Doki Doki Penguin Land - Review

Jackie B

Still Fresh
Website
theblog.jacksonboyle.com
A great puzzler for the Sega Genesis.

dokidokipengmaintitle.jpg

The original of this game was (apparently) made in 1985. My girlfriend has fond memories of playing one version or another on her Gameboy. The copy I got a hold of and have been playing dates from 1992. Its a great little puzzler about a penguin in a panic - doki doki is an onomatopoeic word representing the sound of a beating heart, and can be used to convey any kind of excitement.

The basic premise is as simple as it is strange - you're a penguin who must deliver an egg to his girlfriend, Penkochan. The egg has a present in it, and as eggs are fragile you must be very, very careful.

You start in Penguin's house which is conveniently located directly above Penkochan's. The only drawback to this convenience being that there are obstacles to overcome before you can make it to her pad. You can jump about, and roll the egg, but the option you'll see the most use out of will be your penguin pecking power - Penguin has to peck through the floor, and then roll the egg through to the next level below, taking care that it doesn't fall too far, or SMASH!

dokidokipeng2.jpg

As you progress through the levels, new obstacles present themselves : steel floors, special chutes that eggs can go through but penguins can't (and vice versa) polar bears with a propensity for punching poor penguins and so on and so on.

The graphics are cute and just right for the theme of the game, and, I suppose, the target audience (hey, we're all big kids, right?)
The only letdown about this game would be the music - standard repetitive, inane and infuriating puzzler fare. Best to turn it off if you're playing in the wee hours of the morning or else you might get the controller smashing red mist descending.
But, oh, its so addictive...

This is a re-jig of a post I did for my blog. :D

Was this the game that nintendo disguised as smb2? Does anyone remember that. Ive heard that after smb1 nin. was hard pressed for a sequal and fiddied around with the doki doki a bit. Is this true? smb2 always did look kind of strange. :huh:

Was this the game that nintendo disguised as smb2? Does anyone remember that. Ive heard that after smb1 nin. was hard pressed for a sequal and fiddied around with the doki doki a bit. Is this true? smb2 always did look kind of strange. :huh:

No, that was "Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic". Doki Doki is sort of a common phrase in Japan. Wikipedia has the full story on the US SMB2 conversion here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2

Last edited by a moderator:
Back