Disable keyring for wlan

rohezal

Advanced Member
Hi, I want to autoconnect the Pandora at startup to my wlan. But it asks allways for the keyring password, to access the wlan passwords. Is their a way to avoid typing in the password at each reboot? I would disable my keyring completly if it is necessary to do it.

I never get asked for a keyring password, but I think it gets disabled if you have a log in password set.

Can it be disabled when autologin is off?

I want to do this, wake the pandora all 30 minutes and sync files with my raspberry pi.

write cronjob which starts this script all 30 minutes (6:01 till 23:31):

if(date -h > 6 am)

/home/rohezal/enable_wlan.sh

pnd_run /media/sd/pandora/menu/syncthing.pnd

then after minutes this script should start (6:06 till 23:36)

if(date -h > 6 am)

killall pnd_run

/home/rohezal/disbable_wlan.sh

Last edited by a moderator:
It's possible, I think if you set an empty password for the keyring it should work and it might have asked you at some point when you first used it whether you want to use the key ring at all, if you can get it to ask you again (i.e. find and remove the relevant config files so you get a new start)...

Yes, if you leave the keyring setup input field empty and hit OK (not cancel!) then keyring is disabled. I also remember that there are files you can delete to disable the keyring (had to do this because I hit "cancel" instead of OK at the first keyring dialouge) but not sur anymore where to find these files.

Last edited by a moderator:
delete the directory "~/.gnome2/keyrings"

That is, the .gnome2 directory in your home folder has a "keyrings" directory: delete that.

That will delete any password for wifi points you've already saved but it will also reinitialize the keyring password. As others have mentioned, the first time it asks for a keyring password just leave it blank and hit OK to never be asked again.

delete the directory "~/.gnome2/keyrings"

That is, the .gnome2 directory in your home folder has a "keyrings" directory: delete that.

That will delete any password for wifi points you've already saved but it will also reinitialize the keyring password. As others have mentioned, the first time it asks for a keyring password just leave it blank and hit OK to never be asked again.
Very good.  Thanks!  I've been trying to disable keyring without success until now. :)  

Would deleting this dir sort my issue out?

... When I enable WiFi, my Pandora attempts to connect to my old wireless profile, virgin media one, which I then cancel and it hooks onto my actual wireless ok.

I want to 'forget this network' for the virgin media profile.

What's the best way, can I just delete the keyrings dir then establish connection again to my actual WiFi?

My Pandora's in the other room and I'm too lazy to get it but I think this is correct.

Right-click on the wifi icon and choose edit. You should be able to remove the offending wifi connection.

If that doesn't work, deleting the directory I mentioned before will remove all keys.

Would deleting this dir sort my issue out?

... When I enable WiFi, my Pandora attempts to connect to my old wireless profile, virgin media one, which I then cancel and it hooks onto my actual wireless ok.

I want to 'forget this network' for the virgin media profile.

What's the best way, can I just delete the keyrings dir then establish connection again to my actual WiFi?
Using SZ xfce? Doesn't right-click NM, select Edit Connections, choose Wireless tab, select old connections, hit delete work?

This is a later addition to this old thread, but I add my two cents.

If you want the pandora to connect to a wifi network without asking for the keyring password you need to create a network connection as "Available to all users".

To do this you need to launch the network manager applet as root:

killall nm-applet
sudo nm-applet

then right click on the network manager and select "Edit Connections".

Go to the Wireless tab and click on the Add button.

Fill all info carefully (SSID and password) and check the box "Available to all users" below.

You can shift-drag to move the window and access the lower part.
Click Apply to finalize all.

Back