Do Re Mi Fantasy: Milon's Quest

lizard808uk

Child of the 80s
Website
Visit site
If you're bored with Mario and fed up with the little moustachioed plumber then try this game out for SNES from your favourite ROM distributor.

The Japanese name for the game is Doremi Fantasy Milon no DokiDoki Daiboken or Do Re Mi Fantasy: Milons Quest. Its 16MBit and by Hudson Soft (famous for Bomberman).

Graphics: 9/10

The animation of some of the backgrounds is quite impressive, for example when you land on a tree stump, the tree has a frown like expression, or when you do something that hurts poor old Milon and he looks like he's really hurt. Graphics are quality for this game, things like when he does his special bubble attack are pretty well defined. There a bit manga-esque and in places can be almost too cutesy. I think the game was developed for the 12+ age range. But here I am 24, and this is the only thing apart from Doom64 that chills me out when I commute to work.

Sound: 7/10

Its hard to rate sound in a platformer, but the sounds are in the correct places. Theres a lot of variety between the levels. The best effect so far that I've found is the Jaffa cake platform squidgy effect. Grade A to Hudson for that one. On the whole very good - the music world is particularly interesting with wood pipes, pianos, and cymbals for young Milon to interact with.

Playability: 8/10

Well the first few levels are a piece of cake. The levels do get slightly harder but so far not really THAT challenging. I guess the difficulty would be like doing Donut Plains with the odd Vanilla Dome equivalent in difficulty. Its more a chillout game or something you can just sit and vegetate while playing (perfect for commuting) The Japanese in the game is pretty easy to understand as far as I've found, but you can get the translation patch here:
Doremi.zip

Patch Utility here
Patch Utility

Gameplay: 8/10

Its a platformer. Its a good platformer. Does it beat Mario? Well with all the hacks floating around probably not. More like an Anti Mario with added cuteness. Perfect for that 20 mins / half hour where you either cant think wtf you should be doing or sitting on the tube and not doing much.

ok.. heres some screenshots I've pilfered....

Doremi08.jpg

Doremi06.jpg

Doremi04.jpg

wow this game rocks
and it plays very good on opensnes too
full speed with sound at 200mhz
but a sometimes it will jump over that to like 150% but that rare
and its crazy fun

the only thing i don't like is the translation patch doesn't seem that good

yeh I know. Thats why I like the original Japanese :D I play on 166 f/s 2 and it is very playable. Obviously if you have 200mhz go for it.

I have loads of quality Jap games I need to review sometime. Some real hidden gems. This one I've been playing a lot recently, so I chose this to review.

Hopefully in the not too distant future I'll review:

Super Sanrio Smash Ball
Poi Poi Ninjya World
Hakkensetsu Pro Baseball '93
Super Genjin 2

yes please review some of the less known games,i'm tired of reviews of games we all know perfectly well

it works for me in 0.3

it will run sooooo good in v0.3 when it is upgraded to support overclocking higher than 166

yeah i read some of this and i want to know where i can download this mario alternative. please

This is a Rom, and not a PD one. So you can't get it legal. And no-one here will tell you where to get it.

Back