Donate An X86 Laptop/desktop?

aaron11193

Hey Telstra, I Hate You.
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone had any spare x86 laptops or destop computers lying around, 300mHz+ will do i just want to run xubuntu linux on something so that i can do some 2x developing. I don't have anything big enough to bac up my mac so i can't put xubuntu on there.....
If anyone donates a computer they will recieve any alpha/beta versions of any apps/games that i develop to test if they chose.
I would possibly be developing a Guitar Hero clone in the near future but i can't if i dont have a computer........

Thanks

Aza.

If anyone would donate a new Mercedes to me, I'd possibly use it to drive to the supermarket. The donator(s) would get, say, a dozen eggs each time I'd drive to the grocer's.

Why do you need an x86 machine to develop for the GP2X? You'll be cross compiling anyway - set up a toolchain on OS X.

aaron11193 said:
I was just wondering if anyone had any spare x86 laptops or destop computers lying around, 300mHz+ will do i just want to run xubuntu linux on something so that i can do some 2x developing. I don't have anything big enough to bac up my mac so i can't put xubuntu on there.....
But... You don't need an x86 machine and you don't really need linux either. You can develope 2x applications directly on your mac....

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
But... You don't need an x86 machine and you don't really need linux either. You can develope 2x applications directly on your mac....
I know but i run OSX 10.3 and can't download the new Xcode tools because it won't run on my machine...... and i can't find the old Xcode tools OR OSX 10.4 on any torrent sites (Im so scabby i didnt pay for either my computer(donated from an old teacher =]) NOR the OS(donated by torrentspy =]) so no go.........................

@don That was kind of what i expected to get but it was worth a try. Besides, Mercedes($50,000+) > 300 mHz computer($50-$100)

Aza.

If you didn't pay for the OS, why don't you install a Linux distro on your Mac?

Alex. said:
If you didn't pay for the OS, why don't you install a Linux distro on your Mac?
I tried to install xubuntu but to partition a mac hard drive you need to initialize it, which means wip all the data off, and i dont have an external HDD i can backup onto and ive got too much stuff to put onto CDs.

Is there any way i can partition a mac HDD without initializing it?? I know for sure i have at least 5 GB of free space but it is in the "Macintosh" Partition so i cant install linux on it...

javaJake said:
Same situation here - the old x86 laptops I had lying around that were of no use to me are now used by others. I'll keep my eyes peeled. :(
Ill see if i can scab a clamshell G3 or old x86 from skool after the holidays if i remember.
In the meantime, my offer still stands :p

Back