Disabling screen saver

Michoko

Hi,

When playing videos using the great PanPlayer beta, the screen saver triggers on a regular basis. I'd like to disable it so I don't have to move the nubs when the screen goes blank. Could you please tell me how to do this? I checked the power management options, but I'm already on "Never" for the screen shutdown option.

Thank you! :)

I did it by following the instructions in this thread on the other boards.

Please note that although it worked fine for me other people have had problems after trying this, my advice is to type the new entry in rather than cutting and pasting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your replys, I changed the conf file, and had no problem rebooting. I still have to check if it's been taken into account, but I don't see what it wouldn't work ;)

Cheers!

Edit: Working as expected ;)

Linux newb here.

I tried this and on bootup it hung for approximately 11 minutes before I got a terminal that allowed me to fix it using Prometheus's instructions. I thought I had entered the syntax exactly. I'm pretty nervous now as I haven't the first idea why it went wrong. I still would like to disable the screensaver when watching videos.

Prometheus's fix below:

just did this, copying it as it appears in this thread, and it left my Pandora unable to boot into X! It eventually dropped to a console (I'm not sure when, as I had to put it down to eat dinner after it hung), where I was able to remove the addition that I made to xorg.conf, by using nano (for those unfamiliar with it, this is a terminal-based text editor - it also happens to be my favourite such application :p ).

If this happens to you, log in with your normal username and password (the ones you set during first boot), and use this;

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then you just need to remove the addition that was made, then press CTRL and O (to "Write Out" the file), enter to confirm that you want to save it, and CTRL and X to exit nano. Then type sudo shutdown -h now to shut the Pandora down. When it comes back up again, it will be able to boot into X normally.

^ If it's of any help (and as a follow-up to my quoted fix, above), I can say that I eventually got it to work - quite recently, in fact.

What you have to do (aside from avoiding typographical errors) is make sure that the formatting of the entry you're adding is lined up with the other ones that already exist in the file you're editing - the problem seems to come from not having the right amount of spaces/tabs to make the new entry match up. If that sounds strange, all I can say is that that was my experience of it.

If you get it right, it will boot up again just fine and the screen-blanking is gone for good.

Thanks muchly for your help Prometheus. I tried lining it up with tabs... that didn't work, so then I tried with spaces and it booted up fine, and the screensaver hasn't come on yet so mission accomplished :)

^ Glad to be of assistance, and I'm happy to hear that you got it working. It's much better that way, I find. :p

Back