DisplayLink external DVI/VGA display WORKS! Now on to fine tuning it.

I don't use FullHD, but rather 1280x1024 on a 17" display.

My main application is the NoteCase Pro outliner, that does all my information and task management, but also word processing, spreadsheets, the console for work on the system and on my remote server, that hosts my web sites and the NoteCase Pro Plugin feed for example, for programming,... All that is much more convenient on a display larger than 800x480.

One question, what do you do with a Pandora displaying Full HD ? What applications make sense to use with it ? (browsing, I guess?)

Writing this.

1: Browsing

2: Hopefully making presentations with LibreOffice

3: I also need some VGA out for University. I can now finally make my Presentations on my Pandora and show them with my Pandora.

4: Maybe some Statistics with "R"

5: Use my Pandora as real Desktop.

oh, I thought, because you started with "If I start Zaxxon"...

Question: Step 2: Do you let it boot with or without X being started automatically (i.e. with or without prior editing of the default initdefault in /etc/inittab)?

If without, your procedure is the same as mine, however, step 4 "open a terminal" sounds like you first boot into x and then start another instance of x. This sounds interesting and I wonder how you do it. What xorg.conf do you use for that? The normal DisplayLink-enabled org.conf?

Oh, this would make sense, as that xorg.conf works well for both setups, with and without a DL adapter connected.

Right. I start a new instance of x.

If I go to the shutdown menu the only thing I can do is to logout. Then I'm in the first x session.

I didn't modify anything except to copy the file you uploaded for me and out it into it's directory.

Right. I start a new instance of x.

If I go to the shutdown menu the only thing I can do is to logout. Then I'm in the first x session.

I didn't modify anything except to copy the file you uploaded for me and out it into it's directory.

Cool! Just tested, works here too.

Not a real solution to the hotplug problem, but at least a small improvement.

I will add that to the Wiki tutorial.

Now, if there is a way to "shift" all open applications from one X server instance to another one...? Any ideas?

Now, if there is a way to "shift" all open applications from one X server instance to another one...? Any ideas?

Me?

Forget it.

That's a job for Linux-Swat.

Maybe this one is a solution:

We could use a script that:

1: Checks which programs are running

2: Stores some logfile about those running programs.

3: Shut down the programs.

4: Starts the new x session

Then we run another script that:

1: Checks the Logfile

2: Starts the programs in the logfile

It's just some idea.

A big disadvantage is the shutdown of the programs which might cause loss of data and it'll be some work to reload stuff.

As I didn't do stuff like that before I don't know whether it's possible to store more information about the programs that are shutdown (which file is loaded in a word processor for example) and if it's possible to force the programs to save the state they're currently in. Maybe some folder which stores the data and they'll be reloaded from there. The original files won't be modified this way.

As said: Just some idea.

Frankly, I don't think that this will be a good way to go. Even if it's possible to store information about what programs are open (ps), and maybe even which files they have loaded (lsof?). Shutting down such programs automatically inevitably results in data loss, if the opened files are not saved.

I merely hoped, that there may be a solution to avoid quitting the programs, by leaving them open in their original state and just handing over their X server connections to the other instance of the X server.

Too tired today for more research. This has to wait until later.

Meanwhile, you can use the "remember session" from the Xfce logout menu (after having saved your data).

Maybe someone can help me here. I have an i-tec USB Display Adapter (VGA Displaylink) that works great with my pandora.

Now i own a Sentio Superbook, a laptop-lookalike gadget, that has a display, keyboard, trackpad, usb-hub but no computer inside. Its only for connecting other devices, like android-phones or tablets or raspberry-pi. It works great with several android-devices here.

I tried this device together with my pandora too, but no luck. It didnt show the screen. The screen turn from an screen-saver to black, witch is a good sign, but no pandora-screen. The keyboard works like an usb-keyboard. The touchpad (mouse) didnt work.

Here are the results from dmesg.
dmesg1: connecting the working i-tec-adapter
dmesg2: connecting the Sentio Superbook (only keyboard works)

Attachments

• dmesg1.txt
    20.8 KB · Views: 221
  • dmesg2.txt
    21 KB · Views: 211
Maybe someone can help me here. I have an i-tec USB Display Adapter (VGA Displaylink) that works great with my pandora.

Now i own a Sentio Superbook, a laptop-lookalike gadget, that has a display, keyboard, trackpad, usb-hub but no computer inside. Its only for connecting other devices, like android-phones or tablets or raspberry-pi. It works great with several android-devices here.

I tried this device together with my pandora too, but no luck. It didnt show the screen. The screen turn from an screen-saver to black, witch is a good sign, but no pandora-screen. The keyboard works like an usb-keyboard. The touchpad (mouse) didnt work.

Here are the results from dmesg.
dmesg1: connecting the working i-tec-adapter
dmesg2: connecting the Sentio Superbook (only keyboard works)

I think it need some kind of driver, from your dmesg2 something is recognised but it's not enough:
[ 12.964447] generic-usb 0003:0603:0002.0001: hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [SIPODEV USB Composite Device] on usb-ehci-omap.0-2.2/input0
[ 13.082305] usb 1-2.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-omap
[ 13.200744] usb 1-2.4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 1 but max is 0
[ 13.200744] usb 1-2.4: config 1 has 2 interfaces, different from the descriptor's value: 1
[ 13.201599] usb 1-2.4: New USB device found, idVendor=2e48, idProduct=4293
[ 13.201599] usb 1-2.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 13.201629] usb 1-2.4: Product: Superbook
[ 13.201629] usb 1-2.4: Manufacturer: Sentio
[ 13.201629] usb 1-2.4: SerialNumber: 205232584852
[ 13.205780] input: Sentio Superbook as /devices/platform/usbhs-omap.0/ehci-omap.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.4/1-2.4:1.0/input/input8
[ 13.206359] generic-usb 0003:2E48:4293.0003: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Sentio Superbook] on usb-ehci-omap.0-2.4/input0
[ 13.574523] usb 1-2.1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-omap
[ 13.693756] usb 1-2.1: New USB device found, idVendor=17e9, idProduct=ff00
[ 13.693756] usb 1-2.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 13.693786] usb 1-2.1: Product: Superbook S1H
[ 13.693786] usb 1-2.1: Manufacturer: DisplayLink
[ 13.693786] usb 1-2.1: SerialNumber: SNTH721001
reading here https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/displaylink-debian seems the product is only work with kernel 4.x (Pandora have 3.2) but looking at this github page it seems the guy modified to work with other kernel...but maybe it need to be compiled for our kernel release.

Reactions: rSl
I think it need some kind of driver, from your dmesg2 something is recognised but it's not enough:

reading here https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/displaylink-debian seems the product is only work with kernel 4.x (Pandora have 3.2) but looking at this github page it seems the guy modified to work with other kernel...but maybe it need to be compiled for our kernel release.
Thanks for your fast answer. So its not possible to get it to work?

Most probably not, because it need a kernel module or some evdi.so library, i don't have looked too much.
On latest drivers May 2020, there is folder for ARM inside but is for HardFloat ABI (most probably for Rpi) and not directly usable on Pandora (that have SoftFloat).
Sorry don't know how to help more.

Most probably not, because it need a kernel module or some evdi.so library, i don't have looked too much.
On latest drivers May 2020, there is folder for ARM inside but is for HardFloat ABI (most probably for Rpi) and not directly usable on Pandora (that have SoftFloat).
Sorry don't know how to help more.
Thanks for your work. I will wait for the Pyra to get it to work. ;)

Back