can recall someone saying that Duke 2 ran 'almost full-speed'. If games of that era, i.e. original Duke, Bio Menace, Keen, Secret Agent etc run well, that's more than enough incentive for me to pursue it.

is there a compatability list of dosbox games for the CAANOO or the WIZ?

Yeah regardless of emulation limited to a 286/low 386, I'd still love DOSBox for Caanoo. I have some text-based adventure games that should run decently on a 286, and they'd be awesome to run on the Caanoo!

SiRTHUNDER516 said:
Yeah regardless of emulation limited to a 286/low 386, I'd still love DOSBox for Caanoo. I have some text-based adventure games that should run decently on a 286, and they'd be awesome to run on the Caanoo!

Absolutely, and depending on how many cycles the Caanoo can pump out you might be able to run a lot more :) Out of interest, how many cycles can the Wiz produce? If the Caanoo can theoretically offer at least as much performance as the Wiz I could start making a list of games that should run well.

Please tell me that a caanoo perfomrs like a dingoo (or better) with dosbox.... :rolleyes:
if alone in the dark plays like this i would be really pleased... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WwYIFJ7fyQ (well, no with the game itself but with the promise that it could be possible to run older games in playable speeds

Back