Dosbox Question

Devin.tesla

Website
Visit site
Hi please no immediate flame wars

If dosbox has the power to run at low 486 high 386 speeds is it posable to run windows 3.1 or more importantly windows for workgroups 3.11

The reason I ask is is I have some recovery and hardware testing software that runs on them and I have bin keeping an old 386 around just so I can use the 9pin serial-port null-modem for hardware testing and If a can get the Pandora to use a usb to 9 pin serial I can give my 386 to the museum in town that has been asking for it.

It's been running on an N900. Let me check if I can find it...

edit:
http://www.tuug.fi/~toni/serendipity/

B4 you promise to give away your 386, make sure you got yourself a usb -> com port device that is supported... And test it out. It would suck to have to go to the museum and use the 386...
B!

Mr B said:
B4 you promise to give away your 386, make sure you got yourself a usb -> com port device that is supported... And test it out. It would suck to have to go to the museum and use the 386...
B!
I already have had to go to the museum to use hardware, 5 1/4 floppies are a pain to work with :) There very cool about that, I have used it to get C64, and Amiga files over to my emulators. It's a very hands on place they usually have 60 or so of the computers set up for you to play on.

I do have usb->com I use on a VM on my laptop (ubuntu 9.10) but the vm never got it quite right.

Will see what I can do just wondering if any one had tried to run windows on dosbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
dev45 said:
Mr B said:
B!
I already have had to go to the museum to use hardware, 5 1/4 floppies are a pain to work with :) There very cool about that, I have used it to get C64, and Amiga files over to my emulators. It's a very hands on place they usually have 60 or so of the computers set up for you to play on.

I do have usb->com I use on a VM on my laptop (ubuntu 9.10) but the vm never got it quite right.

Will see what I can do just wondering if any one had tried to run windows on dosbox.

I might run it just to satisfy those that wonder. Really there isnt too much special to run win 3.11. You know it can run on the gp2x/wiz?

thanks Pickle

I never tried on the gp2x.
I never relay got dosbox run quit right likely the firmware I have a F200 (B) with firmware 2.0.0
I'll grab the newest dos box and give it a shot.

Pickle..

Ever tried win3 and civ2? Requirements were1995/6 era, low end 486 .. Like 30mhz range iirc.

Hmm, that would rule my wod (pardon the pun)

jeff

skeezix said:
Pickle..

Ever tried win3 and civ2? Requirements were1995/6 era, low end 486 .. Like 30mhz range iirc.

Hmm, that would rule my wod (pardon the pun)

jeff

i have a civ2 disc, although i dont remember it being old enough to run in win 3.11, but that might make it worth showing win3 even more.

Doesn't the EXT port have the pins for a serial port on it? I figure there'll be an adapter for it. What kind of software are you using on windows 3.11 anyway?

skeezix said:
There were a half dozen versions of civ2.. Test if time was xp, but original civ2 was win3 I think :)
According to Wikipedia it was DOS only and then re-issued in 2002 for WinME and WinXP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_II

OTOH CivNet (released in 1995) had Windows 3.1/95 support.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_(video_game)

Well it's Wikipedia, it might be wrong :) And Moby Games says it was Windows 3.x :p

EDIT: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/ says Windows 3.1/95 and I think they can be trusted.

I have Civilisation II for Windows (it ran on 3.1, and 95 and xp, but not 7 :-( ). I wonder if it was like Sim City - it had both a DOS and Win 3.1 version?

CIV II is probably still my favourite of the entire series. I think if we have to rely on running the Win 3.1 version then we aren't going to be playing CIV II

Laurent said:
According to Wikipedia it was DOS only and then re-issued in 2002 for WinME and WinXP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_II

Well it's Wikipedia, it might be wrong :) And Moby Games says it was Windows 3.x :p

Yep, Wikipedia is wrong, I still have the original 3.1 version from years ago. It used WinG for animation because it came out before DirectX.

Although I see from Wikipedia it was ported to the PlayStation (I assumed it was PC only) - so we could play that version

paulguy said:
Doesn't the EXT port have the pins for a serial port on it? I figure there'll be an adapter for it.
It has UART lines, yes, but I'm pretty sure they're logic level, not RS232 level. An adapter would have to include a Max232 or something similar. Not a big deal, just not something that can be done directly.

paulguy said:
Doesn't the EXT port have the pins for a serial port on it? I figure there'll be an adapter for it. What kind of software are you using on windows 3.11 anyway?

I use it for low level system control. I forget what it's called I connects by null-modem and allows me to do hardware testing hd read right and motherboard testing. There is a PCI card and a set of BIOS chips and you swap the bios chip with the right chip and insert the card and use the other computer to out put all the data so that you can test all the parts because none of it's truly in use.

only relay works with P3 and older, but I get my use out of it.
I will likely go to the museum as well once the rest of my 15 computer it works on are gone.

dev45 said:

If dosbox has the power to run at low 486 high 386 speeds is it posable to run windows 3.1 or more importantly windows for workgroups 3.11

The reason I ask is is I have some recovery and hardware testing software that runs on them and I have bin keeping an old 386 around just so I can use the 9pin serial-port null-modem for hardware testing and If a can get the Pandora to use a usb to 9 pin serial I can give my 386 to the museum in town that has been asking for it.

I've got software for managing some HID building access locks. It's only in win 3.11 so i have the same issue. Virtualbox works great with a usb serial adapter.

Although win 3.11 working on dosbox on your pandora would probably be very cool, I wouldn't depend on the solution. The pandora hardware isn't easily available. I'd stick with something that you could replace quickly if the hardware were to die, like a cheap laptop with virtual box.

Trey said:
dev45 said:

I've got software for managing some HID building access locks. It's only in win 3.11 so i have the same issue. Virtualbox works great with a usb serial adapter.

Although win 3.11 working on dosbox on your pandora would probably be very cool, I wouldn't depend on the solution. The pandora hardware isn't easily available. I'd stick with something that you could replace quickly if the hardware were to die, like a cheap laptop with virtual box.

Don't worry I will not depend on it to highly I still have 3x386 and 4x486 and an old p1 or 2 that could be made to fit the bill. My old p1 laptop has done so from time to time as well but it battery is long since shot.

I would just like to use the Pandora if I can
One more thing I have in my pocket

The thing I don't understand is that if the PSP can run 95 (and even 98), and the Pandora is more powerful in every aspect (and yes, I know that clock-speed comparison doesn't work), why does everyone here seem to think that the Pandy will not be able to get any faster than a 486? It seems that with a dedicated fanbase the Pandy should reach at least to a low-speed P1 in emulating. I just think that everyone here is overly-pessimistic. I mean, there were plenty of people saying that N64 emulation was unlikely, but then those skilled Devs (sorry! I can't ever remember their names... Adventus? Ari64?) managed to pull it off without a thousand other coders helping them.

But there's probably something I'm missing here... Is there some particular quirk of the hardware or something? Is the PSP especially powerful when it comes to emulating X86 processors?
Could Exo or someone shed some light on this?

fearofshorts said:
I just think that everyone here is overly-pessimistic.
Cautious would be a better word. :) The last thing we want is for everyone to think they can fire up Win95 + Starcraft, then get disappointed when it doesn't work (ps. it won't work). There may be games that claimed to need a low Pentium / high 486 back in the day, that will run on Pandora. Then there will be lower spec games that present unexpected performance challenges. For now it's best for the devs to announce what they think is a reliable target, and let anything else be a bonus.

Just on the N64 note, the devs are Ari64 (wrote the dynarec, aka the guts of it), Adventus (wrote the OpenGL plugin for hardware acceleration), with some input from JayFoxRox, Pickle and Zodttd as far as I know.

Back