Does anyone know where I can buy a PS2 linux kit?

lhn555

Still Fresh
Title. ^^^^

Edit: and not for hundreds/thousands of dollars like on ebay. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
The software he (ebay) is talking about is most likely PS2 Linux kernelloader 2.7, with Free McBoot on the memory card in order to boot the .ELF

The software is as says, totally free. But $20 for an 8mb memory card is a little steep.

If you would like, I could install this software on a memory card and send it to you. Either send me one of your memory cards or I could pickup a second hand one, install the software, and mail it. I would only charge you the cost of the card and postage. This will allow you to do anything basically. Install official sony linux on a non-sony HDD, install non-official linux, run homebrew, ect.

The Playstation 2 was the system that got me into the "hacking scene" per se. My original intent as a teen was to play SNES emulators on the PS2, so I found the cheapest way to bypass Sony's copy protection (disc swap method) in order to play homebrew. I know the system inside and out, it has a special place in my heart  :wub:

Free McBoot basically uses an exploit in the PS2 OS. When the system turns on, it checks the memory card for any updates (there was really only one PS2 menu update, in Japan). People eventually found a way to trick the system into accepting a hacked .ELF as an update that exploited the OS, allowing it to run anything the user desires. Your system does not have to be opened or physically modified in any way for this to work. Just plug the memory card with Free McBoot installed into the PS2 and go. To unmod, remove the memory card and reset, it's that simple.

The only downfall to this exploit, is you need a way to install Free McBoot on a memory card, and the only way to do that is with a PS2 already modded. (This is where I come in ;) )

I no longer use any type of hardware exploit. Free McBoot does everything I would ever need. Any other exploit/hack might have some speed or compatibility advantages, but FMCB (for the most part) has a workaround.

The only info about your system that I will need is the model version. PS2 version identification. You can also list off any 3rd party PS2 software you may have (ARMax, Codebreaker, Swap Magic, ect). You may be able to install FMCB yourself!

Respect, my fellow Free McBoot user.  I use a few Playstation 2s as different purpose computers in differnt rooms.  I have a tweaked Codebreaker ELF which returns you to your PS2 start screen instead of trying to load a disc, so you can start your game loader and play hard drive games using Codebreaker codes. 

PS2 Linux can be used with almost all USB keyboards and mice, so you don't need official Sony hardware.

Free McBoot will simply be a method to boot into Linux, and boot the installer.

I have a copy of official PS2 Linux I can include (no charge, just discs) if you like. The official Sony Linux is OK. I'm pretty sure, by default, you need a disc to boot it. Probably can be booted without a disc, using Free McBoot but I haven't tried. An unofficial version of PS2 Linux would probably give you a better experience overall, but Sony's can be used perfectly fine.

You will need:

- Phat PS2

- Memory card (linux needs it's own memory card, this CANNOT be the same memory card Free McBoot is on)

- 3.5" HDD, must be IDE

- PS2 Ethernet Adapter

- USB Keyboard

- USB Mouse

Some HDDs don't line up with the network adapter properly. You may need to modify your network adapter's metal shielding in order for the connectors to line up. Here is a web site containing HDD compatibility info. It got infected with a javascript virus/bug, so make sure you are running no-script, scriptsafe, or some other extension that blocks javascript. www(dot)ps2drives(dot)x-pec(dot)com

The website itself is sketchy (java problem), but the information is reliable.

I have just installed FreeMcBoot on my SCPH-10000 (the v0 Japanese unit) last night, by coincidence. It is an amazing piece of software and I so grateful to the guys who wrote it and to l_oliviera who hassled them and helped them get the support in for the early PCMCIA based Japanese models.

I installed freemcboot on my slim PS2 with a cheatcd that is able to load custom code from a usbpendrive.

It was the only method for me as my system was not modded or anything and nobody with a modded ps2 was around.

Back