Distibutors

This is going to have to be worked out very carefully due to the first run only being 3000 units, but we will let you know closer to the time.

craigix said:
This is going to have to be worked out very carefully due to the first run only being 3000 units, but we will let you know closer to the time.
Ooohhhhhh the tension builds :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'll be pre-ordering it, then.

Ravnos said:
I'd guess that GP2XStore will be the official North American distributor.
I never got my wrist strap. :(

craigix said:

3000 units!!! can you let me know when we can pre-order before the other 2999 other people do :D

craigix said:
Will these be the first edition units?

Hirolaser said:
craigix said:
Will these be the first edition units?

No these will be third edition units. They keep the first and second editions for later on.

atomicthumbs said:
I guess I'll be pre-ordering it, then.

Ravnos said:
I'd guess that GP2XStore will be the official North American distributor.
I never got my wrist strap. :(

Now doesn't that just piss you off, I got an empty envelope with a slit in it instead of payback on an sd card from them. They could do a lot better.

wow only 3000 units? The production costs must be sky high!!

The Hardware I'm working on has a minimum run of 200,000.

I want to pre order Pandora now and give craig et al a chance of making some money

_rick_

Before the 3000 units we will have a smaller run of 'First Editions' which will go to devs.

Then the 3000 second run has the advantage of any fixes needed from that first run, and also some ready to use software from the devs.

The 3000 will be split over the USA/UK/Germany/Turkey. This should cover a good area of you guys, you should all be quite close to one of these areas, apart from our friends in Aus who will have to pay overseas shipping (sorry!).

We are not rushing anything, if there is anything we are not happy with we will delay the launch. We will ONLY take preorders once final production is under way of the 3000 batch.

We hope this setup will avoid any GP2X MK1 issues occuring on the pandora.

craigix said:
Before the 3000 units we will have a smaller run of 'First Editions' which will go to devs.

Then the 3000 second run has the advantage of any fixes needed from that first run, and also some ready to use software from the devs.

The 3000 will be split over the USA/UK/Germany/Turkey. This should cover a good area of you guys, you should all be quite close to one of these areas, apart from our friends in Aus who will have to pay overseas shipping (sorry!).

We are not rushing anything, if there is anything we are not happy with we will delay the launch. We will ONLY take preorders once final production is under way of the 3000 batch.

We hope this setup will avoid any GP2X MK1 issues occuring on the pandora.
You are both learned and wise Mr X, I can't wait :D

Is the estimated release date of March/April still true? Assuming eveything henceforth goes to plan? It seems to be quite tight, but I'll be happy if it's still the case. :)

Well, it sounds about right if Craigix is planning on shipping units to developers late January, and them writing up software over February. That'd leave March to do some final testing and tweaking if needed, and then April would be when the lucky ones get the first batch.

All guesses, mind you, I've never ever ever dealt with hardware, just software. :)

Craig, I mentioned this in a different forum, but there's a shop in Edinburgh (can't remember the name of it) that plans on probably having it. I was wondering if you've been in talks with any shops in Edinburgh about it, as I'd quite like to get a hands-on with it before I actually buy it.

I've already started promoting it to the people in my uni class, and I just know that it would be a major bonus if people can actually try them in shops.

You've probably debated this in private already, but have you thought of giving physical shops an introduction price? I worked in a privately owned photo store for two and a half years before I moved to Edinburgh to study, and we would be a lot more likely to try our hand at selling little known products if we were given a good percentage off on a demo unit for the store.

We often got deals like "If you buy X units at regular price, we'll give you X% off on a demo unit for the store." which led to us being a lot more happy about selling lesser known brands of MP3 players than iPods, which we never made any money from nor got any special prices on. I would think that the same could be true about things like the Pandora. There are tons of good gaming shops and computer stores in Edinburgh, and I'd love for one of them to have it, at least. Maybe not for the 3000 run, but the next one.

Magnulus said:
Craig, I mentioned this in a different forum, but there's a shop in Edinburgh (can't remember the name of it) that plans on probably having it. I was wondering if you've been in talks with any shops in Edinburgh about it, as I'd quite like to get a hands-on with it before I actually buy it.
OT: If you remember the name, I'd be interested - I'm studying up here now, and currently the only shops for gadgetry I know of are Computer Exchange, Gamestation, and Chips - any others would be a good addition to my repetoire...

Back